Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Little girls' hair

(100 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 11:01:21

I spotted this picture of Harry and Meghan with Lilibet and was shocked at the state of her hair. It looks unwashed and matted. Don't they posses a hairbrush?

Then I saw another little girl (someone I know) whose hair was even worse! 😳

Is this a thing now, to just leave the hair unbrushed?

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:45:16

Calendargirl

Going back to the hair.

Yes, the ‘unbrushed’ look seems to be the norm for Lilibet, along with the bare feet.

When they were in California, I assumed it was meant to emphasise the outdoor, free-and-easy lifestyle they were all enjoying, as opposed to the stilted, buttoned-up one the family back home had to endure.

Now they are back in good old Blighty, however
.

đŸ€·â€â™€ïž

Definitely need shoes here with our pavements covered in chewing gum & quat spitđŸ€ź

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 17:47:37

FriedGreenTomatoes2

She’s loved and happy. She’s a child. Let her be.

Well said, I agree! flowers

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 17:50:14

Dissing a 5 year olds hair and for her running free, on grass, normally in her own back garden, or the beach.

MartavTaurus Sat 26-Sept-26 17:59:42

I think several of us posting here are trying to move this discussion away from any suggestions that the child might be uncared for.
Yes, unkempt hair might be an indicator of neglect, but there are many other far more serious signs that would ring alarm bells than that one thing. In fact a number of children in any one school will have scruffy hair, but they do come from the most caring and loving of families.

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 18:05:47

MartavTaurus

I think several of us posting here are trying to move this discussion away from any suggestions that the child might be uncared for.
Yes, unkempt hair might be an indicator of neglect, but there are many other far more serious signs that would ring alarm bells than that one thing. In fact a number of children in any one school will have scruffy hair, but they do come from the most caring and loving of families.

👍👍 👏👏👏

Norah Sat 26-Sept-26 19:21:30

MT62

That young girl has lovely strawberry, blonde hair.

Yes she does.

paddyann54 Sat 26-Sept-26 19:35:10

A new low for some on here 
she’s a child not a model ,her hair will get tousled .

Usedtobeblonde Sat 26-Sept-26 19:46:26

I posted months ago about Lilibet’s hair and was roundly castigated.
I am still of the same impression, it needs a good brush.

watermeadow Sat 26-Sept-26 19:53:48

It’s apparently the law now that all girls from 3 to 50 must have long loose hair. It covers their eyes and hangs like a fur coat over their backs even in scorching hot weather.
It would look so much nicer and be out of the way if tied back or plaited.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 20:00:41

Usedtobeblonde

I posted months ago about Lilibet’s hair and was roundly castigated.
I am still of the same impression, it needs a good brush.

I remember your post UTBB. smile

Meghan’s hair never looks like her daughter’s, hers is always quite smooth and glossy, either loose, high ponytail, or chignon.

Just seems a bit strange that Lilibet’s is always rather wild.

(And yes, I realise they probably have different hair types, Lili’s must favour Harry’s type).

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 20:59:30

Norah

MT62

That young girl has lovely strawberry, blonde hair.

Yes she does.

It is, one of my daughter's hair was that colour when she was that age but a bit darker, now a darker copper. However, hers is a bit straighter so was easier to brush.

It is fashionable to have it hanging down now but I can see why ours was always in plaits or bunches when we were young!

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 21:01:00

Meghan’s hair never looks like her daughter’s, hers is always quite smooth and glossy, either loose, high ponytail, or chignon.

Perhaps straightened. My granddaughter has just had hers straightened.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 21:14:59

Could well be JenniRen.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 21:21:13

I'm just wincing on Lilibet's behalf every time she has her hair washed!

Start brushing at the bottom, work up slowly.

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 21:21:33

watermeadow

It’s apparently the law now that all girls from 3 to 50 must have long loose hair. It covers their eyes and hangs like a fur coat over their backs even in scorching hot weather.
It would look so much nicer and be out of the way if tied back or plaited.

đŸ€ŁđŸ˜‚đŸ€Ł

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 21:28:39

I had my long hair cut when I was 40, regretted it and grew it.

Got to 50, thought it was time to have a grown up haircut, regretted it.

Went for a bob at 60, long during Covid, shorter after.

Now at 69 hair past shoulders, sometimes naturally curly (wild) sometimes blow dried straight, sometimes up.

Judge me if you want, but please don’t judge a young child for their hair
.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 21:31:36

Do you plait it at overnight?
My daughters and granddaughters do that sometimes, keeps it from getting too wild overnight and it's wavy the next day.

Casdon Sat 26-Sept-26 21:38:50

It’s easy to comb through even long thick tangled hair, if you use a detangling brush and spray, much easier than it was when we were children.

Hithere Sun 27-Sept-26 03:39:49

It is the saddest thing that some posters have nothing better to do than to be bullies to a such a young child.

A child.

All because they do not approve how her hair is not maintained according to their specifications

smh

Usedtobeblonde Sun 27-Sept-26 05:38:43

What a ridiculous statement, bullying a child!!
A simple remark that her hair looks untidy.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 27-Sept-26 06:26:38

DD2 is also a stranger to the hairbrush. Long unruly hair not curly. And she is almost 50.
I loved my grey white covid pony tail. Hated my matted thin awful post chemo hair.
Now have a silver grey bob. Would grow it long again, but washing it and rinsing out would give me bsck ache.

I think Meghans handbags are too designer small to fit a hairbrush in. I expect Lillibet starts out tidy. Maybe Camilla will cut it if they ever baby sit like I read on Mumsnet that some grandmothers have done. World war 3 thst would be,

Maremia Sun 27-Sept-26 07:08:26

It's not a 'simple remark' though is it?
It's targeted at the innocent child of two Marmite parents.

luvlyjubly Sun 27-Sept-26 07:27:40

To help with de-tangling, I recommend applying a heat defence spray onto wet hair before brushing and starting from the lower locks then moving up. It really helps.

Calendargirl Sun 27-Sept-26 08:20:13

Don’t think it’s Meghan’s handbag that is too small to hold a brush that’s a problem.

I assume there is a nanny/au pair/PA constantly about who carries a bag of ‘essentials’.

Flippinheck Sun 27-Sept-26 08:32:11

My g’dtrs, when young, both had long, wavy hair. The need to detangle and tidy ready for school was traumatic for everyone. They’d come home with their hair out of the pony tails, looking as if it had not been brushed for months. This little girl is no different.