Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 18th September 2026

(59 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 18-Sept-26 04:52:52

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark but dry outside here in Brackley at the moment.
Plans for the day , bus trip as usual into Bicester , do a shop and maybe have a chat to those i know.
Fish & Chips from the local chip shop ,about 100 metres away .
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

Bellasnana Fri 18-Sept-26 05:23:20

Good morning from Malta where we expect another day with a high of 32°C. The forecast has said ‘cloudy’ for the past few days, but it has been sunny with blue skies and just the occasional fluffy white cloud floating by.

I was busy all day with the boys. They were very good and played together well which is not always the case!

SiL had them for an hour while I went to the doctor which meant I didn’t have to drag them with me.

DD3 picked them up at 3pm. They were going to school to meet their new teachers. DGS1 is rather concerned at being promoted to Grade 1 but I’m sure he will settle once he gets started.

I have them again today from 8am and will make the most of it. I feel so down when the holidays are over. I was the same when my own four children were at school, always loved having them home all summer and dreaded term starting again.

One of my nieces in Edinburgh is in hospital being induced with her third baby (a girl). She has suffered from cholestasis in her pregnancies and it had got worse hence the decision to induce her at 38 weeks. I’m anxiously awaiting news.

Wishing everyone a good day. Another week has flown. 😨

grandMattie Fri 18-Sept-26 06:03:48

Good morning from a dry Bristol. The temperature is 12C according to Alexa - autumn has arrived!
I had another bad night, waking at 2 and not managing to get back to sleep until about 4. It really annoys me.
Yesterday went ok; I had a good tai chi class, then quiet afternoon. On my way to DD’s, I went to the library (not really on my way), the ink shop to replenish my printer ink, then to Whiteladies Road to Specsavers to adjust my sunglasses which kept on slipping off my nose.
The adults were at a parents’ evening, the girls doing their homework, so I was glad of my newly collected book. Dinner was very animated. For a change, Iris didn’t throw any tantrums, ate her dinner without taking 1 hour or getting cross if asked to get on with it!
Today is my “day off”. I need to get some help understanding my new washing machine on line, clean and tidy the house for my monthly “salon” and haircut with two neighbours. Finish machining the patchwork, make some jam, change the house linen and wash it….
bellas, I used to feel exactly the same, loving having my children around during breaks and holidays. I hope your niece is now ok.
I hope that the sickbay is emptying fast and everyone has a good start to the weekend.
Carpe diem 🦩🐦‍🔥🦩🦩🦩

karmalady Fri 18-Sept-26 06:14:52

Good morning from s somerset, steadily and slowly cooler now. Alexa says showers today

I found myself de-cluttering again yesterday, finished cleaning, sat down and suddenly had the thought about my many plants. It certainly looks fresher/better this morning. I did feel sad doing this because I started this plant collection after my husband died but everything does have its time. I still have a lot of plants but they look tidier and the remaining pots are all simplistic modern white or grey, which set off the grouped sansevieria plants in each pot, From 3 to 5 in a pot

My sleep last night was excellent, was not expecting that after having too long a nap yesterday afternoon, maybe plant and pot removal also de-cluttered my mind

Onwards and upwards today, I am expecting one last small delivery and will need to keep an eye on dpd progress so I can go and meet him before he turns in, no access here for a while longer

Eating with the seasons again today and I will be making a Sicilian soup. I still have plenty of delicious greens in my garden and I want to go for a walk again, I did two trips to the shops yesterday and I might do an `around town` march, depending on dpd arrival.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 06:33:50

Good morning from a just getting light N Surrey. A better sleep last night thank goodness. Yesterday was taken up with a plumber here almost all day. The CH system required a power flush. Its first ever after 40 plus years. Seems to have worked. He tested the heating out and all the rads heated up well. Fingers crossed no leaks underfloor. It felt strange to have a warm house again after the very "warm house" I have had this summer.

My new Bosch washing machine has been a good choice. It is simple and I have used 2 of the cycles almost daily since it arrived. One a very short warm wash 30 minutes and one a 60 minute mixed load slightly hotter. These will be my go to choices.

I had a mountain of unwashed stuff which has now disappeared. Summer stuff I wash, dry and then just smooth and fold ready to store. Thry get a wash and iron next year when they come out of hibernation.
A quiet day today after an anxious day yesterday. Anxiety is so tiring.
A good day to all.

