Gransnet forums

Chat

Employing a cleaner - and difficulties thereof

(61 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 18-Aug-26 06:20:18

Years ago, when working, I employed a weekly cleaner. Every week (illness, holidays etc excepted) she’d turn up and potter through the house. She was reliable, thorough and friendly.

I retired and decided that housework would become part of my weekly routine largely to ensure that I kept moving etc. 20 years later, at 80 I have not been feeling well, and sm certainly getting more tired, so have decided to employ a cleaner once again.

I wish!

The first week contacted a nationwide company, headquartered in Cardiff. Contract signed direct debit set up and cleaner to arrive at 10am every Monday. Monday arrived. I waited and waited. I contacted the company (after ages ringing) I was advised that Jessie appears to have disappeared. So they would contact me again, and was Friday OK. No I said - we are out, so the following Monday was agreed upon snd they would let me know the name of the new person.
I waited and waited and finally contacted them on Saturday to see what was happening. Oh not to worry they said someone will definitely be turning up.
I waited and waited ……….
I cancelled contract and DD.

I decided to try a more local company.
Cleaner arranged for Monday at 10.
I waited and waited, then phoned my contact. She got back to me to say that the cleaner had been delayed but would be with me within the hour.
I waited and waited - then a text, be with you soon.

She arrived! And clattered and clumsied her way through the house. I have never heard anyone drop so much. But she finished snd was pleased to have a clean house.
The following week was arranged. Two days later did I mind changing the time snd day - OK I said.

The new day and time arrived.

I waited and waited. I phoned her. “Oh she was baby sitting her grandchild and would I mind leaving it until 5 that afternoon”
OK I said. I worked around her preparing dinner.

She left saying she would contact me about the following week.

I gave up.

I then went back to a London based company, who’d had lots of recommendations from various publications.

Time 10am, day Monday.

I waited and waited - but this time contacted the company after 15 minutes. I then had an email from the cleaner saying his partner was definitely on her way. 2 hours later she arrived, very hot and bothered. Asked if she would mind if she pkease could changed - if course I said assuming into some overall affair, and showed her into the living room. After a minute I went to the front door - postman - and glanced - we have a large mirror over the fire and she was naked from head to waist!! I didn’t look closer. She had meant an entire change of clothing.
She worked well snd thoroughly.
But, bloody hell! She then said as she was preparing to leave. Can I leave you my number snd you phone me - not the company -

Well, I can see all sorts of reasons why I should or shouldn’t , but on balance I think no, and now I have that to deal with.

Who employs a cleaner with zero issues and how on earth did you manage it!!?.

fluttERBY123 Wed 19-Aug-26 15:36:18

Ask around local whatsapp groups, neighbours for recommendations, be flexible about days, times and timekeeping. Lean over backwards, pay double on Christmas Eve. Give them first refusal if getting rid of stuff.

singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 15:37:57

We have a ‘team’ who come every week - 3 lovely women. Used to be 4 but one ‘retired’. They come for 40 minutes which amounts to two hours and charge £38, They are so reliable and efficient and don’t waste any time chatting or need cups of tea. I always clear clutter before they come - it’s a good routine to have.

Ranworth1 Wed 19-Aug-26 16:01:23

Several members of my family use an excellent cleaning company near Norwich.

Toddleo Wed 19-Aug-26 17:21:04

Try Age UK many of them offer a "Help in the home scheme"

notgoneyet Wed 19-Aug-26 19:14:46

Our local AgeUK offers a help service, amongst which is cleaning. The price - £28 per hour, minimum £42 for 1.5 hours!

ninamoore Wed 19-Aug-26 19:55:01

Alway use personal recommendation:

Usedtobeblonde Wed 19-Aug-26 22:16:08

I tried Age UK for some DIY jobs, £35 per hour, this was about 3 yesrs ago and the man who turned up said the jobs couldn’t be done.
Stud wall , mirror too heavy, second rail on the stairs not possible.
Got a handyman from a personal recommendation and he did them with absolutely no,problem.
I have heard similar stories.
May just be in our area.

Kartush Thu 20-Aug-26 00:01:53

I have an amazing cleaner called Ally, she is friendly, efficient and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg, she comes every other Wednesday and apart from if she is ill never lets me down. She has her own key so if we are out she lets herself in. My daughter arranged for her to come to me as she also cleans my daughters house.

Sweetsnbooksnradio4 Fri 21-Aug-26 00:30:18

Years ago I had cleaners from an agency - not a happy memory- expensive and the people just wanted to do the minimum and be gone- probably the pay wasn’t good.
Our cleaner cleans for other family members and is good and we know her well now - however she’s trained to do nails- so I wonder if she’ll move over to that!
I agree with the people advising to look on next door group for recommendations.

silverlining48 Fri 21-Aug-26 17:19:53

I did not want to use an agency as they took more than they paid the cleaner, little incentive to put heart snd soul into it.