Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 20th September 2026

(45 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 20-Sept-26 04:49:56

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterdays trip to Crich went OK ,had about 4 hours there .
Todays plans , housework and laundry this morning, and I will watch the World cycling Championships time trials from Canada on TV this afternoon.
Health OK ,
Take Care,
Mick

GrandmaC47 Sun 20-Sept-26 11:21:37

Happy Birthday, NannyJan 🎂

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 20-Sept-26 11:21:06

Happy Birthday NannyJan.

NannyJan53 Sun 20-Sept-26 11:06:50

Good morning from a sunny Birmingham .

Out for a meal last night, stayed over, and now having a coffee before the train home.

Thank you so much for all the birthday wishes. Yet to open cards and presents as they are all at home.

Wishing you all a lovely day

Melanie61 Sun 20-Sept-26 09:57:40

Good morning from Sheffield
Happy birthday Nannyjan, have a great day

Well unbelievably I woke up at 9.20! Unheard of. I don’t know if this is the reason but I made a hop garland yesterday and hung it from my kitchen beam. It’s directly below our bedroom just at the bottom of an open staircase. I know they make hop pillows to help with sleep. I am wondering if it is the hops wafting upstairs.

We were going to cycle today. But as I’m still in bed drinking tea , I’m not sure that’s going to happen.

Take care everyone flowers

Georgesgran Sun 20-Sept-26 09:34:39

Good Morning from Durham, where it’s bright, but breezy and cooler again.
I seem to be full of aches and pains - quite trivial though, since I got back from my holidays - stiff joints in places.
I’m going to meet up with DD2 and DGS2 later and return her Little Dog. She has lots of laundry for me - oh joy!

Best wishes to all. X

GrannySomerset Sun 20-Sept-26 09:06:12

Church in the next village today and I am reading so must look at the passage again - the story of the labourers in the vineyard, which as a child struck me as unfair so will see if the sermon persuades me otherwise. Nothing else planned though a little gentle tidying in the garden might happen if it doesn’t rain. Seize the day, Madeleine, tidying up can always wait!

BlueSapphire Sun 20-Sept-26 09:05:05

Happy birthday nannyjan, have a lovely day! 💐🍾🎉💐🎂

karmalady Sun 20-Sept-26 08:47:00

MD that awful type of person, they just fill your head with unwanted rage. No empathy from them and that rage then affects your whole mind and body and even sleep and causes so much unnecessary angst

Coping with day to day life is enough. I bet you felt like swearing via a finger sign

BlueSapphire Sun 20-Sept-26 08:46:21

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Northampton, but a dry day is forecast. Again, no plans for going out today, plus, I seem to have caught DS-in-law's cold, as I spent the night coughing and have a sore throat this morning.

Still getting some discomfort in my eye after surgery; with the first one I had no soreness at all; I shall just have to be patient...

Wishing all a pleasant Sunday.

hollysteers Sun 20-Sept-26 08:43:50

Good morning from Sunnyside Sandhills northwest coast. Another quiet day yesterday and my cold is on the wane. FaceTime with flying DD who was tired as she has a lot of short hauls and gets up in the early hours of the morning and feels too tired when home to socialise etc. She’s put in for some long hauls which she enjoys.
She’s was also upset as her close childhood friend, more like a sister, is facing surgery after an unwelcome diagnosis.

I carried on watching some old telly classics, last night ‘Persuasion’ from 1971. Some of the costumes very obviously 70s, but good acting and straightforward. It’s interesting to look up the actors and see what happened to them.

I’m reading Ruskin’s letters of advice to three female artists.
The latest one is rather amusing as she has fallen in love with him to his horror and every letter now is telling her to pull herself together😁 She was wasting her time lusting after him…

Tonight I’ll probably go to my artist friend’s open mic and will something warmer than recent days.

Happy birthday Nannyjan, well done Madeleine and thoughts to all🌺

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:43:39

Happy Birthday Nannyjan

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:43:11

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

Yesterday we went to pick up a picture my DC bought me for my birthday from the framers at a local beauty spot. Our local framers closed down.
I then went into the nearby garden centre so the afternoon was spent refilling the pots by the front door.

Today I must cut the edges of the lawn ready for the new mower on Tuesday.
Roast beef for dinner.

