Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Little girls' hair

(100 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 11:01:21

I spotted this picture of Harry and Meghan with Lilibet and was shocked at the state of her hair. It looks unwashed and matted. Don't they posses a hairbrush?

Then I saw another little girl (someone I know) whose hair was even worse! 😳

Is this a thing now, to just leave the hair unbrushed?

MarieElla Sun 27-Sept-26 08:49:52

It tends to be the norm now to leave young girls' and boys with long hair, out and flowing and sometimes in their eyes. It doesn't look good.
When my daughters were at primary school we got a letter requesting we tie long hair up to prevent the spread of headlice.
I always either put hairbands on my daughter's hair or pigtails or plaits. They loved and collected hair accessories.

Basgetti Sun 27-Sept-26 09:21:46

Looks fine to me.

Give it a rest, eh?

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 10:41:20

I expect Lillibet starts out tidy. Maybe Camilla will cut it if they ever baby sit like I read on Mumsnet that some grandmothers have done.

I expect it does start out tidy. We do have something called wind which can cause chaos to the tidiest of hair.
As for cutting it, hope I'm not asked to childmind as I just might snip half an inch off the bottom, just to level it up. 😯

Chardy Sun 27-Sept-26 11:08:34

GrannyGravy13

I have a niece who has long hair with a cross between kinks, waves and curls.

It is an utter nightmare to wash and dry, takes forever to detangle and can lead to melt downs from her and at times my sister.

As for keeping it neat and tidy, that’s an entirely unachievable goal.

Yes my DGD also

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:15:03

One wonders why Mothers don’t insist young daughters who make a fuss about detangling/ brushing hair don’t take them to the hairdressers to have a medium length haircut, or even, perish the thought, short hair.🤔

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sept-26 11:20:22

Oreo

One wonders why Mothers don’t insist young daughters who make a fuss about detangling/ brushing hair don’t take them to the hairdressers to have a medium length haircut, or even, perish the thought, short hair.🤔

I imagine they give their daughters the choice, it is their hair.

On the other hand we could go down the route of all having the same proscribed hair length and style.

I honestly cannot see why a little girl with long hair causes so much interest and division on here 🤷‍♀️

MarieElla Sun 27-Sept-26 11:21:28

Hairbands are easy to use and neaten up hair instantly...my daughters were forever swapping theirs
😅

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:33:25

GrannyGravy13

Oreo

One wonders why Mothers don’t insist young daughters who make a fuss about detangling/ brushing hair don’t take them to the hairdressers to have a medium length haircut, or even, perish the thought, short hair.🤔

I imagine they give their daughters the choice, it is their hair.

On the other hand we could go down the route of all having the same proscribed hair length and style.

I honestly cannot see why a little girl with long hair causes so much interest and division on here 🤷‍♀️

I think you’re being a wee bit defensive GG13 as you have long hair.
If I had a six year old who cried and screamed after every shampoo I would be not giving her a choice ( especially at that age.)
I have no beef with what young Lilibet does with her hair.

Oreo Sun 27-Sept-26 11:35:09

Actually, we have already gone down the route ( younger women and girls) of all having the same proscribed hair length and style….long with no fringe.

Chestnut Sun 27-Sept-26 11:37:31

It's amazing how a simple comment about untidy hair leads to accusations of bullying, targeting and judging a young child. Things can get really out of hand it seems.

I was curious as to whether it is fashionable to have wild and matted hair, because the other child I mentioned is a mess all the time and not just when she's been out in the wind. It really seems no brushing takes place any more.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 27-Sept-26 11:40:04

Oreo I am not being defensive, apologies if that is how it sounds.

I have posted repeatedly on this thread, I just do not understand why this little girl with long hair, a beautiful colour, looks slightly tousled in this photo has caused so much interest, some of which is not very nice.

I have currently got long hair, cannot see what that has to do with it.

Usedtobeblonde Sun 27-Sept-26 11:41:03

I agree with you Chestnut but another aspect of that photograph, I await the flack, is Harry kissing his D on the lips.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 12:08:29

For goodness sake, aside from the fact that it’s none of our business, her hair is fine.