RosesandLilac Fri 18-Sept-26 06:37:01

Good morning from south Glos, only 7° at the moment and a high of 17° today so definitely autumnal.
Yesterday’s plans changed! My friend asked if I’d like to go out for brunch so off we went 😊 It was a venue I’ve only been to once before, years ago. Very nice but very expensive (!)
When I got back it was lunchtime so DH got his own and I went outside and did an hour’s gardening, chopping down the runner beans etc and brushing the patio. I’m very pleased with my efforts.
Today I have a hospital appointment first thing for an ultrasound on a lump on my lower leg. I’ll drive because I should be able to park at 9am ( you definitely can’t by 10)
Then I’ll do the bits that didn’t get done yesterday.
Wishing you all a good day x
🌹

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sept-26 06:37:37

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 12° and cloudy. It's just starting to get light. Karma sicilian soup sounds interesting.
Yesterday I did an hour in the school library which wasnt too messy. Lots of processing and repairing done. Then I sorted my bank card issue. I tried the local post office but it didn't work. The assistant said that the atm at tesco would sort it- and it did. So I did next week's shopping while I was there. Then home to empty the car and find my service booklet. All done easily. In the afternoon, I had a nap then pottered about, doing washings etc.
Today I will take the car for its service. Dd will pick me up. Once home, I intend to clean the windows and do the ironing. You know what they say about good intentions! I will probably need to order a taxi to go back for the car as dd is going out. Then fish pie for dinner. Have a good day all

RosesandLilac Fri 18-Sept-26 06:38:09

I’m having similar thoughts about all my pot plants Karmalady, so perhaps I’ll do the same 😊

Susan56 Fri 18-Sept-26 06:46:59

Good morning from Shropshire.Sunshine and showers forecast all day.

I have had a better nights sleep so am feeling better today thank goodness.The dr phoned yesterday afternoon and was so kind.A half hour chat😳he prescribed some antibiotics as a blood test showed signs of an infection,.The prescription is sent electronically to the pharmacy and was delivered an hour later.

Today we both have an appointment in Wrexham this morning then home to find a box of things in the garage from mums house which DD2 has requested.

I always loved my children being home during the school holidays too and feel the same about the grandchildren.

Wishing everyone the best day possible and hoping all suffering had a better day yesterday🦩🌻

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 06:50:47

Yes my outdoor pot plants need a tidy. Some plants suffered in the summer heat and I think I will dig them out and replace with the sedum cuttings which are doing well. I will also discard some old battered pots and have fewer to water and look after.

Less is more I think now. One potted hydrangea I think may have died. The rest are fine. I will cut it back to the 2 bud per stem level and it can go in the sick bay up the side of the house and hopefully recover.

My garden will be my solace this autumn and winter following DHs death in mid August. I am very lucky to have the garden despite it looking very sad after a roasting summer. We will both recover. I hope.

kittylester Fri 18-Sept-26 07:07:46

Good morning all from North Leicestershire.

Usual Friday visit to the butcher's but I have heard that Waitrose has electrical problems and no working fridges or freezers. Seems like a trip to Tesco is in order.

DD2 and Co will arrive latish this evening and stay for the weekend.

Grammaretto Fri 18-Sept-26 07:09:27

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. I've come back to bed with a cuppa. Listening to classical music on our local radio station and considering buying myself a teasmaid for my new house. can you still buy them?

Yesterday after yoga and a quick lunch I went by bus to the private dentist who's doing my implants. It's in stages so next month I hope to have a less gappy 😁

Today I am booked on a monthly jaunt with U3A.

All the best to your niece Bellasnanna.and for your own appointment. 🤞

I hope your scan is ok Rosesandlilac. You have been through such a lot recently. Take care.

It's my youngest DGD birthday today but I'll not see her till next weekend. I posted a little gift.

Thinking of all who are struggling with health or other worries .

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 18-Sept-26 07:13:12

Morning all from West Oxfordshire.

We had a lovely holiday but it’s always good to be home. A new sewing basket was waiting for me. It should have been delivered today but I received an email yesterday when we were at Milan airport, telling me it was being delivered in the next hour! I contacted my neighbour (who has a key and feeds the cats when we’re away) and she took it in.

While OH was catching up with some Matches of the Day last night, I watched the final two episodes of Colin from Accounts. Hilarious, very rude and highly recommended.

Haircut today and I’ll do a shop afterwards. I will then get on with some more hand quilting.

It definitely feels autumnal but not cool enough for central heating yet, surely!

