Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Little girls' hair

(100 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 11:01:21

I spotted this picture of Harry and Meghan with Lilibet and was shocked at the state of her hair. It looks unwashed and matted. Don't they posses a hairbrush?

Then I saw another little girl (someone I know) whose hair was even worse! 😳

Is this a thing now, to just leave the hair unbrushed?

Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 11:47:07

I've reported it to Gransnet because I'm so puzzled. đŸ€”

Also, I can't find it online so maybe it's been blacklisted by Meghan! I'm pretty sure it's genuine, it was in a newspaper I think. I've seen some of the fake ones and they are mostly on Tik Tok (no surprise there).

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 12:09:24

I’ve seen that picture before.

It was one of a selection that Meghan posted in celebration of Harry’s recent birthday.

Rather gushing wording with it, along the lines of ‘the best husband and father in the world’.

There always seems quite a few of those, not necessarily Royal.

smile

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 12:13:42

Going back to the hair.

Yes, the ‘unbrushed’ look seems to be the norm for Lilibet, along with the bare feet.

When they were in California, I assumed it was meant to emphasise the outdoor, free-and-easy lifestyle they were all enjoying, as opposed to the stilted, buttoned-up one the family back home had to endure.

Now they are back in good old Blighty, however
.

đŸ€·â€â™€ïž

Cossy Sat 26-Sept-26 12:15:22

For goodness sake in my “down” time my hair was never tied back and I had bare feet, as did my children.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:18:32

All our GC are barefooted as soon as it becomes warm indoor and outdoors, as am I.

I know when summer is coming to an end as I look for my slippers and garden shoes, along with hearing our AC constantly telling the GC to put something on your feet if you are going outside.

Calendargirl Sat 26-Sept-26 12:18:51

Cossy

For goodness sake in my “down” time my hair was never tied back and I had bare feet, as did my children.

Bare feet will be a bit chilly in the winter time though.

HowVeryDareYou2 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:22:13

My 3-year-old GD has got curly hair, which stretches down to her waist. It's always clean and put into a ponytail or pigtails, but she pulls out the hair accessories and likes it to be free. As a consequence, it looks untidy - so what? She's a child.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:23:04

Calendargirl

Cossy

For goodness sake in my “down” time my hair was never tied back and I had bare feet, as did my children.

Bare feet will be a bit chilly in the winter time though.

Not in 21st century houses that our family and friends have.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 12:25:39

If the Sussex’s daughter had pristine hair and shiny shoes, no doubt there would be posts along the lines of stop dressing her up, let her be a child

I am not a fan if the Sussex’s however, the constant fault finding on GN is becoming rather tedious I find myself defending them


Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 12:53:52

Personally I haven't constantly been finding fault, but hooray, I've found the picture in this article! It's the one with the big headband and Harry kissing her. You have to watch the video to see the full picture.
www.dailymail.com/news/royals/article-16132131/Meghan-shares-photos-Harry-children-birthday-Britain.html

Shelflife Sat 26-Sept-26 13:40:31

Is Harry kissing his daughter on her lips?
I recognise this is fairly usual but it was always a no no for me.

Oreo Sat 26-Sept-26 13:40:41

I think the little girl just has unruly very long hair tbh.
Very long hair is the latest fad for ‘girls’ of all ages, with no fringe, even when they’d look better with a fringe.😁
Both children have different shades of red hair which shows that red/ ginger hair must come from a dominant gene as Meghan has black hair.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 26-Sept-26 13:43:05

She’s loved and happy. She’s a child. Let her be.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 26-Sept-26 13:44:53

FriedGreenTomatoes2

She’s loved and happy. She’s a child. Let her be.

👍

Redcar Sat 26-Sept-26 14:49:53

My DGDs all have long hair and they all hate having it washed and brushed or combed. So it usually looks untidy.
It’s recommended that long hair is plaited or otherwise tied back when children are at school to prevent the spread of head lice. Especially applies to children in nursery schools, infants and juniors.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 14:55:16

Chestnut

JenniRen

Was it this photo?

Lovely hair but it looks as if it needs a good trim.

Does anyone remember the days when longer hair needed to be tied back or plaited for school? That rule seems to have been abandoned now.

Nope. It was a close up back view, hair hanging down and Harry kissing her.

Long hair really should be tied back for school otherwise there will soon be head lice on board! 🙄

Long hair really should be tied back for school otherwise there will soon be head lice on board! 🙄

I think that was the reasoning.

However, I remember getting headlice at infant school and my hair was tied back. My children got them too even though hair was tied back or very short in the case of a boy!

Children tend to put their heads together to chat and headlice can run quickly from one head to another.

dalrymple23 Sat 26-Sept-26 15:06:18

When I complained that my daughter's daughter (aged about 7) looked as though her hair needed a good brush, I was told that children with very wavy hair can only have that done when it is wet, otherwise it is too painful. No idea - poker straight locks!

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 16:53:36

JenniRen

This one?

Someone has commented "And still no hairbrush!"

Or is that Airbrush? 😂
Doesn’t look real that photo.

JenniRen Sat 26-Sept-26 16:57:20

MT62

JenniRen

This one?

Someone has commented "And still no hairbrush!"

Or is that Airbrush? 😂
Doesn’t look real that photo.

I'm all for airbrushing, particularly as I age!

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:12:13

Oreo

I think the little girl just has unruly very long hair tbh.
Very long hair is the latest fad for ‘girls’ of all ages, with no fringe, even when they’d look better with a fringe.😁
Both children have different shades of red hair which shows that red/ ginger hair must come from a dominant gene as Meghan has black hair.

I would have thought Meghans hair was the dominant gene being black.

Casdon Sat 26-Sept-26 17:14:00

What beautiful hir she has, it will be her crowning glory as a teenager, I love red and auburn hair.

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:18:03

That young girl has lovely strawberry, blonde hair.

Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 17:18:35

So the mystery photo has appeared! Several times.

It just seems to look very matted and neglected. No reflection on the child of course, although my granddaughter loves brushing and styling her own hair which solves that problem at least now and then.

MT62 Sat 26-Sept-26 17:22:19

Casdon

What beautiful hir she has, it will be her crowning glory as a teenager, I love red and auburn hair.

Yes I hate when young red heads dye their hair dark, all the natural roots showing. It’s like they are embarrassed to be different.
I love my red hair. I hope I still have it in my 70s.

Chestnut Sat 26-Sept-26 17:25:41

dalrymple23

When I complained that my daughter's daughter (aged about 7) looked as though her hair needed a good brush, I was told that children with very wavy hair can only have that done when it is wet, otherwise it is too painful. No idea - poker straight locks!

Apparently it depends on the type of hair although where is the line between wavy and curly:

Straight or Wavy Hair Detangle Dry
Why: Straight and fine strands are structurally weaker and more elastic when wet, making them prone to stretching and snapping like a rubber band.
How: Detangle dry hair gently using a soft brush or wide-tooth comb.
Tip: Apply a lightweight detangling spray or conditioning mist first to add slip and reduce friction.

Curly or Coily Hair Detangle Wet
Why: Dry brushing tight curls creates massive friction, frizz, pain, and breakage. Water relaxes the twists and turns.
How: Saturate the hair with a slippery conditioner, deep conditioner, or detangling product while wet or damp before combing.
Tip: Use a flexible wet-safe brush, a wide-tooth comb, or your fingers