Gracey
On a recent train journey, through the window I glimpsed Ely Cathedral for about a minute. I was enchanted. Against a blue sky it looked huge and magnificent. I gazed in awe. So beautiful. I must go to Ely, see it close up and go inside. That's a little trip planned.
Years ago when I worked in the city centre I used to eat my lunch in the ruins of Coventry Cathedral. So peaceful and although a shell, still feels like a special, holy place. Lots of time for reflection there. And linked to it is the huge new Cathedral. Very different but quite wonderful and interesting. There's so much to see and to inspire although it's modern architecture. The windows are beautiful and the vast modern glass screen entrance, hand engraved, is a masterpiece. Another I must go back to visit.
I was a mature student at Coventry Uni in the 1990s, so I walked past those ruins several times a week.. I know what you mean about it still feeling like a special place.
My graduation was in the new cathedral. For me personally, that building lacked 'feeling', but that probably comes with age.