Gransnet forums

Christmas

Dreading Christmas this year

(37 Posts)
LesLee7 Sat 19-Sept-26 15:44:02

I have always loved Christmas. I was born in a village outside York and all my Dad's family lived there. We didn't get loads like children expect now but appreciated anything we got and they were happy times as we all got together. We went to Chapel and then to my Gran's for dinner.
I've now lost all my closest family and have no partner or children. On Christmas morning my closest friend used to ring before she went to her sisters and I used to ring my last Auntie at home (Dad's sister in law) as she was my last link to home and have continued to go and see her about 3 times a year, even when she went into a home . (I have lived in Cheshire for 40 years.) However, my best friend died suddenly at the end of June (the day after we'd had our usual hourly chat) and my Auntie died at the end of August the week before my birthday so have just been "home" for the funeral. I do have other friends but they have partners, husbands, children etc and wouldn't want to ring and bother them at Christmas. I have booked myself in for a Boxing Day meal a couple of times in recent years and have felt like a spare part and the food wasn't even enjoyable. Is anyone else in this position? Do you make plans? I still put up my decorations but no one sees them. I've been on my own for years now so that part doesn't bother me. It's just the memories of all those happy times come back.

BlueBelle Sat 19-Sept-26 15:47:03

As a lot of us don’t like it for a variety of reasons I think September is way too early to be reminded of it

Maremia Sat 19-Sept-26 15:48:11

If you enjoy putting up and having decorations in your home, then why not. You are worth the effort, and they help to light up a dark corner.
We did that for Dad, when Mum died, for that reason.

CarrotTop Sat 19-Sept-26 15:48:54

Oh, LesLee, I'm so sorry you're facing such loneliness, especially at Christmas. If I lived nearby, I'd invite you to ours for Christmas! It's always just us - I'm in the same boat as you (no family left, no friends nearby - I do have a DH but he's a shadow of his former self due to brain damage from a stroke) so you have my sympathy. flowers

Cossy Sat 19-Sept-26 15:50:20

Oh that’s so sad.

Couple of things I’d say;

If you are able to travel and enjoy it and can afford it, then go away.

Or, if your health allows it, volunteer on Christmas Day, local churches and charities welcome people with open arms, to help out.

Try and hold on to those happy memories, it’s great you have them. Prepare yourself all your favourite foods, doesn’t have to be in any way Christmassy, get your favourite tipple and toast all your absent friends and family.

Good luck thanks

Cossy Sat 19-Sept-26 15:51:27

BlueBelle

As a lot of us don’t like it for a variety of reasons I think September is way too early to be reminded of it

💕💕👍👍

Shinamae Sat 19-Sept-26 15:55:56

Christmas means nothing to me anymore
I tend to work Christmas Day…..

Fallingstar Sat 19-Sept-26 16:03:39

So sorry, and of course I understand what you are saying. Christmas is a tough time for anyone alone who remembers those who made such a time so memorable.
This is why I am not happy with all the hype at Christmas, it makes it so hard for those who are grieving and alone or cannot afford to celebrate this occasion.
You need to keep occupied on the day and preferably the day before and after, if the weather is ok and you are mobile try going for walks, and if you are aware of any older neighbours on their own, perhaps knock on the door and see if they are ok, they might be in need of a chat or not but is worth a go. Read books, eat well, and as has been said raise a glass to absent loved ones.
I also believe there is a thread on here on Christmas Day if I’m not wrong, I have heard it mentioned, for those on their own.

teabagwoman Sat 19-Sept-26 16:30:12

Lesee that’s an awful lot to cope with. I’m not sure what I would do in your position but I think I would make sure I had foods etc in that I would enjoy, put some decorations up, make sure I had things to do and books to read and put aside some time to spend looking at photos and remembering the happy days. Bittersweet but I think it would work for me.

greyfur16 Sat 19-Sept-26 16:40:45

BlueBelle

As a lot of us don’t like it for a variety of reasons I think September is way too early to be reminded of it

I try to "train myself" to live in the present.

Not always possible but worth a shot.

62Granny Sat 19-Sept-26 16:43:53

Do still attend a place of worship ? I know a lot of places / charities often offer a Christmas lunch for people on their own. But even just attending a service on that day might offer you some comfort.

LesLee7 Sat 19-Sept-26 17:33:06

BlueBelle

As a lot of us don’t like it for a variety of reasons I think September is way too early to be reminded of it

Perhaps we ought to tell the shops that when Christmas things are in the shops on or before my birthday on 31st August. Far too commercialised now.

LesLee7 Sat 19-Sept-26 17:34:22

CarrotTop

Oh, LesLee, I'm so sorry you're facing such loneliness, especially at Christmas. If I lived nearby, I'd invite you to ours for Christmas! It's always just us - I'm in the same boat as you (no family left, no friends nearby - I do have a DH but he's a shadow of his former self due to brain damage from a stroke) so you have my sympathy. flowers

That's very kind of you. I just don't like to trouble anyone. Hoe you and your DH enjoy as best you can.