Have a good day everyone.

karmalady Fri 18-Sept-26 07:13:54

HelterSkelter I felt as though a load was lifted from me after removing almost all my outdoor pots. I started with 3 very large veg trugs and finally finished outside just a few weeks ago. I managed to get most pots to the tip and they were snapped up by other people

Outside, I only have two large square pots of agapanthus left but they take care of themselves and also some very large pots of blueberries, which provide me with over 8kg of fruit for the freezer

I figured that I could work the same magic on my indoor plants and pots, starting with the absolute fact that climbing on a chair to water will soon be a no no

My pots are all lechuzza planters in shiny clean white or a matt graphite. They cost a lot over time but so be it. The red pots are going and I will be selective in keeping empty white or graphite for future use when the babies get bigger. The sansevierias remain in their pots for many years and the more crowded, the better. The photos are better than a description, they include a variety of babies in small pots

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sept-26 07:13:55

I meant to say Brook have a safe journey from the north to the south! Bellasnana fingers crossed for your niece for a speedy delivery.

madeleine45 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:14:57

Good morning Micheal and all GN's on a very dark and , as far as I can tell ,still morning in North Yorkshire. Cant even see any smidgen of an outline anywhere. When I dont sleep well and am up very early, the sight of dawn cheers me up and I enjoy watching the light touching the tree etc. So of course this time of year is not good, especially as despite the good weather recently, I cant pretend that autumn which I love, but then winter cold will be following it, and there aint owt I can do to stop it, as King Canute would say!

Well I am in a reasonable mood considering that I have had so little sleep and my wretched body clock seems to have gone haywire, and I am unable to do much about it at the moment. I get annoyed with myself when it all goes wrong, and I cannot seem to do anything to alter it whatever I do. You would think I would have learnt to just accept it and shrug my shoulders but I still try to change things. Once again after a busy day I planned to sit down and watch Downton Abbey, as a pleasure and a calming down ready for bed, instead of looking at things that can set me worrying too much. Just saw about 5 minutes and the next thing is it is 1.30am and I have missed it all, have been asleep in the chair, with my legs on the floor and my back and neck hurting from the position I am in. Then of course, whatever you do, to go to bed you have to move and then are wide awake and cant get back to sleep!! Grr! I did all that I could to try and ease things and dozed a bit but by 4.20am I gave it us as a bad job, and so am up and dressed and poised to get off to the supermarket when I have finished this and my coffee. Want to get my local paper , firstly to check on what is happening around here and then I can make a decision about what I hope to do on saturday, that will lead on to decisions about what shopping I need etc.

I am definitely into the "get things sorted" mode , which is my september start of the school year normal thing. Despite being retired I think I retain that habit of looking at many things at this time of year. Checking paperwork and things like car insurance etc, remembering to see if my driving licence photo is up to date, and looking to see what the calendar has already got on it to decide which if any of the courses that tend to begin now I might join.

So yesterday, I had done a bit of sorting out, but I was really struggling physically, which is very frustrating , when I am in the get up and go mode but my bodies union seems to be on strike and is reluctant to move at the speed I want it to. I was pleased to have done a few things, but everywhere was irritating me as it all looked so untidy and I wasnt able to do much about it, other than sorting out the mountain of ironing that needs to be attacked when it is miserable outside.

I had the meeting at the womens group to go to, and wasnt sure what they were planning to do, and my pain level was such that I was in two minds whether to go or not. However I got myself going, hung all the washing out - with difficulty- they have recently put new washing lines up. Very good as the old ones were sagging and getting tatty. However on a day like yesterday, even going down there on the trusty yp, I really struggled to get the duvet cover over the line, which was very taut and it took me several goes to get it up and pegged. Then I got back to the flat and hurriedly tidied myself up, and no time to even get washed up, set off for the meeting.

There is a locked door which I can ring the bell and get someone to let me in, so that I can leave the yellow peril safely in an area and locked and then go up in the lift. So hobbled in and joined the group. They were doing some craft things and making some pompoms which I gather are probably for decorations for that time in December (which for me is only to be spoken about after bonfire night!) Well I enjoy art and various craft things that make something that I consider useful or beautiful, but I am afraid that the pompoms do not come into that category for me, so was quite happy to have a coffee and join in the discussion about what we might try to do in the coming weeks.

