Gransnet forums

Chat

Just been listening to Andy Burnham on care ......

(271 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Sun 27-Sept-26 12:43:10

.... and he is so right.

He is basically saying that it is an issue that politicians have ducked for decades - the can is always kicked down the road every time it comes up.

He is saying he is not going to duck the issue, in the full knowledge that this will alienate him with some voters and entrenched interests. He rightly points out that the NHS, of which we are so proud in spite of its imperfections, did not happen without the courage to be radical, and the same goes for the care system.

I am behind him on this. I have experienced the care system both as professional and consumer and it is totally broken and the distress this causes to people is incalculable - he recognises that the government has a moral duty to deal with this and that it will not be easy.

Funding will be the crux of the matter and I am quite sure he knows this - it is what has caused the cowardly politicians to throw in the towel and walk away from it.

There are models of social care in other countries that we can aspire to and learn from.

Perpetuating a system where family carers are unsupported, professional carers are undervalued and underpaid, and tortuous processes have to be navigated to get what is needed simply cannot go on. Nor can big care providers lining their pockets at the expense of ordinary people struggling to do right by their loved ones.

Go for it Andy - I admire your courage.

AGAA4 Sun 27-Sept-26 12:54:06

I will watch this later on player. I'm glad someone has taken this on as we can't go on as we are.

Primrose53 Sun 27-Sept-26 12:58:07

Fingers crossed on that. It’s very easy to say things but much harder to actually do something.

twinnytwin Sun 27-Sept-26 13:08:26

I've just watched this on Laura K on iPlayer and it was good to hear him actually saying he'd like to tackle social care. AB said he'd have this issue on the Labour Manifesto at the next election. He also said he'd fund this via the tax system. More information about it during his speech on Tuesday.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 13:12:06

👍🙏🤞

Luckygirl3 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:17:04

Primrose53

Fingers crossed on that. It’s very easy to say things but much harder to actually do something.

He knows that. But he is not ducking the issue.

Fartooold Sun 27-Sept-26 13:40:49

At last someone who cares!👏

MG55 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:42:03

👍👏👏

Whitewavemark2 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:47:20

I see that the Tories support the idea of social care, but not tax rises.

You get nothing for nothing.

MT62 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:48:40

I’ll wait with bated breath.
BTW, What happened to the cap on social care? was that removed by this government?

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 13:52:02

MT62

I’ll wait with bated breath.
BTW, What happened to the cap on social care? was that removed by this government?

Is that the cap that allowed you to keep £16,000 or another, which I cannot completely remember the details of, but was infinitely more generous?

Luckygirl3 Sun 27-Sept-26 13:54:49

Worth listening to him on the podcast How to Fail. He is very clear about the moral imperative to tackle social care.

Emeraldforest Sun 27-Sept-26 14:30:46

I'm sure he will be criticised for lots of other things but he is really showing that he cares deeply about this, there is something sincere about him that I like very much.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sept-26 14:31:08

MT62

I’ll wait with bated breath.
BTW, What happened to the cap on social care? was that removed by this government?

Cap of £86,000 cancelled by Rachel Reeves in 2004. It was originally mooted in 2011, the Tories kept putting it off, cancelled it, bought it back in again, then did nothing with it.

Graphite Sun 27-Sept-26 14:41:29

The cap was never going to work without substantial funding from central government.

It was only going to cover the care element not accommodation, food and other services.

For most people in residential care if would have kicked in around year three. The average length of stay is typically around 18 months to 2 years, with residential homes without nursing averaging about 24 months.

For those longer term residents where it would have kicked in, the cost would then have fallen to local councils as it does for those with funded care. Councils simply wouldn’t have had the funds to pay it.

That’s why it was postponed and eventually binned.

Jaxjacky Sun 27-Sept-26 15:03:44

Yes Graphite the sum was bandied about with no thought.

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 15:15:56

Graphite

The cap was never going to work without substantial funding from central government.

It was only going to cover the care element not accommodation, food and other services.

For most people in residential care if would have kicked in around year three. The average length of stay is typically around 18 months to 2 years, with residential homes without nursing averaging about 24 months.

For those longer term residents where it would have kicked in, the cost would then have fallen to local councils as it does for those with funded care. Councils simply wouldn’t have had the funds to pay it.

That’s why it was postponed and eventually binned.

What they could do, as has happened in Wales, is to raise the amount of savings you can retain if you go into care. It is £50k here.

MayBee70 Sun 27-Sept-26 15:49:54

Haven’t the LibDems always talked about social care and the need to increase tax to pay for it?

Casdon Sun 27-Sept-26 15:51:52

I can remember that Andy Burnham was talking about it when he was health minister 15+ years ago, so it’s obviously something he’s been brooding on ever since.

Sarnia Sun 27-Sept-26 15:59:32

It is a huge issue which all Governments have avoided doing anything about.
It is a service which many of us will need at some stage, for our families and ourselves.
It will all boil down to money.
At present we are borrowing like never before. We have borrowed £77.3b since April. £8b over their estimate. This isn't sustainable.
I hope John Healey reins in the money spent on welfare and doesn't raise taxes. Whatever he does, social care must not be shelved again.

Luckygirl3 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:00:09

I deliberately put this conversation in Chat rather than Politics because I truly think it transcends party political discussion - it is about human decency.

MT62 Sun 27-Sept-26 16:08:40

Yes JJ that’s what I was referring to.
Tried to answer Cossy but blinking advertising gets in the way preventing me posting, do others get this?
So basically can they take the whole of your capital now for SC?

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 27-Sept-26 17:02:09

Yes, Luckygirl, this is too important a matter to fall prey to party politics.
We have choppy waters ahead, with a larger percentage of us in the older age bracket, and more people surviving with complex needs.
A discussion awaits.

Doodledog Sun 27-Sept-26 17:02:25

I thought the 'cap' was not on how much you could keep, but how much you might have to spend, which means that someone with say, a house and savings worth £500k who had to spend £100k on care would be charged 20% of their wealth, whereas someone whose estate was worth £100k would be wiped out.

That is not the same thing as allowing people to maintain a set amount of savings.

Whingey Sun 27-Sept-26 17:17:25

My aunt saved a lot of money.In 1970 she grumbled over being taxed £100 on her savings.whooshed her into a home and she lost it all