Gransnet forums

Chat

Employing a cleaner - and difficulties thereof

(61 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Aug-26 06:20:18

Years ago, when working, I employed a weekly cleaner. Every week (illness, holidays etc excepted) she’d turn up and potter through the house. She was reliable, thorough and friendly.

I retired and decided that housework would become part of my weekly routine largely to ensure that I kept moving etc. 20 years later, at 80 I have not been feeling well, and sm certainly getting more tired, so have decided to employ a cleaner once again.

I wish!

The first week contacted a nationwide company, headquartered in Cardiff. Contract signed direct debit set up and cleaner to arrive at 10am every Monday. Monday arrived. I waited and waited. I contacted the company (after ages ringing) I was advised that Jessie appears to have disappeared. So they would contact me again, and was Friday OK. No I said - we are out, so the following Monday was agreed upon snd they would let me know the name of the new person.
I waited and waited and finally contacted them on Saturday to see what was happening. Oh not to worry they said someone will definitely be turning up.
I waited and waited ……….
I cancelled contract and DD.

I decided to try a more local company.
Cleaner arranged for Monday at 10.
I waited and waited, then phoned my contact. She got back to me to say that the cleaner had been delayed but would be with me within the hour.
I waited and waited - then a text, be with you soon.

She arrived! And clattered and clumsied her way through the house. I have never heard anyone drop so much. But she finished snd was pleased to have a clean house.
The following week was arranged. Two days later did I mind changing the time snd day - OK I said.

The new day and time arrived.

I waited and waited. I phoned her. “Oh she was baby sitting her grandchild and would I mind leaving it until 5 that afternoon”
OK I said. I worked around her preparing dinner.

She left saying she would contact me about the following week.

I gave up.

I then went back to a London based company, who’d had lots of recommendations from various publications.

Time 10am, day Monday.

I waited and waited - but this time contacted the company after 15 minutes. I then had an email from the cleaner saying his partner was definitely on her way. 2 hours later she arrived, very hot and bothered. Asked if she would mind if she pkease could changed - if course I said assuming into some overall affair, and showed her into the living room. After a minute I went to the front door - postman - and glanced - we have a large mirror over the fire and she was naked from head to waist!! I didn’t look closer. She had meant an entire change of clothing.
She worked well snd thoroughly.
But, bloody hell! She then said as she was preparing to leave. Can I leave you my number snd you phone me - not the company -

Well, I can see all sorts of reasons why I should or shouldn’t , but on balance I think no, and now I have that to deal with.

Who employs a cleaner with zero issues and how on earth did you manage it!!?.

Doodledog Tue 18-Aug-26 12:53:13

Mine is lovely. She is the daughter of the woman who used to clean for me years ago. She is reliable, but I try to be flexible if necessary, so if she has a child-related thing to do she can come later etc - usually it makes little difference to me, so long as I know in advance. In between mother and daughter I had some frustrating ones - one used to stop work to chat for ages, another turned up when she felt like it, and there was one who spent two hours scrubbing a small area of tiles in the kitchen, and after a while said she couldn't bend or stretch.

I was very pleased when the current one said she was starting her business, and we've never looked back. When her children leave school in a couple of years I think she'll find a full-time job somewhere, and we'll be back to square one, though. I think people often forget that whilst an hourly rate may seem higher than equivalents, it has to cover tax, transport, gaps between jobs and so on, and a lot of clients won't pay sick pay or holidays. Many cleaners are willing to trade that for a bit of flexibility when their children are young, but it's more profitable to get a proper salary later on.

JenniferEccles Tue 18-Aug-26 13:07:45

Heavens WW2 ! What a saga.
I bet you are nearly on the point of giving up!
Very disheartening for you.

I really like the suggestion of a trial period for whoever you eventually choose. After all, the person is in your home when you will probably be there too, trying to keep out of her way so you need to feel completely comfortable with her.

