I’m not disagreeing with that, Dickens. I have said over and over that low wages and high rents underpin so much of the division and discontent in the country.
I’m not suggesting cutting benefits, but saying that a social contract needs everyone to be part of it. People need to know that they are expected to contribute, and that in return they will be decently housed and able to live a dignified life, rather than being units of labour for those who want to pay as little as possible, and cash cows for those who own several properties in a housing shortage.
I did not suggest cutting public services either. I am all for a ‘big state’ where that is concerned, but one based on the expectation that those capable of building it are expected to do so, with protection in place for those who, permanently or temporarily, are not able.
Human nature means that people hate being taken advantage of, and there is, IMO, no difference in the morality of refusing to work full time if it means cuts in UC and doing so to qualify for free childcare when your income rises to over £100k. Both are understandable responses to a system that means-tests rather than encourages contribution.
It’s things like that which have to change, IMO, along with disincentives to save for a better life in case it is all means-tested away, or finding that those who didn’t are given more.
You and Yours to be cut from BBC radio 4 schedule


