Gransnet forums

Chat

Out To Lunch

(69 Posts)
Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:29:13

If I’m not working on a Sunday we often try to go out to lunch,
Nothing fancy or expensive but it’s one of life’s small enjoyments and we take Mum with us. A treat for her too, tho she’s always been a really good cook it’s nice for her to not have to.
Do others try to do the same, or if retired prefer to go out to lunch midweek when it’s quieter?

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 21:11:10

Thanks for comments.
We all had a delicious roast lunch and blackberry crumble with custard😋
Came home for a coffee and read newspapers…this is the life😄

sodapop Sun 27-Sept-26 21:12:05

We often have lunch out with friends as we don't much like going out at night now. It's a very social occasion here in France and never rushed, we don't do much for the rest of the day. Retirement has its advantages.

MT62 Sun 27-Sept-26 22:10:18

Jaxjacky

Whilst we’re talking about roasts, what’s with the giant Yorkshire on every plate?
Is it taking up space from the more expensive meats on the plates?
Yorkshires used to be with beef only, I don’t like them much so request none on my plate.

Do you find you get more meat on your plate?

mabon2 Mon 28-Sept-26 13:44:23

None of my sons have ever taken me out for Sunday lunch, or any other lunch come to that.

Tenko Mon 28-Sept-26 14:11:02

We often go for a long dog walk on Sundays either the South Downs or the beach and stop off for Sunday lunch . I love eating out as I don’t to cook or clear up . We used to take my mum out sometimes, but now she’s in a wheelchair , it’s harder , plus she finds a lot of places very loud and echoing and struggles to hear the conversation.

cc Mon 28-Sept-26 14:11:58

We go out for lunch most Fridays, it's quieter and usually a more varied menu - although I do love a Sunday roast!

4allweknow Mon 28-Sept-26 14:31:38

Very rarely had Sunday lunch at home as a child, just not a tradition. Then when married husband worked shifts and only had 1 weekend in 4 off so limited Sunday lunch. Then as part of his job he was away from home a lot. Ocasionally when the children arrived Sunday lunch was on the menu but as a whole has never been regarded as a must have on a Sunday. One of the children basically due to his wife's tradition and where they live they more often than not have a Sundsy lunch.

Bea65 Mon 28-Sept-26 14:51:59

I love going out for brunch/lunch any time other than weekends…I’m not a big fan of cooking or baking..that gene missed me but mother and sister loved being in the kitchen..

knspol Mon 28-Sept-26 15:01:16

Gin

We went to a local large garden centre this week to buy bulbs. We arrived at about 12 pm but could not find an empty parking space and had to park at the furthest spot. Wondering what special event was happening we made our way in to see the restaurant full of white haired diners. Apparently it is like this on all weekdays. Meals look reasonable, not exciting but save people cooking. I think I would be happy too if I could persuade my OH who hates eating out as he is so fussy.

I think care homes ( at least those in this area) take groups of residents to these places for lunch as it's cheaper than them providing a meal and is also an outing for them.

AuntieE Mon 28-Sept-26 15:16:34

I rarely eat out. When I do, I usually experience that I could have made whatever dish I order better myself, and certainly much more cheaply.

So for me, eating out is about the company I am in, not the food.

But I honestly prefer to invite good friends to my place and cook for them, than to join them in a restaurant.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sept-26 15:30:50

No MT62, veg yes, which suits me.

M0nica Mon 28-Sept-26 18:34:31

AuntieE

I rarely eat out. When I do, I usually experience that I could have made whatever dish I order better myself, and certainly much more cheaply.

So for me, eating out is about the company I am in, not the food.

But I honestly prefer to invite good friends to my place and cook for them, than to join them in a restaurant.

When you price your own meals do you include the cost of heating and maintaining your house, council tax, plus staff costs?

Wyllow3 Mon 28-Sept-26 18:59:00

I like a late weekday lunch, its lovely and quiet, I dont eat a lot but its a relaxed time, get best seats, etc.

Country pubs with a nice river walk or similar but there is one on the edge of our city with views absolutely south facing and sunny.

Hmm. nice weekday treats.

I don't like meat, roasts, neither do DS/family and my tum says more small meals not big ones.