Tying back your hair for school was really part of the uniform policy, particularly at Secondary School where nits are extremely rare.

Nits cannot be prevented by tying back hair, they are pretty prevalent in Primary Schools, especially infants as they play very closely together and heads often touching. My DD has had to treat herself when her lovely pupils have had an outbreak.

My own mother used to tie my hair back when she eventually caved in and allowed me to grow my hair long, I must have been around 9. I’d wait til I got to school and then loosen my hair and let it run free.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 12:11:31

GrannyGravy13

Oreo

One wonders why Mothers don’t insist young daughters who make a fuss about detangling/ brushing hair don’t take them to the hairdressers to have a medium length haircut, or even, perish the thought, short hair.🤔

I imagine they give their daughters the choice, it is their hair.

On the other hand we could go down the route of all having the same proscribed hair length and style.

I honestly cannot see why a little girl with long hair causes so much interest and division on here 🤷‍♀️

I honestly cannot see why a little girl with long hair causes so much interest and division on here 🤷‍♀️

Perhaps some of us have had to wash and carefully detangle granddaughters' hair.

JenniRen Sun 27-Sept-26 12:15:14

Oreo

GrannyGravy13

Oreo

One wonders why Mothers don’t insist young daughters who make a fuss about detangling/ brushing hair don’t take them to the hairdressers to have a medium length haircut, or even, perish the thought, short hair.🤔

I imagine they give their daughters the choice, it is their hair.

On the other hand we could go down the route of all having the same proscribed hair length and style.

I honestly cannot see why a little girl with long hair causes so much interest and division on here 🤷‍♀️

I think you’re being a wee bit defensive GG13 as you have long hair.
If I had a six year old who cried and screamed after every shampoo I would be not giving her a choice ( especially at that age.)
I have no beef with what young Lilibet does with her hair.

I remember the agony of having strips of old sheets wrapped around strands of hair to make ringlets. Not easy to sleep with those on your head.

The resulting ringlets were worth it, though.

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 12:16:29

Chesnut I don’t think little girls with loose long hair look “wild” and “matted” nor unkept.

However, DD went to Primary School with a girl who literally had a massive matt in her hair for months and months. I knew the mother really well and every time I saw them I just wanted to say something, anything to get this mum to deal with it. Daughter was refusing to allow anyone to touch her head and wouldn’t brush it herself either, she would have been 8 or 9, I thought it all most bizarre! But, none of my business!

Commonground Sun 27-Sept-26 12:17:43

Usedtobeblonde

I agree with you Chestnut but another aspect of that photograph, I await the flack, is Harry kissing his D on the lips.

I was heartened to see an attempt to introduce this earlier in this thread had been ignored.
I should've known better sad

Cossy Sun 27-Sept-26 12:19:17

Btw, once all our DC reached around 6 or 7 I gave them a few choices re hair, clothes and food. I think children should have choices re these things from about this age. Just my opinion. Others may differ.

MarieElla Sun 27-Sept-26 12:24:03

Anx back in the olden days when I was at Convebt school, it was part of the uniform regulations to have our hair tied back.
My grandson ties his back in a low pony tail.

MarieElla Sun 27-Sept-26 12:24:43

#convent!

NoodleNut Sun 27-Sept-26 12:36:45

My granddaughter's hair always looks like that 5 mins after brushing it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Usedtobeblonde Sun 27-Sept-26 13:18:38

Commonground thank you for your comment, I shall ignore the blue face.
I am as entitled as anyone else to give my opinion.

vegansrock Sun 27-Sept-26 13:55:33

My eldest Gd aged 21 has gorgeous long curly hair like a pre raphaelite painting. When she was younger she hated having it washed / brushed and made a huge scene at the sight of a hairbrush or comb. Consequently it usually looked a mess. It looks lovely now she takes care of it herself.

AuntieE Sun 27-Sept-26 14:02:25

On my monitor the child's hair looks neither unwashed nor unbrushed.

Long hair worn loose will very shortly look unbrushed, which is why my mother insisted on plaiting mine for everyday, I was only allowed what I called the Alice in Wonderland hairstyle on high days and holidays, but assuredly not on Bonfire Eve!