The small amount of money that was a basis for the group has come to an end and has been allocated elsewhere so now we must pay for whatever we do ourselves. This is a council decision, and whilst I understand their need to use money wisely, I really do feel that again they are looking only at the short term and obvious benefits. The group is run by volunteers and we all take our turn in helping out, so there is not a lot of money spent. However the total ethos of the group is that any woman of any age or any situation, whether it is a newcomer to the area, who knows no one, a mum with children at school, a pensioner, someone from the womens refuge or living alone with no local friends. All are welcome, and find a weekly place to come and lighten the worries in life. We learn about lots of different things from, speakers ranging from the hearing dogs to a speaker we have coming in a couple of weeks about AI and safety issues. So besides that once a week meeting, between the many and varied women who come, there will be someone who has been in your position in the past, or is an ex civil servant or in my case, I am happy to look at forms people have received - mostly government types - which are of course written to cover their backs and not to be clear and easily understood english for the reader. English is a wonderful language for its variety and different ways it can be used, but that also means that even a sentence can be read in 3 different ways, which will affect your answer. As far as I personally know, most people are honest and wish to fill them in correctly, but can become very worried in case they misunderstand the meaning and put in a wrong answer, which might mean having to refill 10 page document in all over again and delay things. So our group provides informal help, can direct people to the place that they need to go, and this indirectly also helps the NHS. When you live alone and are worried about something and dont see how to solve things, this can lead into depression and anxiety , and a downward spiral where you dont see how to proceed. This is the great thing about the group, that it doesnt matter if a person speaks about a problem or not, they feel that there is somewhere that they can go for advice and help. If we cannot keep the group going I think it is going to be a great loss for many people and the other thing that is useful is that if there is something happening in the town, such as the paths being dug up and not replaced properly by zoom, we can make a list of all the problem roads and paths and then approach the council and try to get something done, before there is a costly accident. We really are a hub, and with the weather getting colder, just knowing that you can come to a warm place for a couple of hours is another good point.

I hadnt been there long when I had a message from my cleaners to say could they come earlier as they had had a cancellation. As I was desperate to get things sorted and also needed to ask them to do various things I needed doing especially, I had to shoot off and get home, and they were already there. I had to sit and think of what I had made a list of and other bits and pieces I had thought of, such as of course opening a beetroot jar, which I had fought with for some time to my annoyance ! Anyway they were a whirlwind of sorting and cleaning and hurray getting all those bits and spoons and a knife which had fallen to the floor and my grabber just would not pick up. So I shot off and retrieved my by now, clean and dry washing, and so was somewhat shattered but pleased to be sat in a clean and tidy home with the bliss of clean bedding to enjoy after my shower. Ah if I win the lottery (fat chance!) I shall have clean linen sheets put on every day and someone else can iron them so that that lovely feeling sliding into bed will be a daily bliss with the smell of washing dried outside. Ah not everything that is lovely costs the earth does it?

Today I have to get off early to get a few bits and of course the paper, then it is off to Bocca at the library, which I do intend to try and go regularly to. It is at least some form of exercise - doesnt compare to my lovely savage squash playing in the past - and the people are pleasant. Then home for a quick lunch and a few jobs before getting off to the doctors for 3pm, which is for my annual diabetes check up, and then later this month I have my eye check up at specsavers which is related to the diabetes things. It is something I do get stressed up about, as there is nothing I can do, but wait for them to tell me if my eyesight is still ok to drive with. I have no real worries on that score, and am not so stupid or selfish that if I noticed some problems , I would continue to drive without a check up; but you just have no idea. I have had one check up where I thought I was fine and they said I needed new glasses and a later one, where I thought they might say I needed a change and they didnt need anything doing, just slightly altering the frame angle so who knows? My driving is so important to me at the moment, especially when my back is very bad. It is that freedom to get about at my own pace. Trying to stand waiting at a bus stop or taking for ever and a day to walk down for a loaf of bread is hard, so thank goodness for the yellow peril, which is keeping me independant if windblown so far!

Well hope the fish and chips are good today Mike and you have a pleasant trip out. Hope you have a lovely day with the boys Bellasnana, and can you make a plan to meet a friend or go to an exhibition on the day they start school, as something to look forward to for yourself to counteract that missing them feeling? Whilst you are still lucky enough to have lovely weather you could perhaps go off for a picnic somewhere. I love the early autumn times and have my box of tricks in the car so that I can take a sandwich etc if I have planned it, but also have plates and so forth with me so can buy some fish and chips and go up on the moors and enjoy them there with a lovely view of the purple heather. I even keep a bottle of vinegar in the car for such occasions.!

Well wishing all GN.s a pleasant day and a chance to make the most of the autumn days. I shall be watching out for a good conker or two, used to be quite a conker queen in the past. Sadly not many people my age seem to play that any more!!

