Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bake Off

(19 Posts)
Mattsmum2 Tue 06-Oct-26 21:14:52

What the? Wearable bakes? Someone is taking the you know what. Was enjoying, well apart from NL, the show up til now. Thoughts?

Tizliz Tue 06-Oct-26 21:59:42

It is Mad Hatter day 😆

aggie Tue 06-Oct-26 22:05:56

It’s all very contrived now
I missed the+start so was surprised to see extra people !
What was that all about ?

Charleygirl5 Tue 06-Oct-26 23:14:46

I watched very little of it, I just didn't like it.

Sarnia Tue 06-Oct-26 23:19:51

It made a change to have viewers week. I don't think they will have that exact format again as Paul wasn't impressed with relatives coming in. I thought Clara deserved Star Baker as her handbag was very realistic. Shannon was the right one to go home. Molly next possibly. I was never a huge fan of Nigella but she's just right for this show. Always tries to find something positive and constructive to say.

twiglet77 Tue 06-Oct-26 23:48:02

It was too daft to bother with, I’d rather watch “Is It Cake?” on Netflix for that kind of stunt.

I did watch part of the first two episodes to see how Nigella fitted in, but I just can’t bear Alison Hammond. At least the insufferably silly girl left last week, but I can’t warm to any of the current contestants and won’t watch the rest of tis series.

JdotJ Wed 07-Oct-26 13:46:54

I really like Nigella, didn't think I would but the show itself is not as good as it once was.
What happened to the good old traditional bakes.
It is called the Great British Bake Off after all
Not Cake off.

Its getting silly and is not being taken seriously by a lot of the contestants (in my opinion).

Parsley3 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:00:49

Wearable bakes was just silly. Stop messing with the format and get on with it.
And tell Nigella not to speak with her mouth full of cake. Apart from that I am actually enjoying it.

Knitter43 Wed 07-Oct-26 14:47:37

I think this show has run its course. I really enjoyed the first few years and there were some talented bakers but now it's just silly and even Nigella can't save it. I'm giving up watching it.

spabbygirl Wed 07-Oct-26 16:21:22

I love Nigella but loathed Prue, she just seemed so tense and severe. Nigella brings a lightness & even makes Paul smile!!

I thought having the family in didn't work, the scene was just a bit too chaotic. I also thought the right 2 went home last week & this week. I thought the 1st girl was a bit too silly & Shannon didn't particularly put much effort into hers so she deserved to go home

Clara really did deserve star baker, her bag was fab!!!

ginny Wed 07-Oct-26 16:37:04

Yes, wearables was a silly idea and wasteful. Who wants to eat cake that has been around someone else’s body.
I seem to be the exception to the rule. I don’t mind Alison but can’t stand ‘butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth ‘ Nigella.

Babamaman Wed 07-Oct-26 17:09:36

Don’t like it anymore! It’s all about the presenters! Mrs pucker lips and mr blue eyes and the other two clowns???? Nah not a good show. It’s tired and should be scrapped

tattygran14 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:19:42

A first for me, I emailed Ofcom. And I won’t be watching Bake off again either. Enough, un funny, and unnecessary smut.

Nanny27 Wed 07-Oct-26 18:18:46

Used to love Bakeoff but this series is definitely not shaping up well. I like Nigella, love the obvious enjoyment she seems to get from cake but the bit with relatives seemed pointless and bearable cake just plain daft.
I quite like the last challenge when they had to design and bake a cake from set ingredients.

Bukkie Wed 07-Oct-26 23:07:18

ginny

Yes, wearables was a silly idea and wasteful. Who wants to eat cake that has been around someone else’s body.
I seem to be the exception to the rule. I don’t mind Alison but can’t stand ‘butter wouldn’t melt in my mouth ‘ Nigella.

I like Alison too. I remember her on Big Brother back in the day when I watched it and find her naturally funny and a breath of fresh air. I like Noel too even though I had never heard of him before GBBO. The only person I have ever disliked on the programme is the sanctimonious, patronising, thoroughly unlikeable Mary Berry.

monami Thu 08-Oct-26 08:41:52

If I want to watch baking i will stand inside Greggs

TwiceAsNice Thu 08-Oct-26 08:51:20

We have been watching it. I didn’t think I’d like Nigella but I actually do. The relatives thing was pointless , it won’t happen again Paul obviously loathed it. So glad the silly girl went the first week she was so annoying !

We will keep going for the moment , less silliness more proper baking I hope

Samsara1 Thu 08-Oct-26 12:10:59

I started watching bake off as I wanted to learn more about techniques and methods. I don't think I get that from this programme now. The presenters announce what they are setting as a challenge and show an example but I would like to see more of the action as a technique is attempted.
Much to my surprise I quite like Nigella in this. I didn't like all the gastro porn in her own programmes.

ginny Thu 08-Oct-26 19:27:48

Have any of you watched the follow up , ‘Second Helpings.?
I used to really enjoy ‘Extra slice’ but this new one is very lacklustre and boring.