Gransnet forums

Chat

Ah dear - why does getting older equate to diminished brain power?

(68 Posts)
ferry23 Wed 12-Aug-26 09:58:32

This is something of a letting off steam, cathartic exercise so please indulge me GNetters.

Some of you will know I had an accident about 20 months ago resulting in a wound to my leg which became ulcerated, led to lymphoedema and refuses to heal 100%. The road to recovery has been fraught. I'm going to have to wear some kind of compression garment for the rest of my life and I absolutely hate compression. It's like having a medieval instrument of torture on your leg 24/7.

I've been unable to drive for much of the last 20 months and as I'd only just moved here when I had the accident, I didn't have the chance to cultivate new friendships or fully explore any social activities.

As a result I'm feeling quite isolated and a little despondent. Most weeks I only see my wound nurse and the Sainsbury's delivery man and my cleaning lady comes once a fortnight.

My (lovely) wound nurse picked up on my low mood and spoke to my (lovely) GP. GP contacted me by phone very quickly and has arranged for me to have cognitive behaviour therapy to see if it helps with my loathing and dread of compression. She sent me details of various mental health agencies - but I don't think I need to go down that route . She also referred to me the Social Prescriber.

I know Social Prescribers are a sort of signposting "one stop shop" but that's about all I know. So yesterday the Social Prescrber phoned me.

Now I have a Bachelors Degree and a Master's Degree. I worked extensively throughout Europe and North America, with stints within the European Parliament. I worked with very high profile political figures and a smattering of well known household names. Whilst I'm no Einstein, I like to think that I come over as reasonably well educated and articulate with a brain that can still hold it's head high!

Lucy, the Social Prescriber, sounded about 12 years old. I tried to explain a bit about my situation and a bit about myself as she requested. I told her that before the accident I had gone to a couple of talks put on by the local Arts Society and was interested in some of the visiting speakers they have who cover a wide range of arts. I'm keen on local history and I also used to do a few pub quizzes with friends. Used to cook a lot and love to try out new cuisines and visit new restaurants.

Lucy's suggestions were -

1. There's a painting class at the local Age Concern as I like art.

2. She knows a lady who for £20 an hour + petrol costs will take me to the seafront for an ice cream.

At this point I'm not sure how I didn't blurt out "I'm not *** 5 years old!!!".

I suppose many of today's older generation don't fit a young person's perception of how an older person should behave. They forget we were the originators of the sex, drugs and rock 'n roll society. (I don't mean that in a literal sense, but many of us were children of the 60's when life changed for young people). They forget we wore skirts up to our armpits and had Fathers who told us we weren't going out like that and that the Rolling Stones should be put in the army.

Thanks Lucy, but no thanks.

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 23:16:02

I know what you mean Ferry23 but if anyone young patronises me I try to remember I was their age once and most of us when young didn’t really see how different older people are in their needs or expectations.
Am with you on the compression as I can’t bear having hypertension checks😬

Oreo Sat 15-Aug-26 23:11:52

Luckygirl3

Lathyrus3

Yes well, you’re almost certainly in the too 5% of the country’s try intelligence wise, so I expect she doesn’t come across many like you😬

I’m a bit confined in activity these days so I quite like to research things I know very little about.

In Kindle unlimited yesterday there was a book where the author has walked the route taken by the coffin of Eleanor of Castile - wife of Edward 1- . It’s historical but also about the authors experiences at each stopping place and the crosses erected there.

I’m really enjoying it so far and getting to Geddington or Charing Cross to see one is a little target I’ve set myself.

I know it doesn’t solve the social problem 🙂

Eleanor of Aquitaine lived in a castle near here and there is a landmark known as Eleanor's Chimney.

That’s a different Eleanor

ferry23 Sat 15-Aug-26 23:08:17

Let me just recap. At the moment I'm rather housebound. When I'm able to get out I will be able to source things to do and places to go. I haven't asked anyone to find me something to do as I'm quite capable of doing so.

Of course there are lots of people who wear compression garments and have no problem with them. However there are lots of people who can't tolerate compression and this is a recognised medical fact. I have read a lot of research around this and discussed it with various clinicians. I'm afraid telling me that a person you know wears compression garments and doesn't have a problem with them is not going to miraculously make me like compression.

I appreciate people making sensible suggestions. What I don't appreciate is being treated like a complete dimwit with the likes and dislikes of a 3 year old.

JenniRen Sat 15-Aug-26 22:43:05

I did join a painting group when I retired through ill-health and the expertise varied from novices to those who had taught and sold their paintings. It was a very jolly group.

JenniRen Sat 15-Aug-26 22:40:39

"I'm not sure I needed a Social Prescriber to suggest I could pay someone to take me to the seaside for an ice cream."

Out to lunch with a friend yesterday who now has to use a wheelchair. She described to me the "Does she take sugar?" scenarios she is now encountering sometimes when her husband takes her anywhere, as if now, having to use a wheelchair has rendered her dim witted.

