Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

"Winter"

(30 Posts)
Clawdy Thu 01-Oct-26 13:37:28

Anyone watching? Found it intriguing and rather different. I did guess the fiancée twist though.

Calendargirl Thu 01-Oct-26 13:42:26

Yes, I watched it.

Didn’t think the DI seemed very credible in her part, and of course, she will obviously fancy Winter as her own DH looks to be having an affair, her kids are brattish, and her home life looks miserable.

And of course, dishy Winter has his own heartache.

But I shall keep watching.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-26 13:46:50

I thought it was a load of tosh!

I won’t say why as it would be a spoiler (in other words, all of it)?

MollyNew Thu 01-Oct-26 13:51:57

The script was a bit clunky and it was strange the way Winter talked to the frozen body of the victim but we now have all the backstories - the DI, daughter of a well known Met cop, moving to Bristol with a shifty looking husband and unhappy teenaged children who didn't want to move. Winter, the maverick genius whose journalist fiancee was murdered in suspicious circumstances and who seems to have a good recipe for overnight oats. Plus the DI's sergeant who has a few funny lines and knows every criminal in town.

It's easy to watch so I'll probably stick with it.

tanith Thu 01-Oct-26 14:25:30

I liked it just quirky enough to hold my attention for now.

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 14:47:02

We watched it, quite enjoyable as fiction, although far-fetched and so full of inaccuracies that it was annoying.

As it was supposedly set in the Bristol area, we looked out for areas of interest but, apart from the Suspension Bridge, there didn't appear to be any.
Then I read that it's filmed in Belgium!

Happygirl79 Thu 01-Oct-26 17:05:20

Im enjoying it. A bit different. It reminds me of the film ' River ' and a bit like Silent Witness but much better.

BlueBelle Thu 01-Oct-26 17:49:52

Did watch it, jury’s out at the moment I wasn’t delighted with it I wasn’t gagging for the next episode, I was a bit bored in places In other words it didn’t grip me at all, but sometimes they warm up (sometimes they don’t)
Time will tell

Calendargirl Thu 01-Oct-26 17:54:01

And the usual excuse BlueBelle, ‘well, there’s not much else on’.

smile

BlueBelle Thu 01-Oct-26 17:56:20

Indeed there isn’t Calendargirl so worth a try

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-26 18:05:07

Happygirl79

Im enjoying it. A bit different. It reminds me of the film ' River ' and a bit like Silent Witness but much better.

Silent Witness is classy compared to this. 😂

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-26 18:06:33

Not the cut and thrust of similar programmes, but enjoyable enough.

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 19:52:12

merlotgran

Happygirl79

Im enjoying it. A bit different. It reminds me of the film ' River ' and a bit like Silent Witness but much better.

Silent Witness is classy compared to this. 😂

But just as ridiculous and far-fetched!

(And I'd rather watch Richard Armitage)

sodapop Thu 01-Oct-26 21:20:10

Barely credible story line, mediocre acting. I'll watch the next episode to see if it improves but don't hold out much hope.

Floradora9 Thu 01-Oct-26 21:32:34

It got terrible reviews in both papers I read to-day .

suelld Fri 02-Oct-26 14:18:13

I quite enjoyed it, but anyone else get flashes of Déjà vu ?
Maybe because it reminds me of the Italian ‘Ice Cold Murder’ series where the lead detective talks to his dead wife all the time, at home only just like this.
So the second Winter said ‘ Will you stay” or similar I knew she was a phantom!
I watch a lot of crime fiction, foreign especially and much prefer ‘Astrid…’ in French to the uk version Patience!
I wonder how similar to Rocco in ‘ ICM’ winter will turn out to be? Still just enjoying looking ar Richard Armitage for an hour is pleasant. And we all know the DI’s husband is up to no good already!😎

suelld Fri 02-Oct-26 14:20:24

MollyNew

The script was a bit clunky and it was strange the way Winter talked to the frozen body of the victim but we now have all the backstories - the DI, daughter of a well known Met cop, moving to Bristol with a shifty looking husband and unhappy teenaged children who didn't want to move. Winter, the maverick genius whose journalist fiancee was murdered in suspicious circumstances and who seems to have a good recipe for overnight oats. Plus the DI's sergeant who has a few funny lines and knows every criminal in town.

It's easy to watch so I'll probably stick with it.

Exactly MollyNew…🤔😁

DrWatson Fri 02-Oct-26 14:52:38

For Calendar & Blue, and "not much else on", just in that Weds slot there were :- Scotland's Golden Coast, & The Human Body - Secrets of Your Life.

Also the Food Channel had 'Paul Hollywood, City Bakes', and elsewhere (Prof) Alice Roberts was showing 'Our Hospital Through Time'.

Drama Channel has the new series of the excellent 'Chelsea Detective', (Weds & Thursdays), and we have 20 or 30 recorded shows - some from weeks ago - that we struggle to find time to watch!

Talking Pictures channel for one has lots of old films - often quite rare - that we tend to record for a later view (some are at weird times, just scan the guide!). Last night (Thurs) they had 'The Proud and the Profane', with William Holden and the always watchable Deborah Kerr, with distinct similarities to the famous 'From Here to Eternity'. And in the next few days you could catch 'The Third Man', if you've never seen that classic. Etc etc.

JenniRen Fri 02-Oct-26 15:00:26

Mostly repeats, DrWatson ☹

grandMattie Fri 02-Oct-26 15:04:44

The crits weren’t particularly flattering, but didn’t pan it. I might watch.

62Granny Fri 02-Oct-26 15:09:03

I enjoyed, I guessed the ending but I don't mind that as it will continue over the next few episodes. I never liked silent witness I watched a few of the early episodes and I always thought the scenes were too dark and they mumbled , you could not hear or see anything.

Olivebranch Fri 02-Oct-26 15:41:35

Yes, poor comments but I thought it was better than the reviews which were not happy with him talking to a corpse. But rather odd feel to it— had a foreign feel, and we can see the plots coming. Some good twists- maybe less is more for twists.
Also why do programmes always have music backgrounds now? Usually strange ones.

Samsara1 Fri 02-Oct-26 15:54:35

I liked it but I did nod off for a bit. I shall watch the next one and try to stay awake.

flump Fri 02-Oct-26 16:37:12

I'll watch some more and see how it goes. The talking to the corpse part reminded me of the policeman in 'The Brokenwood Mysteries' who does the same thing. I think it is done out of respect for the victims and shows some empathy.

Barbadosbelle Fri 02-Oct-26 16:43:21

.

I watched on the strength of Richard Armitage being in it, and the Bristol setting.

I was just tucking into a tray supper when RA cut into a dead woman's chest and pulled both sides back!
NOOOOO!

Over to 'Colin from Accounts' for some fun.

'Silent Witness' scenarios just aren't my thing. Would keep me awake at night.

And to compound the disappointment, it might have been set in Bristol but it was filmed in Belguim!!!
.