I like fish, so look out for it. 🙂

Rocketstop2 Mon 28-Sept-26 19:06:02

Shel1951

I take mt granddaughter out in the morning after shopping to the Beach hut, we have drink,coffee and drinking chocolate and cake then I drop her home ,but we have Sunday dinner at home,

Ooh, is the 'beach hut' at a real beach ? It sounds nice !

Oreo Mon 28-Sept-26 21:42:45

I think the Beach Hut is a cafe/ restaurant in fact it rings a faint mental bell with me, is it at a coastal resort on the South Coast?

Oreo Mon 28-Sept-26 21:44:58

It makes sense if retired to go out to lunch midweek when quiet.
Sunday means we can eat lunch out en famille tho and I do love a roast beef or turkey meal.

CocoPops Mon 28-Sept-26 23:25:14

I love eating out. Brunch or dinner especially. I went downtown yesterday. As I walked away from the first store towards the next one, I spotted a place that serves nourishing salads. In I popped and opted for a mixed green salad, a quinoa salad with black beans etc and grilled tofu. I gobbled it up outside in the sunshine and vowed to eat out more often.

StoneofDestiny Mon 28-Sept-26 23:50:03

Breakfast out is a winner for me.

madeleine45 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:06:42

As I have always been an organiser, I have previously had some success with local pubs in one place I lived in. None of them used to do meals on a monday after a busy weekend. As money got tighter for people I talked to them all and suggested that they might like to think if one of them would do food on a monday, as there was absolutely no competition in the locality for hot food. One enterprising couple recognised what I was telling them, and after a tentative start with only 3 options for mains they soon became very busy and then offered quite a menu. I moved from there , but to my knowledge they still do it. As to sundays, I used to make a sunday roast often when we were all at home, but now as a widow on my own, it isnt worth making a roast just for myself. Plus the fact that I enjoy listening to desert island discs and private passions, and often make some inroads into the ironing pile, and have a quiet day doing some catching up. But I do enjoy occasionally going out to a local pub, where they do a very good sunday lunch, but are small enough to mean it is like having lunch at a friends house. Their food is good and the gravy - which to my mind in larger places does not come up to scratch - is very good and I hope that the lady who does the meals doesnt expand so much that she loses that personal touch, which so many regulars enjoy. Half of them always have the same meal so she knows precisely what they want. More power to her elbow!

MartavTaurus Tue 29-Sept-26 08:52:50

Lunch out for us today at a mill. The menu tries to be a bit rustic. I like that for a change, though eating outside is getting a bit chilly.
We very rarely eat out on Sundays, unless away.

Sarnia Tue 29-Sept-26 09:03:08

Lunches out are a regular for me and various friends. Like many others we have found prices rising so that has encouraged us to look for other venues.
We have found a couple of hidden gems both providing delicious and varied light lunch that ladies of our age prefer.

henetha Tue 29-Sept-26 11:08:32

I used to have lunch out regularly but it's far less now,, mainly due to friends dying or going into residential care. And it's very expensive now.
For my recent birthday I had a Chinese takeaway instead.
This was quite nice but not as nice as eating out used to be.
I'm going to start cooking Sunday roasts again now as the weather is cooler.

Oreo Tue 29-Sept-26 14:58:18

That’s sad henetha and it happens to Mum’s friends on a regular basis ☹️
Mind you Chinese grub is yummy we try to have some once a month.
There’s nothing like a good roast is there, with a Yorkshire pudding.

TG3465 Wed 30-Sept-26 10:23:45

Definitely choose weekdays rather than Sundays (or Saturdays). There are more likely to be offers on during the week, and it's quieter. Also prefer to eat out at lunchtime rather than evening so that everything has 'gone down' by bedtime.

Witzend Wed 30-Sept-26 10:50:54

I love a good roast, but not at lunchtime - all I want to do afterwards is fall asleep on the sofa - but at say around 6. Even when I was a child this was normal for us - my DM used to say it broke up the day too much.

I do prefer a home cooked roast BTW, I don’t think I’ve ever had an ‘out’ one that matches up - but someone else needs to do the washing- and clearing up!
In our house that’s invariably dh, who doesn’t cook, but is a brilliant clearer-upper!