Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday 20th September 2026

(44 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 20-Sept-26 04:49:56

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Yesterdays trip to Crich went OK ,had about 4 hours there .
Todays plans , housework and laundry this morning, and I will watch the World cycling Championships time trials from Canada on TV this afternoon.
Health OK ,
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sun 20-Sept-26 05:03:31

Good morning from Bristol. Not looked out yet, but it’s still dark.
On Friday, I didn’t feel particularly well, but put it down to several bad nights and lack of sleep. Yesterday. I could barely drag myself around; achey, slightly nauseous, generally miserable.
As I had to clean the church, I went in, did my aisle, had a coffee but came home very quickly. I sat down to rest my aching back and sort of dozed off. I decided to have lunch and then nap.
Blow me if I didn’t sleep for nearly two hours! I woke up feeling a bit discombobulated but so much better.
My FAB friend came over to dine before we went off to the URC for a quiz, proceeds to Bristol dementia charity. Three of us WA committee had brought a friend/spouse, so we were a rather odd six-some. It worked very well; we came 7th out of 16 tables. Everyone seemed to have a good time as we were all laughing a great deal…
Today, after church, I must finish my Spanish homework. My routine needs to change and adapt to the new day - unfortunately, the class is now in the busy half of the week.
May you have a blessed Sunday free from sorrow and pain.
Carpe diem ✝️🦩🦩🦩

Susan56 Sun 20-Sept-26 05:28:22

Good morning from Shropshire.

Yesterday’s birthday visit to mum was a mix as usual.Started off reasonably but as is usual now after about ten minutes deteriorated.The chef at the home had made her a beautiful cake.She actually smiled and thanked him and seemed to enjoy everybody singing Happy Birthday so I’ll take that as a win!

Today is a day at home.The morning will be spent doing household stuff then a new book to start reading this afternoon.DH will probably work in the garden.Its time to make a start on clearing the veg plot and greenhouse.We had a really good crop of French beans this year which have just come to an end.Still lots of tomatoes, carrots and beetroot to harvest.

I hope you enjoyed your birthday Grandmabatty and that your gall bladder behaved🤞🏻

I hope yesterday was a better day for Marydoll.I’m sorry life is so difficult at the moment 💐

Good to read madeleine had a good day and wishing everyone a good day today🦩🌻

monk08 Sun 20-Sept-26 06:17:21

Good morning all from a dark but dry Black country.
DH fishing so early start.
Have stripped the bed and it's in the wash, will be going to DiLs mums later there's a pre birthday tea for Dgs2.
Happy Birthday NannyJan 🎂🎉🍷 enjoy your day you've caught me up.😀
Best wishes to anyone else celebrating, safe travels on the move and hope there is some improvement for those struggling.
Have a good day everyone whatever your plans. 😎

karmalady Sun 20-Sept-26 06:25:45

Good morning from s somerset, dry and sunny today

Yesterday was an easy day, starting with making a lovely soup, I have a hob with a timer so left it gently simmering while I cycled to my allotment which is taking care of itself at the moment, there was only a spot of weeding to do

My merino top-down jumper is growing fast and I am on the bottom rib, neckband next in case I need to play yarn chicken with the sleeves. Just generally potching at home during the rest of the day and I decided to go upstairs when I wanted to nod off in my chair

It was only 8.40pm so I slipped into my sewing room and grabbed a cut out dress, which I had just started. It was a lovely change to be using viscose after the thick cotton waffle. I made the yoke and did the neckband and side seams. Very little is left to do, only sleeves and hem. It is purely and simply a dress for the next hot season, so will hang at the back of my wardrobe until then

I am wondering about today, it should be nice enough to go out on my bike, a slightly longer ride but not the windmill hill lane. I have ridden that difficult long lane three times this year and next time might be next spring, if I am lucky

Bellasnana Sun 20-Sept-26 06:31:31

Good morning from Malta where a cloudy day is forecast with a high of 29°C.

Had a lovely coffee and catch up with my friend yesterday. She’s so kind and easy to talk to.

We did a bit of food shopping together before I walked back home just in time to avoid a drenching when the heavens opened.

I lay on the bed for a while as I knew I’d be needing my batteries charged before the boys arrived.

DD3 said they would be tired but not so! We had fun, they had a bath and it was 10pm before they both slept!