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:17:18

The Ch was on for a test run after the power flush. Not cold enough yet in N Surrey to use it yet!!

I really laughed at Colin from Accounts. Very rude butneho cares. The ending was just right.

Marzipan22 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:22:57

Good morning from Cornwall. Cloudy and breezy today, nice and cool.

I watched the entire season 6 of Downton Abbey yesterday from my bed, sewing at the same time. Will find out this morning at the doctor's if healing is progressing well and how much I can walk again.

I thought my erigeron daisy plant had died during the drought. I'm fond of it because I plucked a tiny scrap from a gutter and grew it on and was chuffed to see a new bloom smiling up at me yesterday.

Today I'll take a book with me and have a coffee in the plush hotel next to our surgery after my new dressings are in place. A change of scenery will be nice. I'm missing my jaunts! 😊

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:23:41

Madeleine I don't have to look out for conkers as I have 2 large horsechestnuts in the garden.
Well I do have to look out for them actually as they flipping hurt when they fall on my head. I try to remember to wear a hat when hanging out the washing.
This year they are large but not so plentiful. Last year I hadnso many it took ages to sweep them up. Binful after binful. I really needed some bob a job scouts to help.

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Sept-26 07:29:30

Morning, cloudy and 12 in S Hants, no house plants here, I kill them, apart from an orchid. The orchid seems to thrive on neglect and has new growth.
HelterSkelter1 💐
Cleaned the kitchen units yesterday, sorted my shoes - three pairs going to the CS.
We ate venison with root vegetables, tasty.
Tesco delivery today, no pub probably as MrJ playing bowls, although I might go down.
🦩 🦩

Redcar Fri 18-Sept-26 07:29:49

Good morning everyone from mid Essex. Sunny at the moment, but quite chilly, no rain in the forecast. Yesterday I vacuumed throughout then sorted out my shoes, some are destined for the charity shop.

Bingo at lunchtime today, I wonder what we’re eating today. It will be fun, always good to meet up with friends and there’s a lot of chatter and laughter.

HelterSkelter I hope you continue to find solace in your garden, but a difficult time of year to get through. Good that your new washing machine has some quick programs, most of them are very long,

marzipan I hope that having the dressings removed from your feet isn’t too painful and that they are healing well. You must be keen to get out and about again.

grandmattie I hope you can get to grips with your new washing machine soon. Some of the new models have so many programs but we only use one or two!

I hope it’s a good day for everyone, especially those who are unwell. Friday again!

Grandmabatty Fri 18-Sept-26 07:31:53

madeleine, I take it you found the missing tv remote and your phone!

latedecember1963 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:32:39

Good morning everyone from Lancashire.
Haven't had chance to read this morning's posts yet but will come back later.

It's DH's birthday so just put the little chap into a vest with "Happy birthday, Opa, love from **" printed on it.

DH is wfh this morning and annual leave this afternoon.
DD is coming back from Birmingham for a long weekend and we're out for tea tonight.

Wishing you all the best day possible.
Hope you've had better nights, Marydoll and Madeleine.🤒 Cramp is horrible! 🌻

Greyduster Fri 18-Sept-26 07:36:30

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it’s going to be a day of mixed weather. I too woke at two o’clock this morning and then I don’t know if I actually had trouble getting back to sleep or just dreamed that I did!

Yesterday’s walk in the woods was lovely, but we were surprised to see two police personnel in high viz jackets ambling around. This following the recent incident where a man was found in that section of the wood with a bullet in his head. Whether they were there yesterday as a reassuring presence or for some darker reason we didn’t ask. We exchanged pleasantries with them and went on our way. I had lunch with DD, and then called on my niece on the way home. It was good to see her.

Today I must put some air in my car tyres before I go to school for an hour. This evening I’m going to The Crucible with DD and SiL to see King Lear. Iain McDiarmid is the lead. It has great reviews. It will be a later than normal night for me and I will have to drive home from DD’s in the dark, which I hate, but once in a while won’t hurt.

Have the best day you can, folks.

HelterSkelter1 Fri 18-Sept-26 07:36:43

The Lechuza pots look wonderful karmalady and I have answered my own question by watching the video on their website. They have a removeable lining. Food for thought.

I do have plastic pots on the patio/back step as they are lighter and I do buy matte black or dark grey where possible. The old brown ones I am ditching when I empty them. Plenty to do this year.
Even though I am saying no to Christmas gifts, giving and receiving, this year, a Lechuza pot would be welcomed!