Gosh - this is the first time I have opened this door/looked at this thread!
I can honestly say that I have never felt imtimidated. I am intrigued by the views of those with whom I disagree, and we can learn something from everyone. Neither do I feel intimidated by those who are clearly far more knowledgeable on a particular subject than I am.
I have subjects about which I feel particularly strongly, as do others, but I do not feel at all intimidated by listening to views other than my own. Inevitably there will be times when people express their views with some vehemence, but that should not be confused with intimidation.
I am impressed by all the people with whom I pursue a debate on here and find it interesting and enjoyable, and had always assumed that others did too.
It takes all sorts, as they say, and there are all sorts of grandmas which is great!