I thought they might sleep late this morning but two little treasures appeared in my room at 6.45!😅

We are now up and I’m having my tea but not in bed!

I love having them, they’re the best company.

Wishing you all a good Sunday.🤗

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 20-Sept-26 06:56:53

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s dry but cool at 12°C. I’m going over on the bus to see my stepfather sometime today. He wants me to take some cash from the ATM. We now have a newly opened Banking Hub and it’s below me (handy) at the old Santander premises.

madeleine45 Sun 20-Sept-26 07:25:39

Good morning Michael and all GN's on a slightly lightening morning in North Yorkshire. I can just make out the silhouette of the tree and a few birds are twittering a little. No sign of the squirrel yet. At last I was able to get on here. My lap top was throwing a hissy fit, and it just kept showing a blank screen, and when I attempted to get it to start it just pinged and whinged but nothing appeared on screen. I started by methodically trying to get it to work but then just tapped and pressed anything, until at last it begrudgingly started to work. No idea which bit made it work for future occasions!!

Well I did put a post on yesterday when I came home, but I will say that I actually ended up with a very pleasant and calming day, and I am sorry that I was such a misery yesterday. As usual , I do tend to fight the inevitable for as long as possible! Anyway I went to Beningborough , which is a lovely NT property. I do enjoy seeing round the houses , when I am up to it, old properties were not made for hobblers and have lots of steps and so forth, but for calmness and peace at all times I love the gardens.

I do have a bit of a problem these days, as now I can only manage if I have a buggy to go round on. No chance of walking round in any way today. But the problem is this. If I know in advance when I am going I can book a buggy so that I am assured there is one for me. However if I only decide on the day, I cannot speak to anyone until they open at 10am. So especially with the cost of fuel these days, I cant set off on spec, so it always means hanging around before I set off. As the only good things about being up very early is to set off early, I cant do that so it makes it later. I have always tried to be fair to others, and I dont like to book a buggy, and then wake up knowing I just cant go that day, when someone else will have been told that the buggy is booked out. However when I got there and spoke to the lady about this, I found out that there is no one there earlier and so I plan in future to book a buggy, so that I can get off early. But if I cant manage it, if I ring them at 10am then they will be able to let someone else use it. So that is a good plan for the future. The lady said that it was very good of me to think of other people, but to me , I didnt think it was good of me at all, that is the only way to behave , and be fair to everyone. She told me that they sometimes had people booking it, not turning up but not letting them know, and I think that is very selfish of them.

Anyway it has been some time since I have been there and they have been doing quite a bit of new work in the garden. Despite the forecast for some rain, it was a lovely, windy autumn day, and I got my bag ready with my drink, sandwich, binoculars (good to look at the back of beds and read labels) and spare jumper and my by now very tatty fold up plastic cape. It is very very light, scrunches up to nothing and if it rains you put it on and it has a hood then a wide cover, so that I cover the top half of myself and some of the buggy. So Dora the Explorer was ready for the off.

What a joy to be free to travel where I wanted, and I am so thankful for the invention of these things that give us back a chance to move about more. Some areas were very painful as there were cobbles and rough ground, but it was worth it to be able to reach areas that I wanted to see. The weather remained ideal, as it was quite windy but very warm, and I didnt even need a jumper on for much of the time. Lovely vistas out over the autumn countryside, vegetable beds of all sorts and big squashes colouring up, and leading on to beautiful flower borders, where the autumn colours from the dahlias and the varied sunflowers , with some of the darker and smaller flower heads adding different colours. The perovskia - russian sage - was all over adding a lovely light blue to the beds and I was reminded what I need as my medication is , "take an hour in a garden , to be repeated at every downtime to lift the spirits."

The gardening staff were hard at work adding plants to a shady bed under trees, close to the playground that had been built since I last went there. It had lots of things for children to enjoy, but I do wish that the providers of such areas would take a moment to think. about the adults there. They always provide some sort of seating, yet to me what is missing is an adult size swing and a slide that they can use as well!! We have all spent those chilly days with children or grandchildren, when they are rushing about, enjoying things and keeping warm, while we freeze on a seat or boringly walk about to try and warm up. Often I am sure , we end up getting the children to leave before they want to, as we are just too cold and bored to stay any longer. Now a comfortable swing or a roundabout, or what about one of those boat swings where you can sit in with a child and pull the ropes to make it move? I constantly suggest it to staff in places or write it in a suggestion book, but so far havent found anyone taking much notice. Perhaps I shall next time write in that if we were encouraged to stay longer that we might choose to go to the cafe too and that we would choose to come here instead of other places. The thought of more entrance money and cafe profits might work. What do you think? Perhaps this could become a gransnet underground project?

