Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Electric egg maker for poached eggs - convince me?

(34 Posts)
ferry23 Tue 29-Sept-26 18:23:25

There aren't many things I can't cook but I generally fail miserably with poached eggs. And after 60 odd years of cooking I can assure you I've tried every possible method going.

So anyone had success with an egg maker? I'm toying with this, or wondering to go for the old fashioned pan with the little cups in.

I really don't need another gadget that lands up in the back of a cupboard, but happy to go for it if it does the trick.

semperfidelis Wed 30-Sept-26 17:55:50

Take a frying pan with a lid. Add sufficient water to cover the egg and wait for the water to boil. Reduce the water to a simmer, crack in the egg. Place the lid on the pan; the steam helps to firm up the egg. Remove the egg when the yolk is looking opaque. It's done perfectly.

Squiffy Wed 30-Sept-26 18:01:27

ferry23 My DH must be your twin! He’s tried all the above ‘infallible’ methods and it’s now time for a new gadget to put him out of his misery! Guess what he’s getting for Christmas even if it does clutter up the worktop! 😆

ferry23 Wed 30-Sept-26 18:22:08

Lol Squiffy. Non poachers unite!

Most people have something they can't quite master. I can whip up a batch of choux pastry and craquelin in no time at all. My cousin has spent 25 years trying to make choux buns successfully, but to no avail. Different strokes for different folks.

WithNobsOnIt Wed 30-Sept-26 19:18:44

Never liked poached eggs. They used to make me gag when l was a child

Surprised they are still around and being eaten. It's a wonder they have not been jazzed up as the new wonder breakfast food

My gran had a very battered poached egg pan. Cheap, made from aluminium, very easy to use. She reckoned it worked a treat and swore by it.

God Bless

Esmay Thu 01-Oct-26 09:28:33

Two methods -
Grandma's .
Boil some water in a frying pan .
Turn to simmer .
Crack fresh eggs into buttered old china cups and lower into water .

The vortex method:
Add white vinegar to swirling hot water in a frying pan lower fresh eggs into it .
Remove with a slotted spoon .

ferry23 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:48:40

Thank you but if you read my opening post, I'm not asking how you poach eggs, I'm asking about electric egg makers.

Esmay Thu 01-Oct-26 19:13:12

Sorry ferry23.
I think that we are trying to be helpful !

ferry23 Sun 04-Oct-26 21:36:07

I'm SO angry with myself. Despite knowing I can't poach eggs and reiterating it on here, I decided to try the Poachies recommended. Duly purchase pack. Read instructions, even watch You Tube video.

So all prepared, water bubbling, bread in toaster. Poachie in glass, crack egg into it. Lift it out and happy days, bottom of poachie not sealed properly and I watch as egg white seeps through the unsealed bottom into glass.

Get Poachies back out of cupboard, get clean glass, start again. Eventually manage to lower into the pan. Debate how long to cook them for, instructions say four and a half to five and a half minutes, so I plump for 5. Lift out, and no the egg didn't easily slide out as per instructions. I had to praise out boiling egg from hot poachie with my fingers Egg number 2 slightly better but still needed encouragement. And I knew, it wasn't really worth gently pressing yolk because it was obvious. Billiard balls anyone? Hard as bullets

I don't know why I didn't listen to myself I know I can't poach eggs. I should have listened to the very first response on here, so thanks Galaxy, Salter Egg Cooker now en route