Wishing everyone the best day possible.

grandMattie Sun 20-Sept-26 08:39:50

My goodness, md, what dreadful experience.
madeleine, Spieglim Spiegl always makes me sad as I was holding DH’s hand, listening to it, when he stopped breathing. Blessed relief for him, but….
ash, I do factor in a lot of sleep time, it just avoids me most nights, which average 5 1/2 hours these days- most annoying.
Sorry if I’ve missed lots of you, have happy birthday/anniversaries/days out/family visits…

EkwaNimitee Sun 20-Sept-26 08:21:19

Good morning Mick and everyone from Carlisle where we have a crisp, sunny day.
I've been for my early walk in the park. On the way I spotted a skein of noisy geese flying south, the first I've seen this year.
In the park, for the first time ever, I saw a squirrel. Not happy to see it as it was a grey, not welcome in Cumbria as they're killing off our rare, lovely reds.

I'd turned down the CH thermostat a few days ago as I didn't want it coming on before the end of the month at the earliest. Nevertheless, I got up to find it had come on so it must have been nippy during the night. Further downwards adjustment is needed I think, I've not been feeling cold and, if I do, I'll just add another layer of clothes rather than waste energy.

The rest of today? Gardening I hope, there are plants to plant and raised beds to sort out.

I hope you all find some pleasure in the day, best wishes!

Marydoll Sun 20-Sept-26 08:20:10

Good morning all from Glasgow, where it is 12°C.
I have been awake half the night, the pain my leg and hip was excrutiating!

Birthday greetings, Nannyjan, I hope you have a lovely day.

Pleased your visit went well, Susan and GMB had a lovely day.

I had the most annoying experience at church last night. There is a parishioner, who is literally stalking me. Even when I was il in bed, she wanted me to meet her at church ( immediately) to photocopy various items for some parish groups.
In the last fortnight, I have had at least ten messages plus emails.
I suggested, that she ask the P.P for help, but he has been avoiding her.🤬

I was already later than usual for church, as I had problems with the bulletin.
I was reversing into my usual, tucked away spot, when a figure jumped out, behind my car. She then proceeded to direct my parking, waving her arms and walking beside my car.
I couldn't get my door open, because she was standing beside it, rambling on.

When I eventually got out, she started complaining that she had been banging on the door and no-one came. (This was over an hour before Mass.)
I asked her, if she had exited via the fire door( which the young sacristan, unlocks to save me walking.
She had been told by a parishioner waiting outside, that the fire door would be open.

She continued to harass me, about the things she wanted done. I tried to explain, that some of the paperwork had been done and she was practically in the boot, as I tried to stop it blowing in the wind.
She also advised me that now I was 'cured', I would be able to get so much more done!!
I said I was chronically unwell, she told me I didn't look ill!!!!!
Her parting words were; If you could just get that done and my husband will pick it up tomorrow. 🙈

When I eventually got rid of her, I went inside to find a fuming sacristan. He had heard banging at the front door and went to investigate. There was no-one there and unknown to him, she was prowling through the sacristy.
The P.P heard me ranting about her and laughingly told me to say an Act of Contrition and two Hail Mary's.
Later he added two Hail Mary's and two glasses of wine🤣 because I was still ranting.

Wishing you all a lovely Sunday.

Liberty Sun 20-Sept-26 08:19:10

Good morning from a cloudy and warm feeling Suffolk where we are supposed to be having the last of this year’s heatwaves later this week.

DGD2 went off to Liverpool yesterday to start her course after Freshers’ week. We had photos of her room in the self catering Hall of Residence and I was pleased to see Bear her cuddly since she was a baby on her bed!

DD1 said how much they will miss her as she is such a good big sister to her brother and sister,especially acting as their chauffeur on numerous occasions.

DGD1 returns next weekend to do her final year of her law degree.

DH and I will walk the dog after breakfast and then do a little more tidying in the garden. Several pots need emptying before we can plant some bulbs although we’ll wait til November to plant tulips.

Hope all have a good day especially those not feeling their best.

latedecember1963 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:08:28

Good morning everyone from sunny Lancashire.

Happy birthday, NannyJan! Hope you have a super day. 🎂

Good to hear you managed an enjoyable trip out, Madeleine. Grown up sized playground equipment would be a winner for me. I often sneak onto the swings.
I agree that RHS membership is worth keeping up. We use ours regularly to get into RHS Bridgewater. Last Sunday we met the little chap's parents there and they were able to get in for free as our guests saving them over £18 each.

Take the sleep when you need it, GrandMattie. You're so busy most of the time that every now and then your body will rebel. Think of it as recharging your batteries!

You'll be needing a power nap too when your little treasures have gone home, Bellasnana.

Glad your visit to your Mum was ok in parts, Susan. As you say, "small wins."