I did go to a couple of NWR meetings with a friend but they met in each others' houses and it seemed quite hard work and rather competitive.

If you could find lifts or ways to get to U3A meetings, they have a variety of meetings covering a wide range of activities.

I've never heard of a social prescriber as there isn't one at our surgery, perhaps that's just as well! Ice creams by the seaside do sound lovely, though. 🍦

Ps if you want sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll, sorry, my memory's not what it was. What are they?

GrandmaT2010 Sat 15-Aug-26 15:42:00

Ferry23. Perhaps you would have a lot to offer the painting group as you are interested in art. Do you regard the participants as having the abilities of three year olds? You may not be interested but you may find that it’s a nice social group to participate in. You may find a friend or an acquaintance whom you could meet for coffee at a later date. How will you ever know if you are not willing to make the first move.

Realky Sat 15-Aug-26 11:33:00

Also my husband has had lymphoedema for a long time, at least 20 years, and has had to wear the compression sock. He did a 10 mile walk last week. It's become part of his daily life. He has had septicemia twice, when he had to go to A and E. Make sure you drink lots of water. It always happens in hot weather.

Realky Sat 15-Aug-26 11:24:58

I'm happy to be treated as old sometimes, in a recent journey when trains were delayed and I wasn't feeling well, I asked for a seat, a young couple moved their luggage, and made space for me. As regards the suggestions, the words grace and gratitude are forgotten too much by old people. Behave with grace and gratitude when someone makes an effort for you. If you are that well educated, for God,'s sake find things to do. I love the seaside, I love living here and the sea air is magical and it's cooler here. And frankly these art classes are run my volunteers, may be you can contribute something.

ferry23 Fri 14-Aug-26 17:00:40

Thank you SunnySusie - some good suggestions.

I've come to the conclusion that if you said that on your final descent on Mt. Everest, with your Sherpa hardly visible in the driving snow, you lost your footing and cut your foot. But you managed to dress it yourself with your basic first aid supplies. Made it down to base camp. Did a stop over on the flight home to trek to Machu Picchu and then swum the channel instead of taking the ferry. Someone would say "Aw bless you" and tell you to be careful not to trip over your laptop charger.

SunnySusie Fri 14-Aug-26 16:30:40

I can really understand your post ferry23 having helped my next door neighbour, a very intelligent and clued up lady. She was descending the stairs backwards (worried about falling) and slipped, skinning both legs from the knee down. The wounds were superficial, but they just did not heal and she was trussed up in dreadful dressings, bandages and elasticated compression. She was so bothered by this it dominated her life. We managed to find a pain management course offered on line with a support network element and that helped. I just looked it up and it doesnt seem to operate any more, but there are other options out there. We got her signed up for the Library From Home service and she really looked forward to her delivery once a month because the volunteer spent an afternoon with her talking about books. She also accessed courses on line with Future Learn and via the local U3A which has Zoom for some classes. Your encounter with Lucy reminded me of my husbands experience when he smashed his kneecap playing a handball game. He is in his 70s but still working more or less full time, cycles everywhere and plays sport, but he had an NHS phone call where he was advised to remove all the rugs from the house to prevent him having another Fall. He was apopletic and had to rapidly end the call before he said something inappropriate.

fancythat Fri 14-Aug-26 08:25:14

Not surprised that makes you a little angry.

MaggsMcG Fri 14-Aug-26 07:05:35

Ive found over the last few months that my family change their perception of my abilities and age related things when it suits their needs! It annoying. When they dont need anything I'm considered older and less capable but when they need me for anything they conveniently see me as the capable Mother figure again. In actual fact I'm probably both at times. Its not a problem most of the time but it can sometimes make me a little angry.

Sadgrandma Thu 13-Aug-26 19:37:45

JennyCee
here we are again. What is N.W.R?? I would like to know as I’m partially housebound

It is the National Women’s’ Register
an organisation for like minded women to meet up and discuss topics other than anything domestic. The one I used to belong to often had invited speakers too. Usually they meet in each others homes but looking at their website, they now also have on-line meetings
nwr.org.uk

JennyCee Thu 13-Aug-26 19:15:25

apologies to Sue Donim. I discovered them at my third attempt on Google. probably me, but I will look at them myself. Thankyou for tip

Gwyllt Thu 13-Aug-26 19:14:26

For one reason or another I spent about a year as a wheelchair user. During that period people would look at me then talk to husband about me. My standard comment would refer to the radio four disability program. Does he take sugar The older gen took up on it and talked to me I also made my point with others

JennyCee Thu 13-Aug-26 19:08:30

here we are again. What is N.W.R?? I would like to know as I’m partially housebound

ferry23 Thu 13-Aug-26 18:32:56

AskAlice

Just a thought, but the Royal Volunteer Service provides transport services for social clubs, medical appointments, shopping etc. Would that be something that might help? Have a look online to see if it operates in your local area.

