Gransnet forums

Chat

The solar eclipse on Wednesday 12th August

(209 Posts)
FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 06-Aug-26 09:00:37

I’ve just bought some Celestron Solar Eclipse Glasses on line (cardboard frames) for myself and family for safe viewing. This eclipse will be as good as the one in 1999 - if cloud cover allows.

Do you plan to watch the event?

Oreo Thu 13-Aug-26 10:11:19

Lathyrus3

srn63

But it did happen, just because you didn't see it happen or see any changes doesn't mean it didn't happen. The sun was eclipsed.

Well yes it happened.

But there are between 2 and 5 solar eclipses every year.

A solar eclipse only hapoens where it happens because it is the phenomenon of the moon blocking out the sun from a certain viewpoint. It is a subjective xoerience.

If you are not in that place the solar eclipse doesn’t happen for you.

Like this one.

Exactly, it was very much a non event from where I saw it.

Farmor15 Thu 13-Aug-26 10:09:29

Here's another pic showing interesting crescent patterns

Wyllow3 Thu 13-Aug-26 09:45:26

These simple pictures have their own charm, I bet you are glad you took them. I cannot believe I forgot!

Cabowich Thu 13-Aug-26 09:37:09

Disappointing here in the North West, too. It went darker, but I could still hear the birds. The eclipse bit covered about 40% of the sun.

I wondered about this 'atmosphere' people talk about - would a blind person (who knew nothing about the eclipse happening) have felt this atmosphere?

Anyway, the most interesting encounter was the pattern it left on my kitchen door and a wall.

Lathyrus3 Thu 13-Aug-26 09:35:43

srn63

But it did happen, just because you didn't see it happen or see any changes doesn't mean it didn't happen. The sun was eclipsed.

Well yes it happened.

But there are between 2 and 5 solar eclipses every year.

A solar eclipse only hapoens where it happens because it is the phenomenon of the moon blocking out the sun from a certain viewpoint. It is a subjective xoerience.

If you are not in that place the solar eclipse doesn’t happen for you.

Like this one.

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Aug-26 09:21:01

Here the sun was behind the trees at the bottom of the garden so I knew we wouldn’t have been able to see anything even with the glasses, but I was certainly expecting it to become much darker than it did.

It was never going to be as impressive as the 1999 one, but I would have thought the 90 percent coverage would have made it darker.

Jaxjacky Thu 13-Aug-26 09:02:48

Thanks JackyB I see them.

JackyB Thu 13-Aug-26 08:39:01

If you look carefully you can just see the crescent shapes.

JackyB Thu 13-Aug-26 08:36:56

I was at choir practice but we took our break a little earlier and all went out to watch. I was one of only two who had thought to bring the special glasses! (Saved from the last eclipse in 1999)

In 1999 the eclipse was total here in Southern Germany and colleagues from the English branch of the company I worked for came over specially to see it unfortunately it was cloudy that day over the office. I was at home and had a perfect view. We lay on the lawn and watched. It went dark and silent. Unforgettable.

Last night we had 82% coverage and, yes, to the naked eye, it didn't go dark, and there was no visible change in the sun. At least not much, and some of that was due to the fact that the sun was going down anyway.

Through the glasses though, you could clearly see the crescent sun getting smaller and smaller. We passed the glasses round so everyone got a glimpse. That was enough as you don't really need to watch the whole passage across it. Towards the end, the sun disappeared behind the trees over to the West but it was certainly definitely worth seeing.

On the building behind us the sun cast a shadow of the fir tree beside us, decorated with lots of little half-"moons" like a Christmas tree. This was probably a version of the colander effect. I took a photo but it's not easy to see them in that.

Aveline Thu 13-Aug-26 08:18:16

I'm quite sure it happened. The media certainly made sure we knew about it.

srn63 Thu 13-Aug-26 08:09:49

But it did happen, just because you didn't see it happen or see any changes doesn't mean it didn't happen. The sun was eclipsed.

Mollygo Thu 13-Aug-26 08:08:54

Even if I’d not heard all the hype, I would’ve known something was going on because of all the cars lined up at the top of our hill to watch the event across the bay.
I have some pictures using my phone in the prescribed manner, but one gentleman came across the road and offered me a loan of his cardboard glasses which gave a much better image. The picture on the TV of the total eclipse viewed in Spain was amazing..

Sarnia Thu 13-Aug-26 07:52:30

Kandinsky

If it hadn’t been all over the news I wouldn’t have even know there was an eclipse - didn’t notice anything.
Where we were it went ever so slightly ( and I mean slightly ) dark for a few minutes and that was it.

