My MiL died in January. We had our ups and downs and she often poked her nose in. Mainly because she loved her son, my husband. We argued but never held a grudge. She often confided in me. I suppose it was easier because we didn't have any baggage. Our relationship matured over 40+ years and we came to love each other and we were very close. I lost my own mother at 22 so in a way she became a surrogate. A few days ago my husband received a text asking for his details to pay in his share of the estate. It's not much about £3000 + more than we expected. It's forced me to realise I'll never see her again. I've been so busy comforting her daughter that I hadn't really thought of it. Today I feel really tearful. I can't share this with her daughter who is still distraught. I don't want to upset my husband. I feel as if my own family and freinds might feel "she was only your MiL" but she was part of my whole married life. I'd love a memento but feel awful asking because I'm only the DiL. I'm telling you because I can't tell anyone else.
Good Morning Sunday 11th October 2026
Wedding Present Dinner Service.
Do You Have Any Strange Memories?
My daughter is lying about me and editing me out of her life.



try to focus on a lovely experience that you shared and do ask for a memento. Often people are only too pleased that someone cares enough to want something. Maybe your DH could ask on your behalf.