Anyway it was all very enjoyable and they had done some lovely weaving with thin branches and making arches etc. I was finding it a bit painful as the paths were bumpy and then managed to find myself a corner in an area with some chairs and where the sun shone and the wind was blanked off a bit. I carefully transferred myself to a wooden chair, and with my rather squashed sandwich and a bottle of water and an apple was very content with my picnic, and half an hour with the Yorkshire post. Very peaceful and restorative, and so hurray again for the Heritage days. I no longer belong to the NT, which is a shame , as have been a member for many years and worked for them too. Unfortunately in North Yorkshire there are not a lot of properties close by, and as I have to think of the cost of the fuel especially these days, I reluctantly chose to stay a member of RHS, as I can get to Harlow Carr reasonably easily and not too far away. But the individual cost of entrances must surely make season tickets even more worthwhile.

Anyway I do hope that these weekends have shown families the pleasures and interest that there is from these lovely places and will encourage them to join. I am thinking of joining the Bowes Museum , as again it is quite close and I can enjoy the art exhibitions and of course the lovely silver swan. The Norman Cornish exhibition was particularly good. I got quite a good couple of photos of the swan working when I went there. I do recommend it if any of you are in the area. The art exhibition did inspire me to root out one of my sketch pads, and I am now going to add that to the bag of bits to take with me and perhaps I shall get back to doing more drawing and perhaps who knows I might think of going to an art class this winter.

Well have just heard the lovely Spiegal im Spiegal, followed by of course the great Bach before 7, and it is quite light and bright outside. The squirrel has put in an appearance, but not doing its mad dash up and down the tree at the moment, but no sign of the fat pigeons that usually walk about at this time.

I havent managed to get in the shower yet, too creaky, so time for coffee and a shower and then decisions decisions. I know that the ironing mountain has not reduced and there is plenty of jobs to do inside, but if the weather stays sunny and dry, I may yet again abandon all jobs with a quick picnic making and deciding whether I might go up my beloved Swaledale or off to the coast at Saltburn. My excuse is these days that autumn has to be made the most of. A sunny day might not come around for ages, so I can hear my mother , tut tutting, at the slovenly ways where I put enjoyment before jobs. Well everything is clean so thats all that matters. Blow the jobs. I might even look to see if there is yet another garden I might get to as this is the last day of the heritage offers.

I am glad you had a decent day out Mike and hope the cycling is good to watch. Hope you are feeling better today GrandMattie and the spanish homework went well. I quite enjoy a quiz at times, but am not in any group to do one. I could probably hold my own in geography and history etc, but even as a musician, dont know enough about pop music to do well in that and as for sport , I might do ok in rugby and any equestrian sport but football aint my thing and I would be useless at that. Glad to read that some of the time with your mum was good Susan. Oh I wish I still grew runner beans and french beans. Bringing them straight in and cooking them was so much better than buying them from the shop. Even when I stopped having a big garden, have always grown cherry tomatoes in pots . Always loved this time of year when in our rural area, Harvest Festival really meant something, and as a child I was quite proud of taking the best of my little gardens efforts, so runner beans and lovely radishes scrubbed clean and some of my dads rhubarb , were carefully carried up to the vicar to be added to the lovely array of food. I always loved the really sharp long red and white radish, cant remember their name but they were very sharp and bit back. Not like the rather boring red round ones you see in the shops.

Well wishing you all a peaceful and happy day and thankyou all for your concern yesterday. It really is so good to feel that even if I am alone here, that you are all there within reach, with thoughts and advice and care. So wishing you all a painfree and peaceful day today.

ginny Sun 20-Sept-26 07:28:11

Good morning. Sunny intervals expected today here in N. Bucks.
We will be watching the two younger DGSs play rugby. One in a match and the younger at a practice tag game. They and their Mum Mum ( Dad is away) will then come home with us for lunch, Toad in the Hole has been requested.
Some packing to finish for an early start tomorrow.
Wishing all a pleasant Sunday.