I hope you post an update when you have had some success!

watermeadow Tue 18-Aug-26 13:30:04

When I was ill and needed help with housework I asked a neighbour who had said she’d done cleaning. She was friendly and helped others with odd jobs and agreed to come and do what I needed.
Because I had asked her, and she had not applied for the job, I paid her way over the average. She is a delight, loves my dog, does any extras required, punctual, thorough, reliable.
If you ask around you might hear of someone else’s treasure who would work for you.

crazyH Tue 18-Aug-26 13:38:51

Agree with watermeadow - ask around the neighbourhood. Go by recommendations.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Aug-26 14:43:34

I’ve had a lot of replies from next door. I’ll start trawling through them later. Some are easy to dismiss, as too far away. Given my experience so far I think I may dismiss companies, that will take the list down quite a bit.

Susie42 Tue 18-Aug-26 15:03:09

I use a local cleaning company after my original cleaner gave up. The cleaner I have now is not perfect but I trust her and she does some extra jobs without being asked.

Desdemona Tue 18-Aug-26 21:00:39

If a company is used presumably the cleaner is insured for damage to property etc, whereas someone off of Facebook who is paid cash isn't?

RosesandLilac Wed 19-Aug-26 04:56:06

Desdemona

If a company is used presumably the cleaner is insured for damage to property etc, whereas someone off of Facebook who is paid cash isn't?

My cleaner is fully insured, has DBS and I can pay her cash or through online banking.
I’m very lucky. She brings all her own cleaning materials and vacuum cleaner.

Plevey08 Wed 19-Aug-26 07:18:40

I've noticed that different companies, agencies and private cleaners have different interpretations on cleaning. Finding one for my housebound sister has been terrible.
What I've learnt is there is communal area cleaning, a whizz round with a vacuum, a bit of dusting, wiping kitchen counters etc. So it is sometimes best to get a professional company to blitz your home, thereafter using a local person or company once a week to maintain. Unless you're lucky enough to find someone to thoroughly clean, then maintain, they are not easily found.

Esmay Wed 19-Aug-26 12:52:34

How appalling ,but nothing surprises me anymore .
On one occasion ,I was told that according to an astrologer the day that we arranged for her to start wasn't auspicious !

friendlygingercat Wed 19-Aug-26 13:07:22

I have cleaner but he is a man - a gay friend of my nephew. Gay men are very good at cleaning and non judgemental. I pay him cash in hand. or via bank Same the gardener. Don't bother with agencies.

Tenko Wed 19-Aug-26 13:15:33

Your experiences don’t surprise me ww2 .
When I was working 4 days a week , we had a cleaner from a company, they’d work in twos but didn’t do a decent job . They’d clean around things like the dog bowl or the tea , coffee sugar container . Even when I mentioned it , the cleaning didn’t change .
Then I tried cleaners recommended by friends . One was very chatty and didn’t get it done in the two hours . One was unreliable, would cancel at short notice or just not turn up and another kept changing her days . I finally found a mother and daughter team who would iron as well . They were both excellent and friendly. Sadly the mother became ill and the daughter was caring for her.
I’ve been retired for 4 years now and do my own cleaning , luckily I’m fit and healthy. And our robot cleaner does a good job on the ground floor . He works daily and is reliable, except when he gets stuck under one of the sofas .

yogitree Wed 19-Aug-26 13:38:52

My cleaner is absolutely great (apart from the time she locked me out but we had a good laugh about that). She does everything low down and high up and all surfaces in-between, floors, vacuums actual furniture and does under it too, light switches, door edges and handles, lampshades, mirrors, frames, surfaces, bathroom and kitchen and leaves everything absolutely sparkling clean. I am in Scotland and got her through recommendations from the local Facebook page. She is so in demand, there is a waiting list. She gave me a breakdown of what she does, when she will do it, how long it will take and the cost, and it's always spot on. I am very lucky! Good luck to you too, I hope you find The One.