Same here in East Surrey.

Greenfinch Thu 13-Aug-26 07:52:18

Good post BlueBelle.

loopyloo Thu 13-Aug-26 07:48:47

Here in East London, we were watching it but the sun was setting anyway behind the trees.
I raced along to the end of the road, found some neighbors trying to look through crisp packets!!??
I had made cereal viewers and that worked! I was almost more interested in how the light rays formed this image.
My DGD was with me and I pointed out to her that for the next eclipse, she would be 79.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-26 07:44:36

srn63

To all of you saying nothing happened, something did happen, there was a near total eclipse of the sun, a once in a generational happening, the last one most of us on here will see. Just because it didn't happen as you expected or just because you weren't properly prepared doesn't make it a non event. It played out as it played out, not the same as the 1999 one and the next one won't be the same either, but to say nothing happened is wrong. We had a partial eclipse, it happened.

You’re wrong srn in some parts of the country nothing WAS SEEN to happen, we all know it happened, but for many there was no changes SEEN
Where I was it didn’t get any dimmer, the birds still flew and squawked , if it hadn’t been for the hype I would not have known anything about it
Why can’t you accept that although we all knew it happened in some parts of the country there was nothing to ‘see’ outwardly the evening was the same as any other but that is not saying it didn’t happen it wasn’t SEEN to happen for many

Lucky you people who had that experience, many of us didn’t.

srn63 Thu 13-Aug-26 07:35:13

To all of you saying nothing happened, something did happen, there was a near total eclipse of the sun, a once in a generational happening, the last one most of us on here will see. Just because it didn't happen as you expected or just because you weren't properly prepared doesn't make it a non event. It played out as it played out, not the same as the 1999 one and the next one won't be the same either, but to say nothing happened is wrong. We had a partial eclipse, it happened.

Greenfinch Thu 13-Aug-26 07:24:08

The problem was I think we were led to expect more than we got by the hype from the media. In our part of Berkshire I couldn’t believe it had actually happened : the sun on the lawn receded a little but soon returned.

Kandinsky Thu 13-Aug-26 07:17:06

And I’m down south where it’s blue sky’s and sunny all day. Still didn’t notice ( and I was outside )
grin

Kandinsky Thu 13-Aug-26 07:12:40

If it hadn’t been all over the news I wouldn’t have even know there was an eclipse - didn’t notice anything.
Where we were it went ever so slightly ( and I mean slightly ) dark for a few minutes and that was it.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-26 06:58:58

Exactly usedtobeblonde and in the east of England nothing really changed either There was no darkness, no stillness it was a normal evening and it’s very frustrating that some people have to argue and say we are being curmudgeonly and expecting too much
I ll tell you what I expected, I expected it to go quiet the birds to be silent and a little dark stillness to happen … that’s all I expected, but for many parts of the country nothing at all changed, the birds were still flying around calling to each other there was no dimming, to all intents and purposes it just carried on as it was. So to all those doubters and mockers it was a different experience depending where you were living, please do accept that.

Usedtobeblonde Thu 13-Aug-26 06:36:57

The fact is that for us in the North of England very little happened, proper glasses worn or not.

Calendargirl Thu 13-Aug-26 06:30:56

srn63

I don't know what many of you expected. We bought the correct glasses to watch it properly and found it awesome. I give up.

I’m sure you’re correct, having the proper glasses must make it so much better.

As usual, I was late to the party, only realised it was all going to happen the day before, too late to get any.

Life carries on though, whether you witnessed it or not.

BlueBelle Thu 13-Aug-26 06:19:04

srn63

I don't know what many of you expected. We bought the correct glasses to watch it properly and found it awesome. I give up.

Srn63 I expected sonething even if only a little bit of different Literally nothing happened for us in Suffolk it stayed exactly the same The birds were still calling it neither went dusky or quiet
You must accept that different parts of the country may have had different experiences but nothing at all changed for many people

cornergran Thu 13-Aug-26 04:06:44

Sitting above the coast looking at the sun across the water we were mesmerised by what we saw. The light gradually changed, the sky changed colour, we watched the sun appear to change shape and almost disappear before the process reversed. New glasses kept our eyes safe. So many people around with a shared purpose, all very relaxed.

The only fly in the evenings ointment came from people parking inconsiderately and illegally causing gridlock. We sat in the car eating our picnic waiting for the chaos to clear wondering ‘why’.