Gransnet forums

Chat

Words of wisdom

(34 Posts)
MawsRosie Tue 18-Aug-26 17:26:26

I recently came across these and I’d like to share them, a few at a time perhaps

grin Lately you’ve noticed people your age are so much older than you

grin It would be wonderful if we could put ourselves in the tumble dryer and come out wrinkle-free and three sizes smaller

grin Your people skills are fine, (it's your tolerance for idiots that needs work )

merlotgran Tue 18-Aug-26 17:29:16

I love the last one. 🤣

JamesandJon33 Tue 18-Aug-26 18:19:23

The last one is just perfect.

madeleine45 Tue 18-Aug-26 18:21:25

Did you notice how much more intelligent your parents became after you were an adult ?

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Tue 18-Aug-26 18:24:56

I like that one madeleine!
I must try to think of one or two. I may be some time …. 😁

fancythat Tue 18-Aug-26 18:49:55

I like the first one.

I am having more trouble than ever telling an older person's age.
I thought someone was an age a couple of years older than me. Then remembered my age, and added 10 years to hers grin

AGAA4 Tue 18-Aug-26 19:47:53

Your secrets are safe with your friends because they now can't remember them either.

Cossy Tue 18-Aug-26 20:17:07

Love all these very wise words grin

Fallingstar Tue 18-Aug-26 21:24:48

Never go to bed mad. Stay up and fight!

Magenta8 Tue 18-Aug-26 22:02:46

madeleine45

Did you notice how much more intelligent your parents became after you were an adult ?

I am afraid my experience was exactly the opposite.

MawsRosie Tue 18-Aug-26 22:20:55

You still haven’t learnt to act your age and hope you never will.

MT62 Wed 19-Aug-26 13:44:52

How true for first & last, but other people probably think that of us.
I certainly wish it were true for the second one 😂

Barbadosbelle Wed 19-Aug-26 14:09:46

Pagiarism !!! Madeleine45 ......

"When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much he'd learned in seven years."

# Mark Twain (1835-1910)
.

MawsRosie Wed 19-Aug-26 14:32:02

The biggest lie you can tell yourself,
" I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 19-Aug-26 14:48:34

Very true Maw! 🤣

knspol Wed 19-Aug-26 14:52:32

Spot on MawsRosie!

stewaris Wed 19-Aug-26 14:54:44

Maws Rosie totally agree. Age is a number not a definition. I currently have no intention of growing up although I do some things I have to stop and ask myself Why did you do that!

I meant boring grown up things.

Fallingstar Wed 19-Aug-26 15:00:25

MawsRosie

The biggest lie you can tell yourself,
" I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Yes yes yes.
Am guilty of this.

Milest0ne Wed 19-Aug-26 15:34:30

I like the Sanskrit poem , framed and hung on my wall

yesterday is but a memory
Tomorrow is only a vision
But today well lived
Makes every yesterday a memory of happiness
And every tomorrow a vision of hope
Look well therefore to this day

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:50:23

Mine has got to be:

When someone shows you who they are believe them the first time.
Maya Angelou

ViceVersa Wed 19-Aug-26 15:51:48

Mine is 'This too, shall pass'.

JamesandJon33 Wed 19-Aug-26 16:05:17

So true ViceVersa

MawsRosie Wed 19-Aug-26 16:23:42

ViceVersa

Mine is 'This too, shall pass'.

If you’ll pardon my French - this made me chuckle (advertised on line)

ViceVersa Wed 19-Aug-26 17:10:29

MawsRosie

ViceVersa

Mine is 'This too, shall pass'.

If you’ll pardon my French - this made me chuckle (advertised on line)

Oh yes, I am sure I have shared that sentiment many a time! grin

tattygran14 Wed 19-Aug-26 17:32:26

I like ‘ sudden prayers make God jump’