Good morning Michael and all GN's on a very dark and still north yorkshire morning. A very poor start to this day as I was woken by awful cramp and still very bad, so that I am having to take great care with how I am sitting right now.
Another rubbish night and my eyes feel gritty with lack of sleep, and such weariness. Well I may get some ironing done shortly, as then I would have at least a choice of something I like to wear. Today is going to be quite a busy day, and I need to make my list of things that have to be done, and things I would like to get done.
Yesterday was a varied day. Definitely hobbling around first thing, and it seemed to take forever to dismantle the laptop and get it all put in the right parts of the bag, ready to take to the techy genius that is Artie. When I got to Upfront, there was a veritable queue of mobility scooters, and I had some difficulty getting mine parked up etc, and then hobbling in to my appointment. There were a lot of minor problems , rather than one specific thing, and between us we were able to at least make some inroads and deal with various things, and he showed me hot to remove messages, without losing the whole lot such as NHS things. I had so many and varied things on my phone etc., but was worried in case of trying to remove one thing I deleted it all. So there were still things that we couldnt sort out, but generally glad to have both cleared up some problems, saved some space, and been able to feel that I am not an idiot because I couldnt sort it all out myself!
The weather stayed quite warm, and breezy, so after leaving there, I was able to go up the high street , doing various bits and pieces and then making my way to Lakeland. I had a voucher for 25% off if I spent £50 on full cost items, not those in a sale already. Well I had been looking round previously and had plans for certain things I wanted to buy. I had waited until the school went back to hopefully have a quieter time to go into the shop, and as I was having a tough day, no chance to walk round but had to carefully negotiate the shop on the buggy. Naturally when I arrived they had just received a delivery and there were various boxs scattered round the shop, that they were attempting to deal with. Couldnt leave it until another day as yesterday was the last day of the offer.
So a more complicated trip around, grateful for my mirrors etc. Anyway I was pleased to get another good thermos flask, that guarantees to keep things hot or cold for 24 hours. Have one like this already and it is very good, so this is going to provide me with my autumn picnic requirements so that I can go far up on the moors away from town and have something warm to eat or drink. So besides that I bought about 6 in a group of sealable bags for use in the freezer or fridge, and a couple of other bits and pieces, and was pleased to have saved £6 on the overall purchase. The staff apologized for the chaos on the shop floor, but obviously , were also just getting over the holiday things and trying to get the shop stocked for autumn. I managed to get around without knocking anything over or causing them more problems, but I do wish wretched designers would think , or ask disabled people for comments. There were quite a few stands, where the bit on the floor was an absolute square with a ninety degree angle on the bottom part of the stand. If they just rounded those corners off, it would make very little difference to their efficacy, but give you that little bit more room to maneouvre, without getting these corners jammed and having to do innumerable to ing and fro ing to get round.
Anyway I was pleased with the effort and rewarded myself with a coffee and apricot croissant as my lunch in Cafe Nero, as the morning had flown by. I was really struggling with my back, but was pleased to find that a sense of peace had descended there, with the schools being back and the regulars sat in their usual places enjoying the peace and quiet, with dogs back to their normal places. Ah , what bliss to have a comfortable seat and the new lady, efficiently remembering my usual order, and delivering a much needed coffee very quickly! Eventually I rather reluctantly wended my way homeward to catch up with a few jobs.
I am still in militant mode regarding accessibility , and so then went off on the yellow peril to the council office, for the first part of my next plan of action. I wanted to check that the council or someone definitely follows up hotels claims to have provided things, and does not just let them announce things willy nilly. They provided me with the phone number and address of who to check up with and so todays action will be firstly to contact trading standards and then go from there.
My hassle with the hotel after my other problems with the library has now goaded me into militant mood generally and I shall be making it my mission at the moment to check on the various promises of disabled access whereever I go to locally. The hotel doesnt know what will be hitting them shortly. Yesterday, after careful consideration what to say etc., I sent off a detailed email to the library explaining my tale of woe and the difficulties that are there for disabled people, that I considered that members of their committee should attempt to do my journey over bumpy yellow lines and grit and the appalling effort on the ramp etc. I later received a very nice email from the librarian thanking me for my detailed information and saying that she was using all this to fill in a complaints form for the council etc and would be letting me know of any outcome, and thanking me for saying that I would be happy to test out any plans or intentions before they spent money on things. So that was a tick for one thing, and I had been careful to say how very good the library was once you had managed to access it, that the staff were all helpful and pleasant etc etc., as I do try not just to be a Victor Meldrew type moaner all the time and praise where I can, So pleased with the result of my efforts on this front, today is going to be the first attack on the hotel front, and see what I can do for people there.
