Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Requests from unknown numbers to add on WhatsApp

(29 Posts)
Lizzies Wed 30-Sept-26 15:26:57

I keep getting calls from different numbers and the message is always the same, please add me on WhatsApp. I believe these are robo calls because the voicemail is always the same woman. Has anyone else had these and does anyone know what, if any, is their end game?

Bellanonna Fri 02-Oct-26 12:39:53

I’ve had several. Blocked immediately.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Fri 02-Oct-26 12:09:18

I’ve had 2 or 3of these requests. They must think we are stupid!

25Avalon Fri 02-Oct-26 11:53:22

Yes I get these quite often. Usually asking to be included on WhatsApp for jobs. The female voice recording starts as soon as I pick up the phone. I delete and block - until the next one.

Basgetti Fri 02-Oct-26 09:17:36

Just report, block and get on with your day.

Mojack26 Thu 01-Oct-26 22:40:09

What's the problem? You don't and block the number....simples

MawsRosie Thu 01-Oct-26 17:43:38

Just don’t

Slimswim Thu 01-Oct-26 16:31:50

I had literally just finished reading this and got a call. Blocked the number.

Milest0ne Thu 01-Oct-26 16:02:03

I have not had any WhatsApp requests but get the same woman on different numbers saying "This your bank calling --- reporting suspicious activity on Amazon" I block the number but it is always different. I also report it on "Who called me"

Chicklette Thu 01-Oct-26 15:08:59

I keep getting these on my work mobile. I’m glad it’s not just me and I shall continue to block and delete them.

AuntieE Thu 01-Oct-26 15:05:22

I do not add anyone I do not know personally to my WhatsApp, my gmail or my ordinary mobile number.

Why would any of us want to do this?

The liklihood is they are scammers, or beggers.

crazyH Thu 01-Oct-26 14:50:04

I get calls from Pure Cremation, Direct Cremation and the like 😂

Esmay Thu 01-Oct-26 14:49:54

I had a few on WhatsApp-ultimately asking for bank transfers.
Now I'm getting dating requests on Pinterest .
One guy has changed his profile three times and is now pretending to be a high flying American General .

Aldom Thu 01-Oct-26 14:49:52

I had one of those calls five minutes ago. It asked to be added to WhatsApp.
I blocked it and reported it as a scam.

Babamaman Thu 01-Oct-26 14:48:01

Block - report - delete

Elegran Thu 01-Oct-26 14:45:05

I don't get these strange calls on WhatsApp, but hearing that it is the same woman's voice makes me wonder whether she is the same woman who does those recorded messages that start "This is your bank . . ." and similar ones. I know if I start listening to a call and it turns out to be her recorded voice that it is a scam. Maybe it is scammers all using the same "rent-a-voice" app?

Barbadosbelle Thu 01-Oct-26 14:35:36

.

I only have friends and family on my WhatsApp so if their name isn't there then I just delete. Medical apps etc and all business matters I keep to texts.
I never get rogue messages.

Albangirl14 Thu 01-Oct-26 14:04:31

My mobile blocks suspected spam and I assume if a genuine call they would message me but never do so it seems to work

alita Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:30

I never answer unidentified numbers, unless its an NHS call I'm expecting and it says Private Number, which I've been told about. If its legit, they will leave a message or send a text. I give them 5 minutes to do that, then block the number.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 30-Sept-26 17:08:46

That's exactly what I do, Jaxjacky. It's not surprising that there is never a voicemail!

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sept-26 17:06:20

If the call isn’t in my contact list I don’t answer, anyone important will leave a message.

M0nica Wed 30-Sept-26 17:02:34

I never answer them. I have a feeling that because the number is never actually answered and just gets cut off, the number is eventually taken off their list. I certainly get very few nuisance calls and they do usually tail off.

MG55 Wed 30-Sept-26 16:52:46

I have had them about three times and I block each number 👍

shoppinggirl Wed 30-Sept-26 16:43:20

Yes, I've had them too, the same woman's voice from different numbers. I have no idea what they're about. I just end the call.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Sept-26 16:43:15

I get them, but delete and take no notice

Sarnia Wed 30-Sept-26 16:37:27

Same as GrannyGravy13. Report and block. I imagine their end game is money.