Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(208 Posts)
fancythat Fri 07-Aug-26 11:16:17

Does anyone know where to get solar glasses that go over kids glasses?

Or am I over thinking?

twiglet77 Thu 06-Aug-26 19:20:00

I took the kids to Cornwall as the 1999 eclipse was on my middle one’s birthday. Too cloudy to see much but it did go very still and quiet on the hillside where all the campers gathered.

fancythat Thu 06-Aug-26 17:55:18

I remember the 1999 one surprisingly well, for someone who cant remember things that well.
I was underwhelmed. Sorry!

Not sure if I will muster up some more enthusiasm by next week.
But we shall have visitors. So who knows.

shysal Thu 06-Aug-26 14:14:33

I am prepared, bought some glasses for myself and a set of cardboard ones including 2 smartphone lenses for when the DDs and GCs remember at the last minute. Delivery times on Ebay are already for after August 12th unless you pay extra for next day from Amazon.
Having had clear skies for weeks, you can bet there will be cloud cover - Sod's Law!

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 11:18:47

I’m in the wrong country then Whitewave! 😁
However I’d read it’s still 90% eclipse in the UK? 🤷‍♀️

Grannybags Thu 06-Aug-26 10:27:51

Because of you I have just ordered the glasses!(although Royal Mail is so bad in my area I’ll be surprised if they arrive in time 🤬)

I remember the last one in 1999 when it went very quiet and quite dark

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:33:51

Partial in U.K.

Full in Spain😊

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?