Gran22boys Wed 19-Aug-26 14:09:27

If you have a big floor space you could invest in a robot floor cleaner. My relative has one. It’s brilliant and can distinguish between hard floors and carpet. When it’s finished it parks itself back in its housing. No days off or phoning in sick. smile

Quizzer Wed 19-Aug-26 14:21:51

My last cleaner I had was not very thorough but was reliable, or so I thought. My grandson (14) came to stay and while I was at work the cleaner arrived 45 minutes late and left an hour early. So she only cleaned for 1 hour 15mins, in spite of being paid for 3 hours. She knew he was in the house so should have realised he might report her timings.
She was dismissed that week.

MT62 Wed 19-Aug-26 14:29:38

We were Very lucky, got my aunt a cleaner who goes the extra mile.
Takes her to hospital appointments, dentist, paid of course. She stops for a cup of tea so that’s a little extra company for my aunt.
Shes worth her weight in gold imo.
It’s not just cleaners though with excuses it seems to be all trades people I find with their BS excuses.

Plevey08 Wed 19-Aug-26 14:31:20

That was amusing Esmay. There can be many inauspicious astrological days. I'm surprised she made a living. It reminded me of my late DS, a bit of a bohemian, who astrologically was somewhat unreliable.

Colls Wed 19-Aug-26 14:48:51

It's a very familiar situation for me.
I have a very nice lady at the moment but it's taken me ages - two years - and going through agencies, individuals, one or two extremely judgemental, some almost con-people.
I think you just have to keep going and sieve through the chaff till you find a good one.
If the people feel you need help, they can, with good intentions, try to take over and give advice that you should do this or that ...
Keep going, good ones are out there.

sundowngirl Wed 19-Aug-26 14:49:00

Elrel

How many of us tidy up before the cleaner comes? In my case things end up in strange places and some times don’t re-emerge for weeks!

Exactly the same for us. 😀 I wouldn’t expect my lovely cleaner to tidy up I just want to ‘clear the decks’ and make it easier for her.
I had our previous cleaner for over 10 years but sadly she moved to Scotland. I was recommended to our current cleaner on Nextdoor 2 years ago and we are more than pleased.

sundowngirl Wed 19-Aug-26 14:52:15

Gran22boys

If you have a big floor space you could invest in a robot floor cleaner. My relative has one. It’s brilliant and can distinguish between hard floors and carpet. When it’s finished it parks itself back in its housing. No days off or phoning in sick. smile

I’ve got a robot vacuum cleaner which is great and we can program to clean in the middle of the night.
Sadly he doesn’t dust or clean the bathroom 😟

Mjord70 Wed 19-Aug-26 14:58:10

I have seen people ask on local FB pages for cleaners, asking how to much to clean ..... No-one ever responds with a price, always just "I can help, message me". I don't know about other areas, but I am in the midlands, and the going rate seems to be from £20ph! For most of them that's cash in hand too - I have a degree and was never paid that sort of money!!! Sorry if I sound like a grinch

knspol Wed 19-Aug-26 15:02:15

I'm definitely going to need a cleaner soon or else have a TKR op. Really can't get down on hands and knees anymore to do certain necessary jobs properly.
My question is what do you do about security? Lockup valuables and paperwork etc. I also wonder how you explain or show cleaner how exactly you want things doing or do you just have to leave it to them.?

grannygran Wed 19-Aug-26 15:05:15

I'd never reply to agencies.

Lots of ladies, and I believe a few men set up a Facebook page and call it a business.
I've had a cleaner several years it's much better to employ a single person offering her services.

missdeke Wed 19-Aug-26 15:18:52

My first cleaner worked no hours contract with an industrial cleaning company so fitted me in in between. she was great but then she was offered full time work with them, so I lost her. Then I saw on our village Facebook page someone I knew had said she had a space to fit in another client, she too was perfect but let me know at the beginning of the year that she was moving to Wales so I thought I was back on the treadmill of finding someone else. I told my eldest daughter in passing that I was looking for someone else to clean for me and she suggested cleaning for me, yet again she's perfect, well she would be wouldn't she grin. So moral of the story, no large company cleaners where the cleaners actually don't get everything you pay them as it goes into business profits.

greyfur16 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:29:26

Gay men are very good at cleaning and non judgemental

Might get my son round here then. Sadly he is not the first and sometimes the second. Fancy that.