Gransnet forums

Chat

Not so mid life crisis

(55 Posts)
VincentAl Thu 02-Jul-26 11:30:23

Hello there, I'm new to the group and thought I'd introduce myself. I recently retired after a whole life of working, and if I'm being truthful, it's been a bigger adjustment than I ever expected. There have been so many changes all at once that it's left me feeling very overwhelmed.

I don't really have a plan for what's next, and I'm not quite sure where to begin. I'd really appreciate hearing from you, any recommendations that could help me?

Greyduster Fri 31-Jul-26 19:34:03

As someone said upthread, local libraries are usually a good source of activities - book groups, past times chat groups and local history seem to be very popular; Drop in and Draw (materials provided - no drawing experience needed!).

If you have any walking groups near you they are a good informal source of exercise and company and cater for all fitness levels.

I give a few hours of my time two days a week listening to children read in a local junior school. Schools are crying out for reading volunteers and it’s very rewarding.

I’m sure you’ll settle into this new stage of your life soon and find something enjoyable and rewarding to fill some of your time. Don’t rush into anything.

Esmay Sat 01-Aug-26 14:20:29

I'm still volunteering but on my own terms .

Esmay Sat 01-Aug-26 14:23:12

Oops lost the first part of my post .
Just a warning about volunteering.
It's not always that great .
I've never encountered such a rude ,unpleasant and nasty group of women

silverlining48 Sat 01-Aug-26 15:06:54

I joined my local u3a and have met a lot of very nice people as well as started a few other interesting activities. There is often a lot to choose from . Have a look at u3a online for your area .
If you like to walk there are usually walking groups with u3a, also many councils organise regular free walks locally too.
My dh joined bowls when he retired and over 20 years later still enjoys it.
Congratulations on retiring , you may find that you are so busy you wonder how you fitted work in.