Ashcombe Sun 20-Sept-26 07:33:39

Good morning from Torbay where the day is still making up its mind, being cloudy but with some brightness in the East.

Yesterday afternoon, I enjoyed the play (The Mirror Crack’d) which was difficult to stage given the flashbacks within the script. We had a few issues with members of the audience, including “one old lady locked in the lavatory” just as curtain up was due! Luckily, DH, in his capacity of Manager, was able to release her.

I’m glad sleep was the answer to your feeling unwell, grandMattie. I read recently that we should prioritise our need to sleep but I know that is more difficult for some.

I’m glad your Mum took some delight in the celebration of her birthday, Susan56. Precious times.

I hope to attend church today, not least because I shall be away for the next several Sundays.

A blessed Sunday to you all. 🦩🥰✝️💐🦩

Grammaretto Sun 20-Sept-26 07:34:30

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. Dry and less windy.

There was a noisy party going on in the valley below until the early hours. It sounded so close due to the amphitheatre effect but also made me realise how quiet it usually is.
Today more sorting, clearing to do and a concert this afternoon. I hope to fit in some gardening too.

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Sept-26 07:34:36

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 11° and sunny. It's still breezy. Susan I'm sorry things went downhill when you visited your dear mum. I suppose take heart from the small moments. Bellasnana no long lie for you!
Thank you for all the birthday wishes for yesterday. I had a lovely day. Breakfast and gifts with my friend and her daughter and lots of chat. Once home, cards and a gift from my brother had been delivered. Then, in the afternoon, dd brought round the boys bearing a huge bouquet and a lovely present. Dd and Dsil took me for dinner at night. I had thought I was going to a nice place but was completely surprised when we arrived at a very upmarket steak restaurant called The Champany. I have always wanted to go and I had said to dd earlier this year we could go for a big birthday. However she and dsil decided to treat me. The meal was delicious but I could only eat half a steak, so the other half is in the fridge for later.
Susan my gallbladder complained in the night! So I had a disturbed sleep. This afternoon ds is coming to see me and that will be lovely. Have a good day all

Grammaretto Sun 20-Sept-26 07:35:36

I posted before wishing you all a lovely day and NannyJan a happy birthday

Grandmabatty Sun 20-Sept-26 07:39:41

NannyJan happy birthday to you

RosesandLilac Sun 20-Sept-26 07:42:45

Good morning, it’s a bit damp around the edges here on the hillside in south Glos, it drizzled on and off from mid morning yesterday. I did get an hour or so of gardening done first thing, very satisfying and I will do more today.
There’s plenty more to tidy so I’m hoping to get the bulk of it done this week.
A friend popped in for coffee, it’s always lovely to see her, she’s such a chatterbox.
Somehow I didn’t do much at all for the rest of the day, not that it matters though.
I did make coronation chicken with jacket potatoes for dinner and blackberry and apple crumble with ice cream for pudding.
A pootling day today I think!
Best wishes to you all x
🌹

Greyduster Sun 20-Sept-26 07:42:58

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where we are anticipating a nice dry day. Washing machine is doing its stuff.

Yesterday I did an early food shop and then pottered about until early afternoon when I went out to weed the new heather bed I planted earlier this year. Despite judicious care throughout the summer, I have lost five of the thirteen I planted - all summer/autumn varieties. The winter ones are doing ok. I also weeded the front rockery bed and was heartened to see that most of the plants I thought were gonners are showing signs of reviving, the heucheras especially..

Nothing much on the agenda today. I might bake cheese scones and cut the front lawn again.

Have the best day you can, folks.

Gelisa Sun 20-Sept-26 07:43:51

Good morning from a cloudy Morecambe Bay.
I need to get up and get CDog walked so I can make it home in time for church. I haven’t been for a few weeks due one thing or another.
Yesterday went well and the rogue grass is now removed from the lawn and 4 rolls of new turf have made a big difference. And I didn’t raise a finger to get it done as much to my surprise DH insisted on doing it despite his troublesome leg.
This allowed me to get our client’s grass cut. Perhaps as well I didn’t do our grass as I was aching and exhausted when I’d finished. My days of gardening from dawn to dusk, day in day out, le are long since behind me.
My only task for today is to put clean bedding on the guest bed as we have a friend stopping over tonight as she travels to visit relatives in the north of Scotland. She will stay again in a couple of weeks time on her way home.
Take care everyone 🌸

Greyduster Sun 20-Sept-26 07:46:46

Oh, Ash! Now I’m not going to be able to get “Oh dear what can the matter be” out of my head. My new ear worm😂!

