Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite small town or village

(67 Posts)
Fallingstar Fri 02-Oct-26 13:27:29

Gaining inspiration from the favourite cathedral thread would like to know which village or small town in the UK members love to visit, maybe not live in though because that could be too much personal information.
I will kick off with Lewes in East Sussex, a lovely little town with plenty of history, a castle, quaint little olde worlde streets, independent interesting little shops, and is set in the beautiful South Downs.

Retread Sat 03-Oct-26 16:07:18

We once landed up in Knaresborough overnight and loved it, there was an open air Shakespeare play being performed, the setting was perfect.

I also like Cromarty.

Clawdy Sat 03-Oct-26 15:55:22

Lovely Cockermouth in the Lakes. My favourite ever place.

Largolass Sat 03-Oct-26 13:53:31

Crail in the East Neuk of Fife.

dragonfly46 Sat 03-Oct-26 12:12:44

There are lots of lovely villages in the Yorkshire Dales and the Peak District.
Yesterday we were in Bakewell which is a lovely town.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 12:12:16

HelterSkelter1

What a lovely and useful thread. Thank you OP. I will keep a list of all thr suggestions.

I really wasn’t sure if many would respond but like you have kept a note of some places we have never been to, our flying days are over so if any of theee gens can be reached easily by train will look into a few days away.

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 11:54:39

Not a village but Kinver Edge and the Rock Houses in Staffordshire are worth a visit too.

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 11:50:57

Gloucestershire has some of the most beautiful villages but of course, tourists love them too.

There are some hidden gems in Staffordshire, Ilam being one which is in the Manifold Valley and near to lovely Dovedale.

Shropshire has some lovely small towns and villages, notably Ludlow and Church Stretton.

fancyflowers Sat 03-Oct-26 11:13:42

SueDonim no, I had never heard of The House in the Rock before you mentioned it just now.
I quickly read about it on Wikipedia and apparently it's now a private residence. What an interesting story.

NotSpaghetti Sat 03-Oct-26 08:43:11

Hexham is rather nice.
Worth a mention.

Basgetti Sat 03-Oct-26 07:57:16

Crieff and Comrie

HelterSkelter1 Sat 03-Oct-26 05:56:32

What a lovely and useful thread. Thank you OP. I will keep a list of all thr suggestions.

Kate54 Sat 03-Oct-26 05:18:54

The East of England not getting a look in here! Wells-next-the-Sea to represent Norfolk and Stamford for Lincolnshire!

Sarnia Sat 03-Oct-26 03:51:42

fancyflowers

16:41Sarnia

fancyflowers

Knaresborough in North Yorkshire is such a pretty town. Independent shops, a fantastic viaduct over the river and a great weekly market.

Oh good. My eldest GD gets married there next May.

How lovely! I hope she has a wonderful wedding!

Thank you so much. X

nexus63 Sat 03-Oct-26 02:54:58

i live in glasgow but spent a few summers in hawick and i loved it.

SueDonim Sat 03-Oct-26 02:21:46

fancyflowers

Knaresborough in North Yorkshire is such a pretty town. Independent shops, a fantastic viaduct over the river and a great weekly market.

Did you ever visit the House in the Rock? It was something again! An eccentric old lady lived there in the 90’s and opened the house to the public. It was full of cats and stunk of cats’ wee. Her ancient mother was asleep in a rocking chair by the fire! I don’t recall anything else about Knareborough after that experience. grin en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_in_the_Rock

There are so many lovely towns and villages in the UK, it’s hard to choose. One I’ve visited numerous times over the years is Skipton, also in Yorkshire. It’s walkable, has a castle at one end of the High Street, a canal with canal boats, interesting shops and the wonderful Busy Lizzie’s fish & chip shop. Oh, and a cafe that serves Yorkshire puddings with a chocolate brownie and toffee sauce.

Grammaretto Sat 03-Oct-26 01:40:58

I send Christmas cards to someone in Lewes. Perhaps I should invite myself to stay! I don't know if I have ever been there.

I like Cromarty in the Black Isle, although it must be very quiet off season.

nanna8 Sat 03-Oct-26 01:33:28

Lovely thread. There are some lovely little villages in Warwickshire as I remember but can't now name them. Thatched roofs etc.

hollysteers Sat 03-Oct-26 01:31:01

Knutsford, Cheshire, Cranford by one of my heroines,
Elizabeth Gaskell and she is buried there.

Great Tew near my late aunt and godmother’s cottage where I used to stay, although the area has changed so much, becoming so desirable to Londoners.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:35:55

My list of places to visit is growing, some are relatively close to me but I've never been.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:33:44

Oh yes Stow on the Wold is lovely.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:33:14

Nearly forgot, Walberswick in Suffolk, the oft called 'poor relation' to Southwold.

B9exchange Fri 02-Oct-26 23:32:33

Another vote for Chipping Campden, also Stow on the Wold.

Rosie51 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:29:27

So many lovely towns and villages I've visited and agree with...Rye, Tavistock, Dartmouth, Padstow, Charmouth, Tenterden, Bourton on the water. I'd also nominate Whitstable, very picturesque, many independent shops (at least when I last visited some years ago) and if Wetherspoons is your thing The Peter Cushing pub has lovely ladies toilets grin.

NotSpaghetti Fri 02-Oct-26 23:23:20

Clonakilty and Hebden Bridge for me.

I might have included Porthdinllaen 60 years ago when we had no electricity there... but it was just a hamlet then, and never busy.

And now I want more than a pub and the beach - although it really is very pretty.

srn63 Fri 02-Oct-26 23:12:32

Cartmel in Cumbria, gorgeous village, lovely priory, very good eateries (including a 3 starred Michelin restaurant) and a race course! We are there at present.