Gransnet forums

Chat

Out To Lunch

(69 Posts)
Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:29:13

If I’m not working on a Sunday we often try to go out to lunch,
Nothing fancy or expensive but it’s one of life’s small enjoyments and we take Mum with us. A treat for her too, tho she’s always been a really good cook it’s nice for her to not have to.
Do others try to do the same, or if retired prefer to go out to lunch midweek when it’s quieter?

Primrose53 Mon 05-Oct-26 15:11:01

It’s my birthday later this week and my friend is taking me out for a posh Afternoon Tea. I am already looking forward to it. I had a choice of lunch or AT but another friend is taking me out for lunch on a different day.

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Oct-26 15:10:46

Ha ha whitewavemark - I did wonder how you fitted it all in!! grin

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Oct-26 15:09:04

That was on Saturday not the same day😀😀😀

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Oct-26 15:08:25

I had a totally indulgent weekend regarding to eating out. On Sunday it was an invite by GS and partner for lunch at theirs where we were able to meet their new little stray cat. Totally chilled and gentle little thing.

Then a tasting lunch with sister and nephew at Leonardslee Garden restaurant- . 15 courses😀😀.

David49 Mon 05-Oct-26 14:47:11

The last time we had Sunday lunch at a pub it was carvery we had a normal meal, others heaped up the plate and gorged themselves.
Except one little lady - 80+ who discretely put 2/3 of it into her lunch box for later in the week.

Oreo Mon 05-Oct-26 12:28:33

I like eating out at any time of day 🤭

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Oct-26 12:20:16

I really like "eating out" - but not at lunchtime really.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Oct-26 06:46:33

David49

Sunday lunch at a pub is a special occasion now and they are not cheap.
Most Sunday we have a roast at home, mostly I cook it, a smallish joint, 4 veg, takes about an hour and a half, dishwasher does the washing up. Enough leftovers for 2 or 3 days finishing with a curry or stir fry

Sounds similar to us, except DH does the Sunday roast, (I cook the rest of the week), and we don’t have a dishwasher.

TBH, I prefer to eat at home, rather than going out.

JamesandJon33 Mon 05-Oct-26 05:46:18

We went for Sunday lunch yesterday ,to a nearby pub. Four of us and it was very busy. They only do roasts on a Sunday, so a choice of beef, pork or chicken. Lamb is too expensive, even in Wales. Beautifully presented with a big Yorkshire pudding on all. 5 different vegetables plus roast potatoes. A pudding each afterwards and we all had a drink, admittedly not alcoholic. £94 . I thought that a very good price. The service was great also.

David49 Mon 05-Oct-26 05:03:21

Sunday lunch at a pub is a special occasion now and they are not cheap.
Most Sunday we have a roast at home, mostly I cook it, a smallish joint, 4 veg, takes about an hour and a half, dishwasher does the washing up. Enough leftovers for 2 or 3 days finishing with a curry or stir fry

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Oct-26 00:09:43

Have a lovely time Primrose53
You deserve a break.

Juneandarchie1 Sun 04-Oct-26 15:17:45

We’re both retired so tend to avoid going out at all at weekends.
Lunch in the week in more enjoyable, and cheaper for us.

Primrose53 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:13:43

Had a lovely surprise message from a friend tonight asking me out to lunch. I used to go out to lunch very often with friends but due to a now disabled husband I seldom do now. Really looking forward to it!

Norah Wed 30-Sept-26 22:11:22

We prefer to eat at home, ofter having family at our table.

Tasty and reasonable.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Sept-26 22:04:18

Tapas in Convent Garden today. Serenaded by a quartet. Quite pleasant.

Oreo Wed 30-Sept-26 21:26:16

I agree Karen22 I think they’ve been using frozen roasties for a long while now and they’re often hard.
And I always want more gravy 🤭

Karen22 Wed 30-Sept-26 19:12:49

I love a Sunday roast dinner out and have visited a few different places but lately ive found that the roasties aren't very good and im sure they are now using frozen ones, how awful ! 😬😮‍💨

Oreo Wed 30-Sept-26 13:47:00

Send him over to me please Witzend there’ll be a mince pie in it for him.😄

Witzend Wed 30-Sept-26 10:50:54

I love a good roast, but not at lunchtime - all I want to do afterwards is fall asleep on the sofa - but at say around 6. Even when I was a child this was normal for us - my DM used to say it broke up the day too much.

I do prefer a home cooked roast BTW, I don’t think I’ve ever had an ‘out’ one that matches up - but someone else needs to do the washing- and clearing up!
In our house that’s invariably dh, who doesn’t cook, but is a brilliant clearer-upper!

TG3465 Wed 30-Sept-26 10:23:45

Definitely choose weekdays rather than Sundays (or Saturdays). There are more likely to be offers on during the week, and it's quieter. Also prefer to eat out at lunchtime rather than evening so that everything has 'gone down' by bedtime.

Oreo Tue 29-Sept-26 14:58:18

That’s sad henetha and it happens to Mum’s friends on a regular basis ☹️
Mind you Chinese grub is yummy we try to have some once a month.
There’s nothing like a good roast is there, with a Yorkshire pudding.

henetha Tue 29-Sept-26 11:08:32

I used to have lunch out regularly but it's far less now,, mainly due to friends dying or going into residential care. And it's very expensive now.
For my recent birthday I had a Chinese takeaway instead.
This was quite nice but not as nice as eating out used to be.
I'm going to start cooking Sunday roasts again now as the weather is cooler.

Sarnia Tue 29-Sept-26 09:03:08

Lunches out are a regular for me and various friends. Like many others we have found prices rising so that has encouraged us to look for other venues.
We have found a couple of hidden gems both providing delicious and varied light lunch that ladies of our age prefer.

MartavTaurus Tue 29-Sept-26 08:52:50

Lunch out for us today at a mill. The menu tries to be a bit rustic. I like that for a change, though eating outside is getting a bit chilly.
We very rarely eat out on Sundays, unless away.

madeleine45 Tue 29-Sept-26 08:06:42

As I have always been an organiser, I have previously had some success with local pubs in one place I lived in. None of them used to do meals on a monday after a busy weekend. As money got tighter for people I talked to them all and suggested that they might like to think if one of them would do food on a monday, as there was absolutely no competition in the locality for hot food. One enterprising couple recognised what I was telling them, and after a tentative start with only 3 options for mains they soon became very busy and then offered quite a menu. I moved from there , but to my knowledge they still do it. As to sundays, I used to make a sunday roast often when we were all at home, but now as a widow on my own, it isnt worth making a roast just for myself. Plus the fact that I enjoy listening to desert island discs and private passions, and often make some inroads into the ironing pile, and have a quiet day doing some catching up. But I do enjoy occasionally going out to a local pub, where they do a very good sunday lunch, but are small enough to mean it is like having lunch at a friends house. Their food is good and the gravy - which to my mind in larger places does not come up to scratch - is very good and I hope that the lady who does the meals doesnt expand so much that she loses that personal touch, which so many regulars enjoy. Half of them always have the same meal so she knows precisely what they want. More power to her elbow!