Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite small town or village

(67 Posts)
Fallingstar Fri 02-Oct-26 13:27:29

Gaining inspiration from the favourite cathedral thread would like to know which village or small town in the UK members love to visit, maybe not live in though because that could be too much personal information.
I will kick off with Lewes in East Sussex, a lovely little town with plenty of history, a castle, quaint little olde worlde streets, independent interesting little shops, and is set in the beautiful South Downs.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 02-Oct-26 18:24:57

Another vote for Knaresborough. It’s just as fancyflowers described. It’s somewhere I think I could live.

winterwhite Fri 02-Oct-26 18:26:39

Oakham, Rutland and Tenterden, Kent

MollyNew Fri 02-Oct-26 18:26:50

Ogmore by Sea in the Vale of Glamorgan. Beautiful beach. We haven't been for a year or two so it's about time we returned.

JamesandJon33 Fri 02-Oct-26 18:57:54

Conwy North Wales

Greyduster Fri 02-Oct-26 19:12:06

Solva, West Wales. Full of happy memories for me.

Cabbie21 Fri 02-Oct-26 19:52:41

Beverley in East Yorkshire. Two beautiful churches and wonderful shops.

LOUISA1523 Fri 02-Oct-26 20:00:52

Kirkby lonsdale ....an hour from where I live ....we camp there 4 to 5 times every summer.....my happy place ....so beautiful

Fallingstar Fri 02-Oct-26 20:04:08

So many gorgeous places right here in our own country.
I must add Hebden Bridge and Skipton.

GrandmaRosie Fri 02-Oct-26 20:10:29

Yes, Lympstone is lovely, but don’t tell everyone!!

Oreo Fri 02-Oct-26 21:17:26

Chipping Camden in the Cotswolds, also there Bourton on the Water and Burford.
Lacock in Wiltshire, they do a lot of period films there.
Lymington in the New Forest
Stamford in Lincolnshire

Whitewavemark2 Fri 02-Oct-26 22:11:18

Lewes also famous for hosting Thomas Paine at The White Hart - recently renovated - who helped start the American revolt against the British and who wrote amongst other stuff “z
The Rights of Man”

Steyning has and has had a number of celebrities living there. Probably the most famous was Joan Plowright and Lawrence Olivier. The children’s author Julia Donaldson lives there now.

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 22:23:47

Youlgreve in the Derbyshire Dales.

youlgrave.org.uk

In a most - if not the most lovely part of the Derbyshire Dales, small, but vibrant culturally as well as traditional farming country. There are also prehistoric evidences of settlements and standing stones.

I'll never forget their well dressing at the end of Covid.

sinfin.net/welldressing/photo.php?year=2022&id=132

It was internationally culturally inclined (as well as the usual brass band and dancing.

Wyllow3 Fri 02-Oct-26 22:24:33

Correct initial spelling, its Youlgrave not greve.

Mollygo Fri 02-Oct-26 22:36:07

Arnside in Cumbria is a very pretty village by the River Kent.
We just like to visit it for the views and the climb up to Arnside Knott, but I like it even better since I learned about its history on Villages by the Sea presented by Archaeologist Ben Robinson.

Catterygirl Fri 02-Oct-26 23:03:41

Narberth, Wales. Lovely individual shops.

LadyGracie Fri 02-Oct-26 23:07:55

Thirsk, North Yorkshire or Criccieth in Wales.

srn63 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:12:32

Cartmel in Cumbria, gorgeous village, lovely priory, very good eateries (including a 3 starred Michelin restaurant) and a race course! We are there at present.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 23:23:20

Clonakilty and Hebden Bridge for me.

I might have included Porthdinllaen 60 years ago when we had no electricity there... but it was just a hamlet then, and never busy.

And now I want more than a pub and the beach - although it really is very pretty.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:29:27

So many lovely towns and villages I've visited and agree with...Rye, Tavistock, Dartmouth, Padstow, Charmouth, Tenterden, Bourton on the water. I'd also nominate Whitstable, very picturesque, many independent shops (at least when I last visited some years ago) and if Wetherspoons is your thing The Peter Cushing pub has lovely ladies toilets grin.

B9exchange Fri 02-Oct-26 23:32:33

Another vote for Chipping Campden, also Stow on the Wold.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:33:14

Nearly forgot, Walberswick in Suffolk, the oft called 'poor relation' to Southwold.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:33:44

Oh yes Stow on the Wold is lovely.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:35:55

My list of places to visit is growing, some are relatively close to me but I've never been.

hollysteers Sat 03-Oct-26 01:31:01

Knutsford, Cheshire, Cranford by one of my heroines,
Elizabeth Gaskell and she is buried there.

Great Tew near my late aunt and godmother’s cottage where I used to stay, although the area has changed so much, becoming so desirable to Londoners.

nanna8 Sat 03-Oct-26 01:33:28

Lovely thread. There are some lovely little villages in Warwickshire as I remember but can't now name them. Thatched roofs etc.