We don't have an RVS, but we supposedly have a volunteer drivers scheme that you pay £25 a year to access and then a small charge for every journey. However, they don't have enough drivers - I've been trying to join since March but they're not accepting anyone right now.

AskAlice Thu 13-Aug-26 18:17:05

Just a thought, but the Royal Volunteer Service provides transport services for social clubs, medical appointments, shopping etc. Would that be something that might help? Have a look online to see if it operates in your local area.

ferry23 Thu 13-Aug-26 18:14:11

JenniferEccles

I was going to make a similar point to semperfidelis

Rather than concentrating on tactics to make the awful compression stockings more tolerable, have you explored every avenue to getting your wounded to heal properly?

You are a well educated woman who presumably has held down a number of professional jobs , so maybe you have the wherewithal to investigate the private sector, where you may well find consultants at the top of their game, one of whom could help you?

We all know that these days we have to be pro-active with managing our health, rather than just accepting what’s on offer.

Of course you may well have done all this.

Yes, I have

I also see a private lymphoedema nurse every six weeks or so and she is very proactive in new treatment regimes.

I have however been referred for a 2nd time to the vascular unit by my GP. The specialist nurses at the wound clinic and the private nurse are a bit bemused as to why as the wound is what they term as "superficial" and is healing, albeit at a snail's pace. The pressure readings in my leg are ok. I suspect my GP was at a bit of a loss as to what to do with me! I shall be taking the opportunity again, to explore any potential alternative treatments. I've checked and the Consultants at the NHS hospital vascular unit are those who practice at the two nearest private hospitals.

There are those, myself included, who find any form of compression virtually intolerable. It's honestly difficult to articulate and emphasise enough how much it affects my life. I am conscious of it pretty much 24/7 and can only sleep in bursts of maybe one and half to three hours at most. I'm sitting here right now in this oppressive heat with three layers of heavy bandaging interspersed with cotton wool wadding and a yellow line tubular over the top of it all. From toes to knee. It's like dragging a house brick around. It compacts around my ankle and digs into my skin. It aggravates the skin on my foot. It's tight and uncomfortable. I've spent a small fortune on shoes that will go over it, but of course the shoe for the other foot is 2 sizes too big. Because I have arthritis in my spine and my fingers I have to be sure I can reach any fixings on shoes. It's dangerous for me to drive with ill fitting footwear and sometimes it's difficult for me to flex my ankle.

I seem to spend a lot of time complaining and I hate it!

Sadgrandma Thu 13-Aug-26 17:58:16

ferry23 I’m sorry that you are feeling low at the moment and unable to get out. I know what that’s like. I also hate the feeling of being talked down to by some, well meaning, clinicians. Even my DGD thinks I’m an old duffer ( see my previous post) but she’s only eight so can be forgiven.
If you’re unable to get out I wonder if you might consider starting an interest group in your home, something like local history, or a book club or a discussion group where you discuss items in the news or other topics of interest. Of course you will need to find a way to make sure attendees are genuine. Perhaps contact the local WI or church group explaining that you are housebound at present. Does your town/village have an electronic message board where you could advertise it, or could your lovely nurse put a notice up for you in a local shop. You might be surprised by the interest you get.

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Aug-26 17:21:18

I was going to make a similar point to semperfidelis

Rather than concentrating on tactics to make the awful compression stockings more tolerable, have you explored every avenue to getting your wounded to heal properly?

You are a well educated woman who presumably has held down a number of professional jobs , so maybe you have the wherewithal to investigate the private sector, where you may well find consultants at the top of their game, one of whom could help you?

We all know that these days we have to be pro-active with managing our health, rather than just accepting what’s on offer.

Of course you may well have done all this.

Magenta8 Thu 13-Aug-26 17:04:46

I used to visit this lovely old man I knew in an old peoples' home for retired professionals. He was a retired GP and the other residents had all had responsible jobs. He told me he had intermittent nominal aphasia but most of time he was perfectly articulate. Some of the care assistants were awful and patronised and spoke down to the residents, one of them said "Standy up sunshine" to him when she was helping him out of a chair. The lady in charge organised activities for them which included making things with bits of cut out leather and painting by numbers. My friend had a CD player and he liked to listen to Bach and Handel but one of the carers decided this music was too dreary so she brought in a CD of songs from the shows and she used to remove whatever he had playing and play her CD.

You have my sympathy having to wear a compression garment, especially in this weather.

Aura399 Thu 13-Aug-26 17:03:11

Its when they refer to me as “lovely” or “dear “.

Barbs123 Thu 13-Aug-26 16:38:27

I so understand how you feel.WE are the sixties babes .
I have to keep reminding my daughter and it drives me potty.
I do hope you can overcome this situation you find yourself in

Barbs123 Thu 13-Aug-26 16:35:30

I so understand this.
I have to keep reminding my daughter and it drives me potty