I find something good on Netflix and watch while knitting for charity. I've had two showers today and might have another at bedtime. Anything to cool down. Complete change of clothes is lovely too.
Strictly 2026- Remembering Sparklefizz.
When it’s hot I can’t go out apart from very early dog walks. I have no transport. I sit indoors, too hot to do anything useful like housework or gardening. I know it’s not good for anyone to be sitting most of the day and it’s so boring. I’ve done puzzles, read a book, done embroidery, had a nap. I need to buy several birthday presents but won’t be able to go shopping until the temperature is back to normal.
How do others fill these long heat wave days?
I find something good on Netflix and watch while knitting for charity. I've had two showers today and might have another at bedtime. Anything to cool down. Complete change of clothes is lovely too.
I had quite a cool day till 3 as I volunteer at a local day centre for dementia sufferers and there are lots of fans around plus the big room we spend most time in has open doors onto the outdoor garden area.
After I came home I quickly changed into my cotton dressing gown and cotton flip flops, got a long cold drink and sat down to watch the recorded Wimbledon semis .
After that I made a salad tea, rang my sister, watched an episode of a drama
And have just come in from watering my pots and picking strawberries for watching tomorrow’s Wimbledon.
No housework done but I do feed the cat.
My father always said that if you were bored it was your own fault. There are books, libraries, television, radio, DVDs or equivalent, the internet, your own imagination. Some enjoy crafts, but I would find knitting or sewing more boring than just gazing into space..
I am not very mobile, so I have spent most of the day sitting by the fan watching the tennis or writing. I keep a diary, a record of thoughts and feelings as well as actions. I communicate with friends and my family, and today have been joining (from a distance) my granddaughter ‘s 14th birthday celebrations. I don’t think I have felt bored for a moment.
I am not bored, but very frustrated. My hopeless heart means that the heat hits me hard and all the things I want to do are on hold as I get so giddy if I exert myself .....
Wimbledon has been a great boon, but sitting watching TV is very much not my thing! Grrr ....
You may find you can sort out your library card online. polnan
Borrowbox is a free service from most libraries and an easy interface to navigate.
I hope you enjoy it.
Milest0ne - just looked for your poem.
So true. 😊
I really sympathise would you Water meadow. Not sure how all these Gransnetters are doing housework, making jam, going out etc. For me and you and others who really feel the heat, normal life just comes to a halt in these heatwaves and it is really challenging to stay buoyant! I would rather it was snowing - at least then you can stay in and wrap up, watch films, read books and drink hot chocolate! I don't want to be confined inside for 12 hours in the summer!
I am currently on a housesit and have had to really use all my powers of resilience to stay cheerful! I always bring lots of things to do with me - crochet, embroidery , books, writing and painting materials and I've really needed them on this one as I can't leave the dogs shut in the kitchen in 30+ degrees! And can't go out myself - even into the lovely garden 😕
So that would be my only advice when the weather does this - have plenty of things that you love doing to hand! And remind yourself that Autumn is just around the corner!
Sending empathetic hugs 🤗
My father always said that if you were bored it was your own fault
I think most people are well aware that there are numerous activities available to them. Bored, like tired can have a deeper meaning.
Wanted to watch tennis in the summer house, but too hot even with both doors open. Tried sitting outside under a big parasol, but no breeze, so far too hot. Unfortunately, what little shade there is in my garden, it is not possible to have a chair there. Since my bout of bronchitis recently, it has affected my breathing and this hot weather has made it worse, so housework is done on a very much 'only if really necessary'!!
Im 6 weeks post hip replacement so going slow and not doing much is a good excuse!
I agree, it is getting boring. Living alone, I manage to stay sane by going out quite a lot. But I just can't do it in this heat.
I had to go out for a medical appointment yesterday and just couldn't wait to get home into the relative comfort of my house.
Luckily sons are visiting this weekend thank goodness.
I do all the chores, watering etc, early and then just cruise through the day. The tennis has helped this week but is almost over now.
Roll on rain and coolness.... Then I can grumble about that as well 
I’m bored because the heat has put a stop to normal life. We all have reasons for what we choose to do or what we can’t do. Old age or other needs limit us.
I can’t read for long and have days when all is blurred. I used to read for hours, walk for hours, enjoy a day out. Not any more so I don’t need telling it’s my own fault.
I had a little trip out to an arbouretum this morning, first in! I really, really wanted to go to a Medieval Festival but couldn't face the blasting heat.
The canopy of trees perked me up no end though, I wandered about and sat down on a bench with a lolly and wasn't aware of the temp at all.
All I need now is a pretty little cottage in a woodland glade to move into........
Doing my holiday washing, whilst sitting quietly reading in between trying to keep cool.
I feel like I am wasting weeks of my life - and I've reached the age where I can't afford to do that!
LaceyWings
I’m not bored. This is what I am doing this afternoon. Relaxing in the garden with a cocktail.
What a beautiful garden
eddie cat LOL
watermeadow
I’m bored because the heat has put a stop to normal life. We all have reasons for what we choose to do or what we can’t do. Old age or other needs limit us.
I can’t read for long and have days when all is blurred. I used to read for hours, walk for hours, enjoy a day out. Not any more so I don’t need telling it’s my own fault.
Of course it's not your own fault. It's rather dispiriting to seek out validation and chat/ comfort and be told to get on with it.
It's very challenging.
Can I swap with some of you - it’s been overcast and cool here in Durham today with drizzly rain this evening. At least I’ve done lots of housework and DD2’s laundry and tomorrow’s high will ‘feel’ only 15c.
Georgesgran
Can I swap with some of you - it’s been overcast and cool here in Durham today with drizzly rain this evening. At least I’ve done lots of housework and DD2’s laundry and tomorrow’s high will ‘feel’ only 15c.
Ooh me please! Pack your floppy hat, suglasses & st Tropez
, I'll leave you something nicely chilled in the fridge
(you'll need it!) and I'll dance in the drizzle 
I am getting up much earlier than usual, and pottering in the garden until it begins to get too hot, then I retreat indoors to fiddle sbout doing housework etc, but by say noon it gets too hot to do much at all. I sit and read or watch a film etc, but do feel very sedentary. I often have a doze - to compensate for my early rising,
These extreme temperatures are too much to say go to the beach or stroll.
I have a small fan blowing on me, which is very comfortable. I’m not mobile, so this weather isn’t affecting me very much.
I have a sketch book or two on the go and I’m using pens, pencils, crayons and paint. I bought a couple of the very small paint sets, so I can use them while sitting in my chair.
I read, use my kindle, do online shopping, watch TV and we also have several streaming services. I’ve been reliving my childhood watching Bewitched, Popeye cartoons, the Flintstones and Rowan and Martins Laugh In. I’m never bored.
Bewitched. 
My favourite programme wheb i was little.
Samantha was just "a doll".
MayBee70
I have absolutely no energy when it’s like this. And I sweat profusely.
I sympathize, I am the same and I have never suffered before. We used to love the heat during holidays abroad but this year it has been unbearable. I like to do things with the teenage grandchildren during school and college holidays but can’t do it until this extreme heat is over.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.