Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Hoping for reviews on the lightweight ‘click on’ mops I’ve seen online.

(28 Posts)
Sasta Wed 30-Sept-26 18:02:48

Hi everyone. I’m on a self made ban from buying ‘stuff’ from weirdly named sites that pop up regularly on Facebook due to falling for the complete utter rubbish promises of what I can expect more times than I’m prepared to confess. However, there’s an advert doing the rounds for a lightweight small flat mop that you can (apparently) use with any old cloth, or, as the advert says, even an old tee shirt. No bending, you (supposedly) just click the mop head over the cloth and release as easily. I’m suspicious. Has anybody bought one of these?

Mollygo Wed 30-Sept-26 18:26:12

Bought mine from Lidl for less than £5 and it’s great. Simple things like clicking down on a sheet of kitchen roll when the dog has knocked her water bowl, or with a thicker cloth or old piece of fabric when I’ve sprayed cleaner on the floor. Even better when bird stuff hit the top of the kitchen window. Easily cleaned off, then rinsed.
To remove the cloth I just put my foot on top of the mop and pull up on the handle to detach the cloth.

Sasta Wed 30-Sept-26 20:18:22

That sounds perfect Mollygo, but I haven’t seen any irl, only on FB. for a fiver you could afford the risk. I’ll have to keep a look out!

Georgesgran Wed 30-Sept-26 22:35:14

I’ve got one on order from an online ad, but will it turn up? Watch this space!

Sasta Wed 30-Sept-26 23:24:50

Good luck Georgesgran. I hope it’s just what you need; please let us know.

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Oct-26 00:40:29

www.swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/sweeping/swiffer-sweeper-floor-mop-starter-kit

This will apparently use "any old" rags but it does come with its own.
Good reviews

Shel1951 Thu 01-Oct-26 06:50:51

I have one,its great, I use rags etc cut up old towels, microclothes depending on the job, I first purchased a larger one but it was too big, I have one with about a 6 inch head to clip onto, can't praise it enough as it does what its supposed to.

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:19:39

Our sin has one, from Home Bargains I think. The bucket separates clean and dirty water too, he’s very happy with it.

Personally prefer a spray mop for regular use and the steam mop once a week.

LadyGracie Thu 01-Oct-26 09:21:20

I bought mine from Lakeland in the sale, I like it, it does its job.

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:22:09

Son, not sin!

Elless Thu 01-Oct-26 09:26:23

It's the same a the flash speed mop, I've had one for ages but I don't use the speed mop wipes that come with it.

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:43:40

How does your flash speed mop clean without wipes? Isn’t it just a plastic surface?
Our sons is an actual fabric mop, that clicks onto the pole. Comes with an additional fabric head.

Mollygo Thu 01-Oct-26 09:50:57

NotSpaghetti

www.swiffer.com/en-us/shop-products/sweeping/swiffer-sweeper-floor-mop-starter-kit

This will apparently use "any old" rags but it does come with its own.
Good reviews

No it’s not a Swiffer. The whole idea of the mop I use is that you don’t have to tuck cloths in or untuck the used cloths.
The nearest one I’ve found is the Lakeland one.
www.lakeland.co.uk/products/lakeland-quick-mop?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=20891625552&gbraid=0AAAAADtoD6OnJQCS318Bkmp5EhDtJoTPz&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvqWduLeYlwMVqqBoCR1-JiWdEAQYAiABEgIb0PD_BwE

Luckygirl3 Thu 01-Oct-26 10:15:01

I have a flash speedmop. It's good. I buy their anti-bac cloths to put in it but sometimes use any old rag.

Elless Thu 01-Oct-26 12:41:49

You do have to tuck something into the flash speedmop to use it.

CarrotTop Thu 01-Oct-26 13:02:08

Is it that really that much harder to wrap/tie an old cloth around an existing broom-head, do the job with it, untie the cloth and throw it away (or wash it if you're thrifty)?
I too used to buy an awful lot of gadgetry, only to find that my old methods were easier/cheaper/quicker (and didn't involve finding yet more storage space where they could sit for years gathering dust)! I have so many clip-on, screw-apart single-function white elephants in my garage, it isn't even funny. smile Or maybe it is (I'm the one that's born every minute).
If the website looks at all dodgy, don't be tempted - I have a lot of those mistakes in the garage, too!

Sasta Thu 01-Oct-26 14:22:07

Thanks NotSpaghetti. I’ll look into this!

Sasta Thu 01-Oct-26 14:27:52

Do you know the make of it Shel1951? Sounds like the ones I’m seeing on FB ads.

Sasta Thu 01-Oct-26 14:37:48

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I’ll get the Lakeland one, it looks very close to those I’ve seen online. I want a very lightweight one for a quick mop up between full on cleaning with the Vileda Turbo.

julieray Thu 01-Oct-26 14:59:41

I’ve got one of these and I’m happy with it. The head can be washed and reused
www.argos.co.uk/product/4655475?region_id=02929m

Shel1951 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:23:36

Sasta its really old but you can get them anywhere,I wouldnt bother about the make,the blue I pulled out of the garage it never gets used,it takes a flat mop head, the red is brilliant, just attach cloth with the 4 rubber slots,

Donnaree Thu 01-Oct-26 17:07:01

I bought mine on tiktok shop. Absolutely love it, I even use mine for my kitchen cabinets that I can't reach.

Greciangirl Thu 01-Oct-26 18:02:25

I’m looking on the website for them.
But why do some of them take batteries?

There is just too much choice and not sure what to choose..

I had a swiffer years ago and it just came with some dry sheets that you attached to the head and then disposed of them afterwards. This latest one is new to me.

Mollygo Thu 01-Oct-26 18:12:21

I bought mine because I saw it on FB, but like the OP said, I was reluctant to buy from sn unknown source, then when I saw it in Lidl I thought I’d give it a try.

If you’re being offered one with batteries or one that you need to tuck something into 4spaces on the top, or one you have to put a cover over the head, like the red and blue ones above, it’s not the same thing.

All those do work, but they aren’t the ones that you simply click onto any cloth and click off without having to touch the cloth (unless it’s one you want to reuse.)

Sasta Fri 02-Oct-26 13:32:43

It’s been useful hearing from you all thank you. I was passing a Lakeland yesterday (we don’t have one in my town) I nipped in and got theirs. It’s exactly what I was hoping for at half the price I’d seen on some of the FB posts. Really pleased with it for between proper floor washes.