LemonJam
Nothing wrong with the leaflet- consent is something to also promote and emphasise in uk make population to cut down on misogyny and crimes against women.
I agree 
Why don’t people just admit that they do discriminate?
Really, I’m not racist, BUT……
I’m not homophobic, BUT …….
The BUT almost always means you are are what you are at pains to state you’re not.
There simply is no “but”.
In terms of Asylum Seekers, yet again I see, now it’s about housing.
Let’s be very clear, once “processed” and given both leave to remain and right to work, no Asylum Seeker magically jumps to the top of any social housing list.
Once given both leave to remain and right to work AS are granted exactly the same rights as anyone else living here, no more, no less.
They can apply for social housing, and be given the right to bid. Just like anyone else living here.
I see quite a lot about veterans and rough sleeping on here too.
Veterans, on the whole, have many charities dedicated just to them, this is how it should be. They also have dedicated provision paid for by government. There is a lot of help here in our country for veterans. However, they have to apply, they have to ask to access it, just like anyone else.
Rough sleeping is a really tough one to resolve, for so many reasons.
Firstly, there’s a large percentage of rough sleepers who have addictions, usually drugs and/or alcohol, and this can make them volatile and difficult to both handle and to find them acceptable accommodation.
We desparately need far more residential rehabs for these people. They simply cannot be housed whilst addicted.
Andy Burnham did a pretty good job in Manchester, but he’ll soon find out that it’s a different kettle of fish trying to resolve this countrywide.
He could start by addressing those houses in every county, up and down Britain, currently left empty 100% of the time.
We have so many issues he needs to address and it’s going to take time and shedloads of money to resolve these issues.
Whether you’re prepared to admit it or not, if the small boats suddenly stopped overnight and we deported all the remaining waiting to be processed, very little would actually change overnight, or even in the foreseeable future.
Austerity and massive cuts in services for 14 years have helped lead us to this place, coupled with Brexit and Covid. We have massive staff shortages in so many crucial areas.
We need to address the issues these things caused and are continuing to cause.
When you then add in things like hotter and hotter weather and unpredictable weather events worldwide, we will the see the effects of these in droughts and food production.
This is not the time to keep on blaming anyone “different” to ourselves for our own country’s and worldwide problems.
Now is time to unite and realise only by working together and supporting each other, along with possible rises in income tax, can we fund and get through all the things affecting this country and others.
I’m sure some of will have a, but……
That’s entirely your prerogative.
My post, is entirely mine! (IMHO)
Enjoy your day and have a peaceful weekend 
LemonJam
Nothing wrong with the leaflet- consent is something to also promote and emphasise in uk make population to cut down on misogyny and crimes against women.
I agree 
LemonJam
Doodledog
There is a difference between saying 'I'm not racist, but I don't want people with brown skin living next door' and 'I'm not transphobic but I don't want men in women's spaces'.
The former is a clear contradiction - only a racist would care about their neighbour's skin colour. The latter means that the speaker is not afraid of transpeople or wants to discriminate against them, but is afraid of (or otherwise objects to) men using women's changing rooms or whatever - transgender or not. Those things are perfectly compatible.Exactly- I agree Doodledog.
Just checking - my post assumes that 'men' refers to biological males, however they identify. Do you still agree?
I’m glad the government is handing out these booklets to all migrants arriving here, then they can’t say they didn’t know our laws when they offend with girls and women.
They can say what they like - ignorance of the law is not a defence.
But it’s what some have tried for, hoping for leniency.
And it may genuinely surprise some migrants that women on their own aren’t considered fair game.
Thank you cossy for your heartfelt O/P.
Hmmmm, how about handing these leaflets out to our many homegrown domestic abusers of women and children, hey? Or even mentioning its extremely needful? Or those abusing in religious or other institutional situations
"I've got a little list"....(ref G and S)
Then they can't pretend they can’t say they didn’t know our laws when they offend with girls and women"
If they’re British Wyllow3 then they wouldn’t even need to try the didn’t know stuff would they?
Oreo
I’m glad the government is handing out these booklets to all migrants arriving here, then they can’t say they didn’t know our laws when they offend with girls and women.
True Oreo!
Yes I certainly agree with that. I just think we have enough problems in this country with cost of living, Poor MH, cut backs in MH, homelessness, drugs, etc.
MT62
Yes I certainly agree with that. I just think we have enough problems in this country with cost of living, Poor MH, cut backs in MH, homelessness, drugs, etc.
Cossy
Cossy
I’ve perused this info and frankly it’s a pity it’s not given to ALL men living in this country!
I might be saying this a little tongue in cheek, but if you read through it all, it’s not a bad thing for all men (& some women) to live by!
It should be given out in schools to all pupils maybe.
Just to be clear, I was not getting at Cossy or what she said. I was actually thinking of a particular person I know who is always talking about out doing the right thing etc and always quick to pick up peoples’ faults and thinks she is perfect.
Oreo
But it’s what some have tried for, hoping for leniency.
Maybe, but it won't wash, which is my point.
Suggesting that telling people about laws will stop them breaking them would be considered ludicrous in other contexts. Immigrants aren't going to get away with rape or assault by pretending they think they are permissible.
I do agree that everyone should be taught about laws, rights and the political system though. It is frightening how few people seem to understand basic concepts, whether they are immigrants or not.
I also think that people should have a time period after coming here (five years?) after which they have to show that they can speak English and maybe take a citizenship test of some sort. Not because I think they will get away with crime if they don't, but because it might help to make a more cohesive society. It would be good if more British people did the same, although I don't suppose that could be made in any way compulsory.
People are happy to be seen supporting Ms. Thunburg at a concert featuring a group who had a screen up declaring "fu*k Israel", though.
Not sure how that pans out, and apologies if I've not spelled her name right.
I also think that people should have a time period after coming here (five years?) after which they have to show that they can speak English and maybe take a citizenship test of some sort.
Yes. Even if the citizenship test was something they could revise and repeat parrot fashion it would mean they were aware of what was required e.g. the rules on these leaflets.
MT62
Not all will be bad people, but if the government feels the need to hand out pamphlets to these people, on how it is wrong to have sex with underage people- clearly I find it a little disturbing to say the least.
In some cultures it is ok to marry girls as young as 10 years old, ((maybe they do need these pamphlets)
Clearly they will think it’s ok to do this in this country, (go with youngsters) & to Pester young females (I’ve seen it in Manchester).
It has nothing to do with skin colour.
The reason behind the distribution of these leaflets is a legal one.
Several migrants who have committed rape claim they didnt know
Now the government can use these leaflets as evidence that you were told it’s illegal.
nanna8
Just to be clear, I was not getting at Cossy or what she said. I was actually thinking of a particular person I know who is always talking about out doing the right thing etc and always quick to pick up peoples’ faults and thinks she is perfect.
Plenty on here, I find nanna 8 who I like that.
Are like that nanna8
Says on that leaflet it (may affect their right to asylum 😳) only MAY!
Also should they not add the elderly to that leaflet?
Never the less Petra it’s still quite concerning!
To make any claim to the effect that an assailant didn't know they weren't allowed to rape as some sort of defense is a serious and devious manipulation. They didn't know dragging a teenager into bushes in park or raping a woman on a beach where three men are taking it in turns to violate her, whilst one of them is filming it all, against their pleading??? Of course they did! Given incidents of harassment, sexual assault and most serious of all rape have been all too frequent occurrences. Given other European countries have dealt with all of this in a more effective way. Why have new arrivals not been inculcated at the outset of their arriving on our shores as to what is expected behaviour wise and what sanctions would be imposed if they disregard such advice. I mean it's really too little too late for the women who have suffered such assaults.
I've read some threads over on MN pertaining to subjects of this nature where the anger is palpable, maybe more so because they're of a demographic who feels more affected by much of this, thinking "what if that were my daughter!" Whoever the victim is in the cases reported, they will be someone's daughter, granddaughter, sister etc.
At least Labour under Burnham has issued leaflets informing migrants of the law in the UK so they can no longer plead ignorance.
If any crime is committed they should be deported immediately.
Might they be dyslexic, though?
Might the pamplets be in the languages that the men will be familiar with is another thought?
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.