Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Airport assistance.

(26 Posts)
Mazgg Thu 17-Sept-26 14:43:13

I'm hoping to visit my daughter in Spain, a trip I have made many times alone. The difference is that I'm walking more slowly now and struggle with stairs. I can climb stairs, albeit slowly but can't cope with the crowd rushing past. I don't want to be put in a wheelchair, that time may come. My local airport hasn't got airbridg facility and there are a lot of stairs down to the tarmac. I can't use the down escalator. Anyone have any advice?

MT62 Thu 17-Sept-26 14:54:51

Mazgg

I'm hoping to visit my daughter in Spain, a trip I have made many times alone. The difference is that I'm walking more slowly now and struggle with stairs. I can climb stairs, albeit slowly but can't cope with the crowd rushing past. I don't want to be put in a wheelchair, that time may come. My local airport hasn't got airbridg facility and there are a lot of stairs down to the tarmac. I can't use the down escalator. Anyone have any advice?

Yes book assistance. They will take you up & down in those lifts in a wheelchair, plus sort your luggage.
Just have to manage to get to your seat & push your case to the assisted area.
If you can just take a handbag on the plane if you are able.
There will be some kind gentleman to help with a case on the plane.
Hope your journey goes smoothly.

MT62 Thu 17-Sept-26 14:56:04

Book through you tour operator I meant to add.

MT62 Thu 17-Sept-26 17:49:25

When you book assistance tell them you can manage the stairs slowly & want to use your stick.
Airport staff will probably take you up on the portable lift to your seat 👍🏻

JamesandJon33 Thu 17-Sept-26 18:14:15

My sister booked assistance at Cardiff airport . Press a button in the car park and a man with a wheel chair was there in seconds. Marvellous service .

MT62 Thu 17-Sept-26 18:27:56

JamesandJon33

My sister booked assistance at Cardiff airport . Press a button in the car park and a man with a wheel chair was there in seconds. Marvellous service .

Gosh that is a good do 😀👍🏻

Retread Thu 17-Sept-26 18:37:11

Mazgg I recently posted the info below on another thread - I've discovered that by law anyone over 60 can request assistance when flying, you do not need a medical reason or GP letter etc. You must register for it when you make your booking.

I'll find the other thread and post it.

Georgesgran Thu 17-Sept-26 18:41:44

This time, DD2 went ‘full Charlie’ for our New York trip - so much better, although she doesn’t like being strapped into an aisle chair to be taken to her seat. She can’t believe she’s struggled and almost crawled to her seat from her wheelchair for years! We’ve also found that with the quick turnaround for planes, it’s getting rarer for assistance to be boarded first, which has created problems in the past. There’s a time and a place for independence.

Full Charlie - is what the airlines call total assistance.

Retread Thu 17-Sept-26 18:43:12

Here you go:

This explains that anyone over the age of 60 can request special assistance at all UK airports, and how to apply for it:

share.google/R4GCza3fa3SIRYum8

Plevey08 Thu 17-Sept-26 19:10:43

Mazgg...I know you've said you don't want a wheelchair,but I don't think you get a choice if you walk slowly. As my friend found out, although able to walk, she is slow. And despite saying to the assistant I'd like to walk. He said I'm afraid I have others to escort too, and we have a limited time to get to departure. So she had to sit and be pushed. The others in the group were able to keep u. I think some had hidden disabilities. So not sure you'll be given a choice.

Tenko Thu 17-Sept-26 20:26:37

My uncle had SA on a flight to Ireland . He’s very mobile but gets easily confused, so my cousin booked it for him . She took him to the SA lounge at Gatwick which is landside and he went on the buggy for , passport control and security and then to the gate . At Cork those who could walk waited for the buggy

Cossy Thu 17-Sept-26 20:33:12

The buggies are amazing. First and only time was at Malaga earlier in the year.

How I wish I’d done it for Canada last year.

Nandalot Thu 17-Sept-26 20:48:48

I find stairs very difficult and walking the sort of distances that are required in airports. Last time we flew to see my son and family in Spain, my husband and daughter insisted I get assistance. It was the best thing I did. I could not have managed without. I felt embarrassed about the thought of using it, but didn’t regret it once I did.

Patsy70 Thu 17-Sept-26 20:57:22

My sister booked assistance from Exeter to Malaga/return. It worked perfectly.

Macaydia Thu 17-Sept-26 23:21:48

I think you do want to ride in a wheelchair because it is easy and efficient. Your ego wants to struggle with a cane. Put the ego stick in your lap and take the wheeled throne like a princess. It is much better than falling and being taken by an ambulance.

Catterygirl Fri 18-Sept-26 00:07:38

I walk slowly and struggle with stairs. I find the buggy so high to get into. I damaged my arthritic knee on earlier trips, spoiling my whole holiday. The buggy is too high for someone who doesn’t manage steps easily. Last time I parked my bum, just about, on the seat and swivelled around, saving any pressure on my knee.

Mazgg Fri 18-Sept-26 07:43:43

Thank you all for your comments. I will book assistance when booking my flight. The YouTube video was particularly good and informative.

granfromafar Fri 18-Sept-26 13:58:42

Retread

Here you go:

This explains that anyone over the age of 60 can request special assistance at all UK airports, and how to apply for it:

share.google/R4GCza3fa3SIRYum8

Thanks for posting this link. Very useful, and I have discovered that a free sunflower assistance lanyard is available for my OH at the special assistance desk at all major airports. I was just about to order one online, so thus has saved be money. Thanks 😊

Greciangirl Fri 18-Sept-26 14:20:26

Yes, definitely book assistance.
I had it this year on a trip to Spain from Stansted.

You don’t have to worry about a thing.

I must say, it did seem unreal being pushed through the airport, but I was grateful as usually I get lost.

Choosing not to use them is foolish.
Especially as you have some disability.

Milest0ne Fri 18-Sept-26 14:34:30

At Heathrow I was pushed in a wheelchair between flights with very short transfer time. The lady pushing me was determined to get me there on time. She shouted "Coming Through" and people scattered to let us through. We made it. Great Fun.

Literarylover Fri 18-Sept-26 15:50:26

My recently booked assistance at Palma airport did not materialise. I was lucky as my husband was with me and, after he found me a seat, he managed to find a wheelchair at the other end of the airport. I don't know how I would have managed if I'd been alone. I believe airport staff were on a work to rule but no one notified me of this.

MT62 Fri 18-Sept-26 15:58:31

Plevey08

Mazgg...I know you've said you don't want a wheelchair,but I don't think you get a choice if you walk slowly. As my friend found out, although able to walk, she is slow. And despite saying to the assistant I'd like to walk. He said I'm afraid I have others to escort too, and we have a limited time to get to departure. So she had to sit and be pushed. The others in the group were able to keep u. I think some had hidden disabilities. So not sure you'll be given a choice.

Yes I agree, just get a chair & be done with it. It’s only for a few hours each way.
Although in Spain they do ask are you able to walk.

Bigred18 Fri 18-Sept-26 16:42:26

I arrived into Heathrow Terminal 5 today, and couldn't believe how far it was to international arrivals. I finally grabbed a trolley, so I'd recommend you take advantage of any help available.

Cath9 Fri 18-Sept-26 21:28:45

Is there a lift

David49 Sat 19-Sept-26 08:32:30

If you are in a wheelchair they will get you in the plane even if a lifting platform is needed to get to the door, book in advance and double check.
My aunt used it, just take them your flight they will get you there, no hassle no confusion.