Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Requests from unknown numbers to add on WhatsApp

(28 Posts)
Lizzies Wed 30-Sept-26 15:26:57

I keep getting calls from different numbers and the message is always the same, please add me on WhatsApp. I believe these are robo calls because the voicemail is always the same woman. Has anyone else had these and does anyone know what, if any, is their end game?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Sept-26 15:56:43

I block the number and report as spam.

Lizzies Wed 30-Sept-26 16:37:22

I do, but the next one is a different number.

Sarnia Wed 30-Sept-26 16:37:27

Same as GrannyGravy13. Report and block. I imagine their end game is money.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Sept-26 16:43:15

I get them, but delete and take no notice

shoppinggirl Wed 30-Sept-26 16:43:20

Yes, I've had them too, the same woman's voice from different numbers. I have no idea what they're about. I just end the call.

MG55 Wed 30-Sept-26 16:52:46

I have had them about three times and I block each number 👍

M0nica Wed 30-Sept-26 17:02:34

I never answer them. I have a feeling that because the number is never actually answered and just gets cut off, the number is eventually taken off their list. I certainly get very few nuisance calls and they do usually tail off.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sept-26 17:06:20

If the call isn’t in my contact list I don’t answer, anyone important will leave a message.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 30-Sept-26 17:08:46

That's exactly what I do, Jaxjacky. It's not surprising that there is never a voicemail!

alita Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:30

I never answer unidentified numbers, unless its an NHS call I'm expecting and it says Private Number, which I've been told about. If its legit, they will leave a message or send a text. I give them 5 minutes to do that, then block the number.

Albangirl14 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:04:31

My mobile blocks suspected spam and I assume if a genuine call they would message me but never do so it seems to work

Barbadosbelle Thu 01-Oct-26 14:35:36

.

I only have friends and family on my WhatsApp so if their name isn't there then I just delete. Medical apps etc and all business matters I keep to texts.
I never get rogue messages.

Elegran Thu 01-Oct-26 14:45:05

I don't get these strange calls on WhatsApp, but hearing that it is the same woman's voice makes me wonder whether she is the same woman who does those recorded messages that start "This is your bank . . ." and similar ones. I know if I start listening to a call and it turns out to be her recorded voice that it is a scam. Maybe it is scammers all using the same "rent-a-voice" app?

Babamaman Thu 01-Oct-26 14:48:01

Block - report - delete

Aldom Thu 01-Oct-26 14:49:52

I had one of those calls five minutes ago. It asked to be added to WhatsApp.
I blocked it and reported it as a scam.

Esmay Thu 01-Oct-26 14:49:54

I had a few on WhatsApp-ultimately asking for bank transfers.
Now I'm getting dating requests on Pinterest .
One guy has changed his profile three times and is now pretending to be a high flying American General .

crazyH Thu 01-Oct-26 14:50:04

I get calls from Pure Cremation, Direct Cremation and the like 😂

AuntieE Thu 01-Oct-26 15:05:22

I do not add anyone I do not know personally to my WhatsApp, my gmail or my ordinary mobile number.

Why would any of us want to do this?

The liklihood is they are scammers, or beggers.

Chicklette Thu 01-Oct-26 15:08:59

I keep getting these on my work mobile. I’m glad it’s not just me and I shall continue to block and delete them.

Milest0ne Thu 01-Oct-26 16:02:03

I have not had any WhatsApp requests but get the same woman on different numbers saying "This your bank calling --- reporting suspicious activity on Amazon" I block the number but it is always different. I also report it on "Who called me"

Slimswim Thu 01-Oct-26 16:31:50

I had literally just finished reading this and got a call. Blocked the number.

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 17:43:38

Just don’t

Mojack26 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:40:09

What's the problem? You don't and block the number....simples

Basgetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:17:36

Just report, block and get on with your day.