Just done the test, I know it's crazy and needs to be done, but is anyone else scared of getting the results?
Gransnet forums
Ask a gran
Bowel test
(26 Posts)Every time. It's always been fine though.
It is worth doing. My DH did it which turned out positive. He had a colonogram, less invasive than a colonoscopy, and it found his bowel was clear but he had a small cancerous growth on his liver. He was able to be operated on as it was small but he would not be here now if they had not found it.
You’re not the only one -we are all scared of tests and the results.
I had to take in a sample - due to passing blood - awful process 🤢 - but glad I did it - everything was ok - the blood was from a tear due to straining.
My daughter has just been for a hysteroscopy. I am now worried about the reults of that.
Life is one big worry !!
Of course, though once I have trotted to the post box (usually under the cover of darkness) I forget about it. The letter with results comes quickly here.
Do not worry about the result. Here is my latest experience of bowel screening.
I was sent my very last bowel cancer screening kit in May. Sent it off and the result came back positive for blood in stool. I wasn't worried, just a little concerned but I was impressed at the speed at which I was seen at the hospital. By the beginning of June I had a date for a colonoscopy. Result, no cancer detected, just one small polyp, removed there and then, and an inflamed ileo cecal valve which they didn't understand but took a biopsy of just in case. The result of the biopsy back in seven days, NAD.
All in all, great service from the NHS.
NHS screening's kits are only sent out up to 74 years of age.
After that, you should request a kit from them on 08007076060.
Yes, thank you Georgesgran, being over 74, we had to do that and I would advise anyone to always take the test. It is worrying waiting for the results, but they usually arrive very quickly dolly.
I wish I'd asked for further tests after 74.
Aged 79, I had bowel cancer. Horrible operations (two, owing to mistake with first) long unpleasant recovery with open wound.
Luckily for clinicians as well as me, I've made an excellent recovery. But it shouldn't have been like that.
I’ve had a message to say they’re sending me a test kit. So I’ll be a wreck waiting for the result ( although I did do one a few months ago due to anaemia). I think it’s even worse now we can look up our results online! I’m shaking when I log onto it.
I just do it and don’t worry about it at all. I am med-high risk of BC according to genetic counselling as my Mum had it twice (different strains) but caught early BC is one of the most treatable cancers. I also have regular colonoscopies.
I’m another one who does the test, sends it off and forgets about it until the results come. What will be, will be.
I’m 77 and routinely ask for the test.
I had married friends the wife always did her test and the husband refused to do one. He was a well educated man and a good friend . He died of bowel cancer a few years ago and had a painful end to his life. We still miss him and wish he had been sensible .
We will have to ask for our poo sticks next time as we will both be over 74. It's certainly worth doing, as others have said - we have a friend whose test was positive the first time they sent the tests out. He had had no symptoms, but had a small cancer removed. Today, years later, he is (touch wood) fit and well and always does the test!
Bowel cancer is often a good one to catch early as treatment can be very successful.
I never get scared of results of any tests especially smears when I had them . My first one at 18 was positive but turned out I had thrush. When I was 38 had total hysterectomy and they even took my cervix so no more smears.
I always have my mammogram plus check my boob's weekly by touch and looking at them in case of any changes and do the bowel test.
Cancers caught early can be treated and cured . Fear of test results made my mom never have a smear or mammogram. But when she was 73 always had pain in her left boob went to the doctors as it was very bad. Luckily it was a locum who sent her to rapid access clinic. Turned out the cancer was in her right boob the size of a pea . She had mastectomy and lymph nodes removed
The consultant if she hadn't come when she did which was May she would have been dead by Christmas. Because of her fear of results wouldn't have another mammogram . Aged 86 got breast cancer again same operation .
I never understand fear of results when it can save your life . Took me until I was 63 to finally find out what my disability I was born with and only because if my neurologist havjng my whole genome genetically tested. When I was 62 found out I was also born with a hole in the side of my heart. All because I moved to the north west 7 years ago and had a GP that cared. Had heart problems for years but my old GP just did in house ECG and my neurologist didn't care.
Thankfully on medication on what I was born with and changed my life.
My uncle found out he bowel cancer through test after operation,chemo and radiotherapy lived for years.
He went on to have bladder cancer which was treated . And lived 15 years before he died in his 80's . Not because of cancer .
Why fear test results when they could save your life. I never turn down any tests .
Please never turn down tests because fear of results .Time to pull on your big girl pants . We are lucky in this country we get these tests free.
My brother has a friend who tests the bowel kits says they are lucky if they get 62% of completed tests back. Always makes me wonder how many people die through fear of results.
.
Mine has just come back positive!
Discussed with GP. As result is not very high I am doing a second test.
Luckygirl3 glad you are having a second test. Whatever the result at least you will know and a plan of action can be put in place if needed.
Your post shows how important it is to have the bowel test done. And that goes for all the tests we have done .
Wishing you all the best and a hug .
dragonfly46
It is worth doing. My DH did it which turned out positive. He had a colonogram, less invasive than a colonoscopy, and it found his bowel was clear but he had a small cancerous growth on his liver. He was able to be operated on as it was small but he would not be here now if they had not found it.
How did they find the cancer on his liver? Was that a different test?
I always worry about the result and hate the waiting. My last test was fine but the one before was positive and I had to have a colonoscopy. Every thing was fine thank goodness the blood was probably caused by my piles which I hadn’t realised were bleeding. I always make sure my piles aren’t active at the time of the test now.
Good luck.
Whiff
Luckygirl3 glad you are having a second test. Whatever the result at least you will know and a plan of action can be put in place if needed.
Your post shows how important it is to have the bowel test done. And that goes for all the tests we have done .
Wishing you all the best and a hug .
Thank you.
There are other factors that might account for the result... piles and recent gut infection .... so I am hoping the second test will be useful. Fingers crossed ....
Good luck, Luckygirl3 
Please do the test and request one if you’re over 74. A family member didn’t and died of BC.
DamaskRose had my mammogram this year result was negative. But the radiographer gave me the number to call in 3 years as I will be 71 and won't get an automatic notification. I will always have all tests done.
Good luck Luckygirl3. Thanks for all your kind comments. My test has come back negative 
That's great news!!
Join the conversation
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »
