Gransnet forums

Chat

Small things that make you feel happy

(79 Posts)
nanna8 Tue 18-Aug-26 02:25:31

Not talking about major issues or personal things here but today I got a new cover for my iPad , brightly coloured butterflies. Cost almost nothing ($8) - about 4£. Free postage. The other one had fallen apart. Very cheery. Also, I found an earring I thought I had lost months ago - it was one of a pair I won on board a cruise ship. Daft things but very nice.
Tell us about the little things that made you happy recently ?

Scribbles Wed 19-Aug-26 19:50:14

A truly little thing: i found the contact lens that I thought was gone!

Oldnproud Wed 19-Aug-26 21:13:41

Seeing a group of young starlings this afternoon splashing about in the tray of water that I recently put out in my garden to help the local birds through the hot, dry weather.

paddyann54 Wed 19-Aug-26 21:25:24

My two youngest gd,s going home with a large jar full of nasturtium leaves and caterpillars…they were so exited you,d think I,d handed them the moon.
The six year old loves all kinds of bugs and knows more about them than me so I was stumped when she wanted to know what colour the butterflies would be ,thankfully a white butterfly flew past her as they were going home and she decided it was the mother of the eggs that made the caterpillars….coming to say goodbye.
They brighten my days and always make me smile .

Wyllow3 Wed 19-Aug-26 21:29:42

so many things to agree with..

rain
not setting the alarm
cuddles when I can get them
Radio 3 unwind and music
my lovely cleaner coming then leaving me all sorted and clean.
sun dappled through trees and the peace when its in your heart.

(ps East Coast from Brid to Brunswick Bay my happy places too)

Teri4506 Wed 19-Aug-26 22:48:23

When a stranger smiles at me with genuine warmth.

MayBee70 Wed 19-Aug-26 22:55:41

On leaving the doctors today a woman in the street said ‘getting hot again isn’t it’. We ended up chatting for half an hour and she said, you’ve really cheered me up and I agreed. I just love chatting to strangers; dog walking, sat on a bus etc.

Poppyjo Thu 20-Aug-26 01:50:15

Spring flowers in the woods
Smell of cut grass
Stroking my cats
Many others

nexus63 Thu 20-Aug-26 02:39:52

i love youtube and often watch young americans reacting to songs that i bought as 45s (singles) back in the 70/80s, it makes me smile to see the shock when they listen to the bee gees, elo or leo sayer and then saying how brilliant the music was back then.

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 05:21:43

Thank you for this thread.

Clean sheets... which leads me on to thinking of the smell of fresh linen which has been dried outside

Amazing petrichor smell... makes me feel happy and connected.

deaneke Thu 20-Aug-26 07:37:03

It’s uplifting to read all of these. A lovely way to start the day. 🙏🙏 I identify with many of them.

welshgirl2017 Thu 20-Aug-26 09:51:42

Oreo

Finding a dark chocolate Bounty Bar in a shop😋

Oh yes........I would pay good money to find one!

Dodo43 Thu 20-Aug-26 13:55:47

I love finding seedlings of plants that have appeared unexpectedly in my garden. A gift from Nature.

Also freshly laundered and pressed cotton bedding.

The song of the blackbird.

Remembering some of the adorable things one of my grandsons did when he was a little boy, eg. sending me a little letter with 3 five pence coins stuck on with tape, and the words "Dear Granny, I am sending you some pocket money". And another time , on a trip to the seaside, on a bleak day, he found a stick and drew a huge heart in the sand. In the heart he wrote 'I love you Granny. He was only about 5 at the time. He's half way through medical school now.
Such lovely things to treasure.
And I agree, a lovely thread to start.

Truffle43 Thu 20-Aug-26 14:19:47

Hearing the rain last night and knowing the garden will be watered .

Truffle43 Thu 20-Aug-26 14:21:12

Nanna 8
Thank you for starting this chat. It makes a lovely welcome change.

sodapop Thu 20-Aug-26 15:33:36

Getting a video of my great-grandson in America doing something amazing, first words, first Lego building, being covered in sticky goo after eating plums. Lovely.

mrsmeldrew Thu 20-Aug-26 18:57:49

Hearing my DH singing a song as he does a task. Nice he is happy not like his moody wife!

Sweetsnbooksnradio4 Fri 21-Aug-26 00:46:44

Wow - I was excited that we had about 7 inches in ours!

Mollygo Fri 21-Aug-26 10:37:35

Strange.
My neighbour has a rain gauge which said 7 hours of torrential rain was only 3 inches. Our DGC paddling pool went from empty to almost a meniscus.

LadyGracie Fri 21-Aug-26 12:31:11

Molly my cat

Oreo Fri 21-Aug-26 12:37:40

Campaspe

Hi Oreo. Can I ask where you found this? I believe that dark chocolate Bountys have been discontinued, but I'd love to buy some of they are in stock anywhere.

My Home Bargains store, it’s never a regular thing unfortunately but now and then they appear.

Oreo Fri 21-Aug-26 12:39:07

Dodo43

I love finding seedlings of plants that have appeared unexpectedly in my garden. A gift from Nature.

Also freshly laundered and pressed cotton bedding.

The song of the blackbird.

Remembering some of the adorable things one of my grandsons did when he was a little boy, eg. sending me a little letter with 3 five pence coins stuck on with tape, and the words "Dear Granny, I am sending you some pocket money". And another time , on a trip to the seaside, on a bleak day, he found a stick and drew a huge heart in the sand. In the heart he wrote 'I love you Granny. He was only about 5 at the time. He's half way through medical school now.
Such lovely things to treasure.
And I agree, a lovely thread to start.

How lovely, happy memories 🥰

Witzend Fri 21-Aug-26 12:50:37

Proper rain yesterday! Absolutely peeing down for quite a while. Hallelujah!

NotSpaghetti Fri 21-Aug-26 13:16:33

Has anyone tried these:

DollyRocker Fri 21-Aug-26 13:47:14

A glut of home grown tomatoes, a robin bathing in a dish of water I left outside, my yucca plant that got broken, sprouting roots in water.

nanna8 Fri 21-Aug-26 13:50:36

Nasturtiums that have appeared under a large blue fir tree. I planted seeds about a year ago from another plant in the back and had thought they wouldn’t take. We have had a bit of rain lately which must have brought them on.