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Sept-26 07:46:58

Morning from a dull S Hants, Happy Birthday NannyJan 🎂🥂have a lovely day.
Glad your Mum showed some pleasure Susan it’s so hard.
Veg bed cleared yesterday, greenhouse tomatoes are still giving.
MrJ off to watch grandson play football this morning, I’m doing some prep cooking for my brother visiting next week, just for lunch.
I’ll also get veg done for roast chicken tonight.
Enjoy your day all.
🦩 🦩

Gingster Sun 20-Sept-26 07:52:02

Good morning and it’s rather grey and damp here in Essex,
Apparently due for much warmer weather this week. 🥵.

Yesterday was perfect for our coach trip to Leonardslee gardens in Sussex. Rain was forecast but we had none, it was warm enough without coats but pleasantly cool.

What a beautiful place it is with lakes and interesting gardens . A fantastic Dolls House with so many tiny scenes.It took 10 years to create. You could go round it a million times and still see something different.

The traffic both ways was good, no holdups which is unheard of . Our friend from the church who organises a different trip each year said it’s the last one he’s doing. What a shame! He’s had enough.

Dh was fine at home with DS1 and later Dd popping in to see if all was well.

Today we’re going to my db’s for coffee and cake, maybe a Sherry. They have a huge garden and orchard so we’ll come home with mainly apples and some logs for the woodburner.
I’m not sure if Dh will come, I hope he will.🤞.

I hope you all enjoy the day 🌻

luluaugust Sun 20-Sept-26 07:52:15

Good morning from a wet W Kent. Quiet day with phone call to DB and DD2 who would pop in but has a streaming cold. DS and DIL are away celebrating their wedding anniversary.
Cooked lunch and a good read I think.
Happy birthday NannyJan
Glad the play went well Ash
Susan so glad for you that you got some response from mum
Best wishes to all

Gagagran Sun 20-Sept-26 07:53:17

Good Morning everyone from a brightening central south coast.

I had the best sleep for ages and was very grateful for that. It's the best tonic for minor ailments and helps low moods feel less so!

Laundry is the main item on the agenda today with DH's cycling gear filling his basket. We have separate ones because his gear is not the most savoury!

I need to make a list of the spring bulbs I need to get to replace the fuchsias and geraniums in the pots. They have been lovely for months but are definitely declining now. I know how they feel!

Take care everyone and enjoy the day as much as you can. Kind thoughts of all with struggles or worries of any sort.

Redcar Sun 20-Sept-26 08:02:41

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. Dry, mild and cloudy outside so far, no rain in the forecast. Yesterday it was windy and humid with a few spots of rain. The garden chairs are on their backs this morning so it was obviously windy in the night.
Changed the bed yesterday, then pottered in the garden until my back decided that it had done enough !
I’ll carry on pottering today in between doing several machine loads of washing at the cheaper rate of electricity. Hoping one or both DDs will call in.

susan good that your Mum was able to enjoy at least some of her birthday.

madeleine I hope you feel well enough to go out again today, the housework can wait! I think you have to take advantage of the days when you feel less creaky and get out to visit the places you love!

grandmattie I hope you continue to feel better today, the extra sleep was obviously beneficial for you.

Have the best day possible everyone, hoping that those who are struggling find some relief today.

Redcar Sun 20-Sept-26 08:03:24

Happy Birthday nannyjan, have a great day!

brook2704 Sun 20-Sept-26 08:03:53

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s a dry bright start to the day
A very Happy Birthday nannyjan enjoy your day today💐🎂🥂
We had a lovely day yesterday, the boys were back from their football matches by lunchtime so we had lunch and then went out for a walk to a local country park. DD and Sil went out for a quick drink in the evening and then cooked dinner for us all. Finished off the day watching a bit of tv
More of the same today I expect, a trip to Go Ape in Thetford Forest was requested by youngest DGS but not sure if we’re going
Susan pleased that the visit to your mum at least started off well and she enjoyed the cake and singing
Hope everyone has the best day they can, take care all