Good morning Michael and all GN's on a very dark still morning in North Yorkshire. Nothing visible outside but no sound of wind or rain so perhaps it will be a good day.
A very mixed day yesterday but with some success in some quarters. I was very uptight in the morning , as at the moment I really need the car to be able to get about and feel I have still got some ability to choose what I can do and when. So I was actually ready and stood at the door of the options, with the yellow peril parked up outside before they had even opened the door. Definitely their first customer of the day, complete with all glasses and prescription at the ready. Full of aches and pains, and not had chance to loosen up, I limped into the entrance as they opened up, but had to request a better chair than the hard wooden ones without arms in the waiting area, as I knew without arms I would never get up from the seat. ! They found me a chair I could use and I was shortly beginning the tests. The opticians is not a good place to be with a bad back, as those wretched machines need you to position yourself in awkward angles and leaning into hard angles rather like modern day torture machines, so that by the time I had finished all the required tests my back was even worse than I had begun in the morning. Anyway armed with the results the optician took me into her room and proceeded to do all the various checking that she needed to do.
She was very good and thorough, and the only thing was I had to check a couple of the things more than once. When they put in the lens and ask which is better A or B you have two types of answer. One is the easy one where you can clearly say A or B is definitely better, but then those where it seems to have very little difference are the hardest ones. Some you can say definitely both the same but those with a slight change are the most difficult to answer. However we proceeded and got through them all, and I was again glad to finally be able to sit back and give my back a rest.
The end result was a mixed bag. Firstly she said she was pleased to say there was very little difference from my last tests and that there was no need to buy new glasses. Hurrah for that, a little cheering and no dint to my bank balance. But the less good news was that she could show me on the screen where there was a sort of raised bit in one eye. This wasnt affecting the sight, but she said it was connected to the diabetes, and that she would be sending the details to the doctors for them to contact me for further investigations. I was somewhat downcast by that news and asked if there was anything I had done, or could do, to help this and she replied that no this was to do with the diabetes and that is why it needs referring to the experts and that there was nothing I could do on my own to deal with this.
I left with mixed feelings , thanking the staff for their prompt and efficient help and somewhat rather depressed, got on the yellow peril, and made my way towards Cafe Nero for a much needed coffee. However I decided to check on the hairdressers , while I was nearby and again was in luck, as she was just finishing one lady and as my hair was newly washed, it only needed dampening down to be able to cut and tidy it up. So another good job done, and we both were pleased about this. I have got another job out of the way, and she had filled in a gap in her schedule. So I was pleased to get into Cafe Nero, bag myself a decent seat and before ordering my coffee , went down to the ladies to change my top. I think I am a modern day "princess and the pea" version, as no matter how well the hairdresser tucks the cape round etc., there is always some hair gets down my neck and I cannot bear to continue to wear it, definitely understand the meaning of a hair shirt! So then after all the exertions of the morning I ordered my coffee and an apricot croissant as a cheering start, only to find no croissant on offer! Oh well the coffee was good!
I sat there for about 20 minutes, letting the coffee improve matters and mulling over the morning and trying to decide what I would do next. The weather was looking better by the minute and quite warm, and I suddenly had an idea and rang Harlow Carr to find out if they had a buggy available, as cant manage without one these days. Yes there was one free so it was a swift trip back home to make up a sandwich and coffee, and to put a variety of clothes ranging from thin top to mac and coat into the car and off I went. A rather rubbish journey with several road works , traffic lights and slow vehicles, but got there in the end and got myself ensconsed on a black version of the yellow peril, with all my bits and pieces with me. It was lovely and in the beginning didnt even need a jumper on, it was so mild. There was much to see, it has been a while since I visited and the gardens looked lovely. That sense of crossover from summer to autumn with still lovely roses out but also the dahlias and sunflowers coming into their own. The salvias of many kinds were all marvellous and the perovskia - russian sage a lovely shade of blue - toned in with the asters just coming out. There were squirrels skittering about - grey alas - and it was calming and peaceful and being on the buggy , whilst a bit bone shaking in some areas, allowed me to go all around and explore .I seem to have forgotten recently how much a garden can help even if I cant get down to doing much digging myself. It allowed the mornings information to settle in and to reach the point, where I accept there is nothing I can do myself and to try not to worry too much about it. Cant win though - I want a quick appointment so that I dont have too long to get worried and have even less sleep, yet at the same time , I know that a quick reply means it is more serious!!
