Gransnet forums

Chat

Pavement or ‘Footway’?

(37 Posts)
Calendargirl Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:27

Walking through town this morning, the inevitable roadworks and cones scattered about.

Plus a sign saying ‘Footway Closed’.

Footway?

Did they mean ‘pavement’?

Yes, I think they did.

When did our pavements turn into footways?

Oldnproud Fri 02-Oct-26 19:49:32

RSALLAN2002

Footway is a generic term for any thoroughfare that can be used by pedestrians. So using that term saves having multiple signs, which makes sense.

I agree.

Mollygo Fri 02-Oct-26 20:04:10

Calendargirl

Walking through town this morning, the inevitable roadworks and cones scattered about.

Plus a sign saying ‘Footway Closed’.

Footway?

Did they mean ‘pavement’?

Yes, I think they did.

When did our pavements turn into footways?

I seen a variety of words on signs.
Maybe it was a hint to cyclists that they shouldn’t use it. I don’t mind what they call it as long as it’s a) well signed and b) not there for too long.

MawsRosie Fri 02-Oct-26 20:05:47

Mamie

I think railway, motorway, bridleway and footway has a certain logic.

I thought the pedestrian equivalent was walkway ?

MawsRosie Fri 02-Oct-26 20:11:32

Anyhoo, I’ve looked it up ( why didn’t I do that right away?)
And
A footway is a precise legal and engineering term for a pavement or sidewalk running alongside a road, whereas a footpath is a separate trail away from vehicular traffic. They are not actually new names for the same thing; rather, official bodies use "footway" to accurately distinguish roadside walking paths from rural or park-based footpaths

Oreo Fri 02-Oct-26 21:28:48

Oldnproud

RSALLAN2002

Footway is a generic term for any thoroughfare that can be used by pedestrians. So using that term saves having multiple signs, which makes sense.

I agree.

Yes

Suzieque66 Fri 02-Oct-26 21:40:26

I think Pavement refers to a path which is Paved ... Footway refers to any path ...

MawsRosie Fri 02-Oct-26 21:48:31

MawsRosie

Anyhoo, I’ve looked it up ( why didn’t I do that right away?)
And
^A footway is a precise legal and engineering term for a pavement or sidewalk running alongside a road, whereas a footpath is a separate trail away from vehicular traffic. They are not actually new names for the same thing; rather, official bodies use "footway" to accurately distinguish roadside walking paths from rural or park-based footpaths^

This is the official definition - why speculate further?

FranP Fri 02-Oct-26 23:25:06

RSALLAN2002

Footway is a generic term for any thoroughfare that can be used by pedestrians. So using that term saves having multiple signs, which makes sense.

It also saves money because it fits on smaller signs.

Our council use it on footpath closure or repair signs

madeleine45 Sat 03-Oct-26 08:01:20

I dont care what they call it , I am on a mission and rampage right now, about footpaths footways or whatever they choose to call them having wretched pot holes and holes dug up by such as Zoom, where they either dont fill them up and flatten then properly causing me pain on my mobility scooter, or much worse lately putting temporary fences up round bits of the pavement, expecting wheelchair users, prams and all pedestrians to step out onto the road with no protection at all. When problems arise , such as a burst water pipe, I totally understand the need, but I am constantly finding these things left blocking pathways with no sign of anyone working there or doing anything about clearing them away. The traffic wardens so keen to slap notices on cars, dont make any effort to deal with them, the police do not check up how long these obstructions have been there and we have to cope with the hassle. so I am waging war on these things, and becoming the annoyer of councils and companies, and whatever they choose to call the flipping things, I want them to be easy to use and let us move about the towns like everyone else!!

welbeck Sat 03-Oct-26 15:22:20

These are legal and technical terms.
A footpath may go through fields or up mountains.
A footway is that part of the highway which is dedicated to use by pedestrians.
The carriageway is that part of the highway which is fir the use of vehicles.
Highway is defined as a route along which people, animals under control and vehicles may pass freely.
Motorway is an invented term for a route which did not permit all classes of highway users eg pedestrians animals and smaller vehicles eg mopeds and bicycles.
Pavement has no legal definition and simple refers to finished surface or dressing.
Most roads have a surface which is technically a pavement ie metalled.
But this is rather arcane outside civil engineering and the word pavement is commonly used to mean footway.

BlueBelle Sat 03-Oct-26 15:29:07

Footway has such a clumsy sound to it Perhaps it sounds too much like footwear. I see a footpath as an unpaved pavement