Gransnet forums

Health

Severe Health Anxiety

(7 Posts)
Citygirl1 Sat 10-Oct-26 23:11:33

Hi I hope someone can help put my mind at rest. I am 64, work full time, due to retire in two years, which I am not looking forward as I fear boredom. I am divorced and live alone.
My main issue is my extreme anxiety, at the moment is more health related. I have always been one to worry about the future, going over the what ifs and imagining the worse case scenario.
I am fit, I can do my job (office based but I am up and down from my desk all the time), I can walk quickly and everything like that. But for the past year I have been getting aches and pains. It started with a stiff neck a year ago. An Xray showed degenerative changes. I saw a physio and he assured me not to worry, gave me some exercises to do. From then on I developed general aches and clicking in my joints. The stiff neck eased and went away over the summer. Now it’s back again and my body is generally stiff and achy. Blood test results last year came back clear. I’ve just had blood tests done last week and they are clear. My GP thinks its anxiety. I have been taking Citralopram for the past three years (prior to that I was on Prozac), she’s now putting me on Duloxetine as she says this is for anxiety and depression but also eases body aches. I am in the process of weaning off Citralopram and introducing Duloxetine.
I will also add that my sleep pattern is erratic as I often go to bed late and then have to get up for work the next morning. My diet is poor because I can’t be bothered to cook for myself when I get home from work.
But the thing is that I am still not reassured. Clear blood tests, reassurance from the doctor isn’t cutting it for me anymore. I worry that I will become immobile and stuck in my flat. I live in an upstairs flat (two storeys) which I love and would never want to leave but I worry in case one day I can’t manage the stairs, even though my neighbour is 83 and manages. I worry that when I retire I won’t be able to go out and do the things that people assure me will be fun and keep me busy. All this anxiety is making my pain worse and it’s a constant viscious circle. Sorry for the long post but I fear I will have a breakdown if I don’t calm down. I have done CBT a few times and nothing seems to work.
I will say though that when I am at work and busy all day my aches do seem to ease. It’s mainly when I am at home they seem worse.

butterandjam Sat 10-Oct-26 23:42:58

Don't focus on the future for now. There are some easy effortless ways to help yourself right now.

I think good sleep and a good nutrition, are the basis of good physical and mental health. A good diet doesn't necessarily involve much cooking.

If you like bread eggs, milk, cheese, nuts salad and fruit, you can start a healthy diet with minimal cooking.

Try going to bed an hour earlier, with the window slightly open so you spend the whole night breathing fresh air.

Graphite Sun 11-Oct-26 00:00:32

You summed it up in the last sentence of your post. These things don’t bother you (or as much) when you are at work and busy.

Everybody gets aches and pains as they get older. That’s perfectly natural and can be countered by staying active, a mixture of walking, swimming, exercise classes, going to the gym. Of course, you don’t have to wait to retire to do that but once you do you will have more time to develop a routine and won’t be tired from work. You will also have more time to shop, cook and eat a better diet.

Retirement doesn't mean boredom. Why would you think it does? It just means you spend your time differently. There are plenty of volunteer opportunities and a wealth of clubs, groups and societies to join.

What do you like to do in your spare time now? If you don’t already, it sounds to me like you might benefit from engaging in a mix of gentle exercise and some hobbies you can do at home to distract you from your healthy worries. Getting lost in an arts or crafts project is great for mindfulness. Never too late to learn a new skill.

Ditto the advice butterandjam gives.

Chestnut Sun 11-Oct-26 00:54:54

Some good advice there. You have to start with the basics of healthy diet plus a good nights sleep and exercise. Ultimately those are the core building blocks for good health.

You'll need to find a way to retrain your brain during those quiet moments when it starts wandering. Believe me, I know what it's like, a physical sense of panic which washes over you. It only seems to disappear once you focus on something else (like when you're at work). So I guess you'll just have to retrain your brain to think of something else, maybe a work related issue, plan your work day in your head or solve a work problem. Anything to keep your brain working.

If you're worrying about things that might happen, remind yourself of all the times you catastrophised about something and it turned out fine! That's what I try and do. Also, just remember that someone has been looking after you all these years, I'm sure they won't give up on you now.

Chestnut Sun 11-Oct-26 01:06:38

Just to add, if you want to lose your mind completely then take up family history research. Once you get into that your mind will be constantly engaged. Go back just 5 generations and you have 32 direct ancestors and their families to research. You will become more and more engrossed in their lives, their homes, their children, their stories. Take up an Ancestry subscription and build a tree, it's all there. A wonderful distraction.

MayBee70 Sun 11-Oct-26 01:20:37

I absolutely hate cooking; can’t see the point of cooking a meal if I can just have a cheese sandwich. But I have improved my diet over the past year because of diet advice and recipes I find on instagram. I even enjoy food now, something I’ve never really done. I, too am a worrier, especially when it comes to my health and whatifery. But I find that if I concentrate on something like a change of diet I feel more in control. I know you work all day but have you thought of joining a gym? One of my favourite things in life is having a sauna at the gym; it’s also good for helping with aches and pains. And I know I keep banging on about it but I listen to Jason Stephenson on utube. His get back to sleep tapes stop my whatifery.

MG55 Sun 11-Oct-26 01:57:24

There is such a wealth of great knowledge here so please take on board each of their suggestions.
Look forward to enjoying your retirement. Relax (not easy), and try out different activities out of your comfort zone. 💐