It is indeed good for your brain! Well done Oldnproud. I’m still trying to find a piano tuner that doesn’t require me to sell a kidney to pay for his services😱!!
You and Yours to be cut from BBC radio 4 schedule
I have wanted to do this for a long time,and have just taken the plunge, buying an electronic keyboard with weighted keys. Both of my sons play, and one has the same keyboard, so I am happy with this purchase, which arrived yesterday.
I want to teach myself as much as possible, as there are no piano teachers close-by.
My aim is to be able eventually to play popular songs that I can sing along to for pleasure (though with my singing, i will probably be the only person getting any enjoyment from 😂).
While I can't read music, I am happy to do that as I learn, though I have no intention of ever taking exams, so i suppose i don't need too much theory.
Today was day 1, and I have started off using the first of five free lessons (Pianote) on YouTube, and have enjoyed it.
My son has suggested an app. I think it is called Simply Piano. Once I have worked through free lessons on YouTube, I am thinking of paying to use that.
I don't think I will ever be great, but one thing I have always had is a stubborn tenacity, bordering on obsessivness when I decide to do something!
I was wondering was if any of you have learned to play piano like this as an older person, how you got on, and if you have any advice that you would be willing to share. If you used books, were there any that you found really good for an adult ?
Thanks in advance ☺
It is indeed good for your brain! Well done Oldnproud. I’m still trying to find a piano tuner that doesn’t require me to sell a kidney to pay for his services😱!!
Luckygirl3
Well done - don't give up - keep on plugging away there! It's good for your brain!
I'm sure you are right about it being good for the brain.
There have been a few times when my brain has said 'no', but I have talked it round. The first of those was when I reached the stage of trying to play the piano with both hands at once. To start with, my brain insisted on telling my left hand that it could only move exactly the same direction as my right hand, but I managed to prove it wrong! 😃
I realised after I posted this update that it would have been a lot better to have put it on a new thread rather than the existing one, so that people didnt waste their time reading right through it before they realized it was an update
.
My apologies to anyone who might been inconvenienced by this
Another thing you might think of, is if you have a favourite or special piece of music. It could be the actual melody,or some precious memories with someone important to you. I am thinking of a pleasant tune, not beethovens 5th!
I have found as a teacher that having something important to you, really encourages you to keep going when things are flagging a bit. It is your special thing, no one else needs to know or listen to it, but it really can encourage you to keep going. So when I had a child, reluctant to read anything, and therefore obviously he wasnt progressing well. He was keen on fishing with his dad, and so I hunted round for a couple of books connected with fishing , and that kept him going, until that sort of break through that you often get in learning anything. It is that great bit when you suddenly realize things are making a bit more sense to you and it is becoming clearer to you. Do gofor it and enjoy what you play.Dont put any pressure on yourself, just start with that aim to play that one tune or piece from a show you went to and have that as your end goal as you slowly learn more and more. I played the piano as a child going on to play duets with my sister etc, but dont do much these days but do use the piano when I am learning songs etc. If you have any friends who either already play or are keen to learn, you might get together to keep the impetus going. Enjoy yourself
madeleine
Another thing you might think of, is if you have a favourite or special piece of music. It could be the actual melody,or some precious memories with someone important to you. I am thinking of a pleasant tune, not beethovens 5th!
I have found as a teacher that having something important to you, really encourages you to keep going when things are flagging a bit. It is your special thing, no one else needs to know or listen to it, but it really can encourage you to keep going.
Thanks Madeleine, that is great advice.
I chose to start teaching myself a simple version of 'Country Roads' for that exact reason a month (or two) ago, and it really does what you said, in keeping me going and lifting my mood if I am flagging, and is exactly the sort of thing that I haf hoped to end up being able to play when I decided to start learning. 😊
I learned up to Grade 4 as a child. I returned to piano when my husband bought me a digital piano. I only played it intermittently whilst working and then he bought me a decent Kawai digital with weighted keys etc a few years before retirement. I joined a U3A piano group 12 months ago and at each meeting we perform a piece and talk about the joys and frustrations of playing. Let's face it it is a solitary instrument. There is no judgement or criticism only encouragement and support. One lady has a diploma and plays advanced pieces, two ladies play Diabelli duets, a few of us are intermediate level and we have a 92 year old beginner.
Joining this group gave me a goal - to try and perfect a piece, of course I make mistakes as it is quite nerve wracking playing to others and on a different piano.
6 months ago I decided to start lessons and it improved my technique and playing immensely.
I now play grade 5 pieces.
It brings me so much pleasure - I recommend YouTube videos and even just practicing 10 or 20 minutes a day. Keep practicing a piece and the muscle memory will improve, you won't need to look at your hands, you will anticipate the notes before they are played.
Don't stress about theory - I spent 5 minutes each lesson with my piano teacher. It does help with understanding a piece.
I subscribe to TomPlay so can download music and also Pianist magazine. My last piece was Adagio from Ravels Piano Concerto in G major - incredibly beautiful, but I have also played jazz and blues which has been a new experience and now in examination books! Unlike when I learned in the 1970's.
I have volunteered to play at a Ukelely group which means learning chords. So another challenge.
I am also starting a U3A piano group in my local area. It really is taking over my life but I love it!
That sounds amazing, mrsmeldrew 😊
The weather is changing so time to get the keyboard out of the cupboard in the spare room, dig out some music and tell myself, once again, that this winter I’ll stick at it.
Time will tell! 😂
Go for it merlotgran. 
Actually, it does feel like a good pastime for the cooler, darker months, doesnt it!
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.
Â
Â