I carried on , wandering here and there, pleased to see children enjoying themselves and being encouraged to make the most of a garden, a joy I hope with be there for them all their lives. Finding a good little sheltered spot, I sat and ate my sandwich and used my binoculars to look round the garden etc. Then it was on to the 3pm talk, given by the gardener in the teaching garden. A wide variety of people collected for the talk with people from all over and abroad. The talk was very good, as you always do when the speaker is an expert in their field, and it was his very first talk, as he is one of the senior gardeners there, and I spoke to him later and said how much I had enjoyed his talk and how well and clearly he had spoken. He told me it was the first time he had done such a thing. He was used to answering peoples questions as he worked in the garden but an actual talk was something different, so well done him.
I took the buggy back, and medal medal, managed to pass by the shop with not a plant or book to my name! Thanking them for a lovely afternoon and saying how valuable the buggies were for me and the many like me , who literally could not get round the garden without them, I slowly walked back to the car and after some thought decided as I was not far from Otley, might go there whilst I was in the area and let the rush hour traffic get itself sorted before I went home. I was driving along quite happily, when there was a good layby before I got to Otley, and I decided that I would stop and make myself a much needed coffee and have one of my by now squashed sandwiches etc . So I duly sorted out the coffee etc and then found a chocolate mousse thing I had put in . The lid was very tight and hard to peel off, and then it suddenly gave way and spattered chocolate all down my nice clean top and trousers!! You would not credit the amount of mess it managed to make, and after I had cleaned myself up to the best of my ability, I hadnt put a spare t shirt or trousers in, in my rush to get going after the hairdressers, so the trip to Otley was abandoned and I made my way home. Somewhat shattered, I had to immediately get changed and then got a load into the washer, as I was worried that it might leave a stain if it was left to get dry. Anyway was pleased to collapse into a heap and watch some tv whilst the washer gurgled along as a backdrop and before I went to bed, was pleased to get the washing out and see that it had manage to clean it all. So my first job outside when there is enough daylight to see by is to go on the yellow peril to the washing lines and get it all hung out and dried asap. So much for diminishing the ironing!
Still I think on the whole yesterday was quite good. Most of all reminding me how much being outside in the garden can counter the blues, and urging anyone who is near enough to go and enjoy the lovely garden at Harlow Carr yourselves.
Today I havent even really looked up the calendar to see any exciting offers of such joys as doctors appointments and paying bills yet but no doubt when I have my much needed coffee and have a look I will find some things awaiting my attention, and I really must try hard to diminish my book collection and clear some more paperwork. How does it all manage to increase behind your back while you are out? It is really time to accept that flimsy cotton shorts and t shirts need to be put away and the optimistic thought that they might be used again shelved for a while. At least all clean shorts and so forth can be put away unironed!!
Well Mick I hope the chiropodist arrives on time, or even early and that you manage to get your usual bus and enjoy meeting friends. Someone I know spoke to me in the cafe yesterday and told me that the Moorland bus that goes on the weekend can take you to Helmsley and you can use your bus pass for that, so I plan to explore where it picks up from as that would be a good trip out , which if I took myself a little picnic and my binoculars could be a worthwhile idea for later this year.
Well I am hoping that all GN's are starting the day off well, that planned jobs and journeys work out and that we are all managing to get back into the routines after the many grandparenting efforts made over the holidays. Wishing you all a good day with now a little time to "stand and stare" and chance to enjoy that autumy landscape.