Yesterday we walked to our local park where the little chap had fun in the play area. DD was happy to run around with him so DH and I were able to sit and watch. It was lovely seeing him having fun. When we're doing the supervising we're concentrating on keeping him safe so we don't get to just observe him. He's come on so much over the summer. It's exhausting having a toddler full time but it's also a privilege to have him and watch him develop.
DD is heading back to Birmingham later today and she's said her flat is going to seem very quiet! 😄

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

harrigran Sun 20-Sept-26 08:07:06

Good morning from a sunny NE where it is 11° with a forecast of 21° this afternoon.
DS and GD2 visited yesterday and it was lovely to hear all about her busy week.
She played the piano in assembly last Tuesday, there are 1,300 pupils and of course all of the teaching staff. Next week she is playing in a concert, songs from the musicals. I am in awe of her enthusiasm.
My DD was the same 40 years ago but did not pursue a career in music.
Today DS and GD are out and about with all her cameras taking photos for her art work. I am pleased I hung on to my film cameras so I was able to pass them on to her for retro type photography.
GD1 has returned to university in preparation for her final year, don't think I will see her until the end of term now.
Wishing everyone a good Sunday.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Sept-26 08:05:45

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

Church this morning and probably more time working on my enormous quilt. I’ll make chicken casserole for dinner followed by strawberry and raspberry crumble. I have some vanilla icecream left to serve with it.

My knees are still recovering from all the walking we did on holiday! They have both been partially replaced, so I’m not sure what would come next!

Have a good day.

brook2704 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:03:53

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s a dry bright start to the day
A very Happy Birthday nannyjan enjoy your day today💐🎂🥂
We had a lovely day yesterday, the boys were back from their football matches by lunchtime so we had lunch and then went out for a walk to a local country park. DD and Sil went out for a quick drink in the evening and then cooked dinner for us all. Finished off the day watching a bit of tv
More of the same today I expect, a trip to Go Ape in Thetford Forest was requested by youngest DGS but not sure if we’re going
Susan pleased that the visit to your mum at least started off well and she enjoyed the cake and singing
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all

Redcar Sun 20-Sept-26 08:03:24

Happy Birthday nannyjan, have a great day!

Redcar Sun 20-Sept-26 08:02:41

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. Dry, mild and cloudy outside so far, no rain in the forecast. Yesterday it was windy and humid with a few spots of rain. The garden chairs are on their backs this morning so it was obviously windy in the night.
Changed the bed yesterday, then pottered in the garden until my back decided that it had done enough !
I’ll carry on pottering today in between doing several machine loads of washing at the cheaper rate of electricity. Hoping one or both DDs will call in.

susan good that your Mum was able to enjoy at least some of her birthday.

madeleine I hope you feel well enough to go out again today, the housework can wait! I think you have to take advantage of the days when you feel less creaky and get out to visit the places you love!

grandmattie I hope you continue to feel better today, the extra sleep was obviously beneficial for you.

Have the best day possible everyone, hoping that those who are struggling find some relief today.

Gagagran Sun 20-Sept-26 07:53:17

Good Morning everyone from a brightening central south coast.

I had the best sleep for ages and was very grateful for that. It's the best tonic for minor ailments and helps low moods feel less so!

Laundry is the main item on the agenda today with DH's cycling gear filling his basket. We have separate ones because his gear is not the most savoury!

I need to make a list of the spring bulbs I need to get to replace the fuchsias and geraniums in the pots. They have been lovely for months but are definitely declining now. I know how they feel!

Take care everyone and enjoy the day as much as you can. Kind thoughts of all with struggles or worries of any sort.

luluaugust Sun 20-Sept-26 07:52:15

Good morning from a wet W Kent. Quiet day with phone call to DB and DD2 who would pop in but has a streaming cold. DS and DIL are away celebrating their wedding anniversary.
Cooked lunch and a good read I think.
Happy birthday NannyJan
Glad the play went well Ash
Susan so glad for you that you got some response from mum
Best wishes to all

Gingster Sun 20-Sept-26 07:52:02

Good morning and it’s rather grey and damp here in Essex,
Apparently due for much warmer weather this week. 🥵.

Yesterday was perfect for our coach trip to Leonardslee gardens in Sussex. Rain was forecast but we had none, it was warm enough without coats but pleasantly cool.

What a beautiful place it is with lakes and interesting gardens . A fantastic Dolls House with so many tiny scenes.It took 10 years to create. You could go round it a million times and still see something different.

The traffic both ways was good, no holdups which is unheard of . Our friend from the church who organises a different trip each year said it’s the last one he’s doing. What a shame! He’s had enough.

Dh was fine at home with DS1 and later Dd popping in to see if all was well.

Today we’re going to my db’s for coffee and cake, maybe a Sherry. They have a huge garden and orchard so we’ll come home with mainly apples and some logs for the woodburner.
I’m not sure if Dh will come, I hope he will.🤞.

I hope you all enjoy the day 🌻