LesLee7 Sat 19-Sept-26 17:36:39

Cossy

Oh that’s so sad.

Couple of things I’d say;

If you are able to travel and enjoy it and can afford it, then go away.

Or, if your health allows it, volunteer on Christmas Day, local churches and charities welcome people with open arms, to help out.

Try and hold on to those happy memories, it’s great you have them. Prepare yourself all your favourite foods, doesn’t have to be in any way Christmassy, get your favourite tipple and toast all your absent friends and family.

Good luck thanks

A few years ago when I lost my Mum and Sister within 6 months I contacted the Sally Army to offer my services on Christmas Day. They didn't want to know.......
Yes I'm lucky to have happy memories, not everyone does.

AGAA4 Sat 19-Sept-26 17:51:52

All the hype makes Christmas loom larger than it actually is. It's one day. Plan an enjoyable time and it will be gone in no time.

Boomer1947 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:03:47

I have been on a few "JUST YOU" holidays for people on their own. They have ones in the UK which include Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
Mostly older people . Don't be put off by pictures of younger people on their website.

Charleygirl5 Sat 19-Sept-26 18:44:59

I try to ignore the hype. I have been on my own at Christmas for a few years now. I treat it as a normal day, buying food I fancy and watching TV if there is anything on which is usually debatable.

I have never bothered with decorations, each to his own. I prefer to stay in my cosy house. I would hate sitting at a long table being surrounded with people I have never met and accepting what I would class as charity food by kind helpers.

Floradora9 Sat 19-Sept-26 21:25:23

You have to pretend it is just another day . Give yourself a treat or two to eat and drink but forget it is Christmas day . I hate Christmas because it is full of so many ghosts of happy times long gone so one year we spent the day going through our filing cabinet and shredding lots of documents.

crazyH Sat 19-Sept-26 22:04:27

When my widowed sis-in-law was estranged from her son, she went away every Xmas and thoroughly enjoyed herself - she met lots of lovely people who were on their own for a variety of reasons.
I think there are specialist travel agents who do trips for single people . Good luck - I’m sure there are lots of people in similar positions. You are not alone…

Wyllow3 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:22:46

I'm often one my own at Christmas. I dont like busy noisy occasions with crowds of family and I make it in to a treat-me day. I'd say they were best when my DS was young and we met with cousins, but not having a lot of room, always tensions even with best intentions.
GN is open on Christmas Day and I have a backlog of Dvd's to watch. if the weather is nice the park for a stroll. WhatsApp face to face calls. On a bad yet just grit my teeth and time passes - the gym is only closed for 2 days and coming back I get a lot of "thank goodness THAT is over 😉"

I like to see it as a time of year event: the time of cold and low light, the year has turned in that respect on the 21st December. and the symbolic birth or rebirth of the changing generations, it all has meaning.

LesLee7 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:39:08

Thanks everyone. My Mum always used to say it's just another day but I never let her be on her own at Christmas. It's worse this year because of the two bereavements I've just had recently but I'll get though it. There are people worse off then me.
Best Wishes to everyone who took the time to respond and hope all goes well for you.

Harris27 Sat 19-Sept-26 22:49:56

Treats and something nice recorded on the telly. Favourite books always help. I’m so sorry you are alone. Glad you wrote the thread though hope it’s helped a bit.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Sept-26 23:20:21

I hope you manage to enjoy it a little despite the sad losses LesLee.
Make sure you have plenty of good food and drink. There'll be films to watch.

Last year I was all ready to be alone as DD had warned me she was booked for the other DGP. DS did ask me at the very last minute but a friend and neighbour asked what I was doing - she's also on her own, has never married and has lots of friends.
I said I didn't know and she asked me to join her for lunch.
She invited 6 of us, all on our own and we had the best fun I can remember.
We all brought contributions. I took a veggie dish. We played party games and it was so relaxed one woman curled up on the floor with her little dog - both fast asleep.

I think I got home around 6.
Not sure what will happen this year as I'm moving house next month.

Macaydia Sun 20-Sept-26 00:11:34

I just think of it as a day for the shops. They are counting their profits and doing their books. Without Christmas, they would have to shutter their business.

I am sorry for the sadness that you feel cornered in. Sometimes melencholy is a place we get too comfortable with.

Its not the holidays making you lonely, its your lack of socialisation. Why have you given up on meeting others? There are thousands of people, just outside your door. Be cheerful and some of them might join you for friendship and celebrations..

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 20-Sept-26 08:34:42

LesLee, I am sorry to hear of your bereavements. This will be a different Christmas, certainly, but I would second the good advice here- treat yourself to your favourite food and drink, book or dvd, and maybe some bath or beauty products.
However, don't write off good friends because they have families. Maybe you could ask them to visit you in the period just before, or just after, Christmas Day, for a festive coffee and cake.
And, please, consider visiting a church during this time. It might help you to revisit your past experiences of Christmas in a comfortable way.

.