This morning there is someone , quite reputable as far as I can tell, coming to a village hall nearby. They buy gold and silver and broken jewellery etc. I have spoken to someone who went the last time they came and so have collected several bits and pieces, with a plan to go down and see whats what. There is no pressure to sell, so this lady tells me, but they do value things and more to the point ,can tell you if what you have is genuine whatever or paste. So on a previous occasion she sold a couple of broken necklaces which had just sat in a drawer and she didnt like them enough to get them mended, and then they gave her a valuation on a brooch, which she didnt choose to sell then, but later got in touch and sold it . So it sounds worth a look. I shant be holding my breath waiting to find I have a diamond necklace worth thousands, but I do have one or two things from my great aunt. I have never seemed to find the occasion to wear them, and they dont have any great sentimental value, so if they would add to the petrol money to allow me to go off upto Swaledale or to the coast, it might prove worth while. we shall see. Doing that first will allow my mind to work out my next port of call for action on the wretched hotel and the awful potholed roads and paths.
Ah, I think I shall appear as that wretched woman on the yellow peril yet again, to the dread of the various officials in council offices all over. They have already learnt that ,whilst I am very polite, and understand that they personally do not make the rules, I am not to be fobbed off, and will return again and again until something is sorted. My next plan of action is to give them a reasonable time to do something and then I shall be out in the town photographing potholes and vans parked across the dropkerbs on the market days etc. All grist to my mill when I start my campaign to have a letter in the local paper every week about one thing or another until they are glad to sort it and get rid of my moans and groans! Perhaps I shall become Vera Meldrew!! I also intend to galvanize other buggy users and anyone with problems in the womens group to join me in contacting councils and appropriate people, to get the message across that we expect and intend to have action, and that we will not rest until something is done. Ideas of the group of us trundling on our buggies down the street singing Jerusalem and "I shall not rest " etc come to mind, which I may save until I see which way the wind blows and then on a quiet week for news invite the local paper to take a picture of us all descending on the council and encouraging others to join us.
Well I felt very weary, and too tired to do any ironing, but did get shopping put away and a couple of jobs done before it was time to go to the games night. Havent been too well for a few weeks and not been down there , I had to hunt about for my bright yellow cover to go on the back of the buggy to ensure I was visible on the road, find the torch and generally begin to get into autumn mode, but it was quite warm, so didnt need my coat on. I was greeted very nicely by the group and enjoyed playing a game I had done before, but it was quite hard to remember three different areas at once. However it got the brain going and took my mind off plans for action. Got home in time to flop down and watch the repeat on an early Downton Abbey. Just the thing to calm down ready for bed and the great Maggie Smith presenting the dowager duchess at her most superior. I am adding some imperious tones and looks to my next planned visit to the council offices.
So , here I am folks, just about ready to cautiously get into the shower if my leg doesnt cramp up again, then need to clear the kitchen and wash up etc so that I will be ready for an early trip down to the market. I am planning to take my oven gloves with me , or rather one of those with the two handpockets and the material in between them. I want a longer one and just looking doesnt work, so having the old one with me will allow me to clearly see if something is longer as I want. Ah I am Miss Organised today, and fingers crossed will find something I need.
It is whist night tonight, and I am pleased to feel better than the last couple of weeks, and will enjoy meeting everyone, and will take the opportunity of gathering more people to my "sort the disabled access" group. Their are several who need to use mobility things, so hope they can give me more ideas of problem areas. This time of year used to be a time or organising the school year and my new class. I am now transferring that effort to sorting out things for the disabled, before it gets too dark in the afternoons etc.
Well there is much that needs sorting here too, and I wouldnt want anyone arriving just now to see my piles of ironing and correspondence waiting to be dealt with! I need to use this rare readiness to sort things out to best advantage! More to come later.
Well at last it has lightened enough to see the outline of the tree against the grey sky, no movement in the branches so far, and no sign of the squirrel, but dont know if I just cant see him yet or if he is still snoozing. Hope you have a good trip into Bicester Mike and meet some friends.nanna8 good to meet you and hope you enjoy joining us.
I hope that today is a good day of plans succeeding for all GN's whether it is for the much anticipated meet up with friends or the grand tidying up of a child free room, that will actually stay tidy when you have finished it! Enjoy it all while you can