Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The WARGAME series SKY1

(11 Posts)
Bea65 Mon 21-Sept-26 12:52:40

Have just seen Penny Mordaunt interview on Sky news so have now started to watch the series …Michael Gove, Nicola Sturgeon and Harriet Harman are all key players…

Anyone else watching.

Bea65 Mon 21-Sept-26 17:48:42

You can also view via NOW

Bea65 Tue 22-Sept-26 14:02:08

Soo is it fear that no one watches or the players involved ..
Am very surprised that no one had commented as this is our reality ??

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Sept-26 18:21:26

I watched it.

Makes very uncomfortable watching

travelsafar Sat 26-Sept-26 12:50:34

Totally absorbing but i was disappointed there was no episode 5 showing the aftermath. It went to real life and I lost interest in it.

Bea65 Sat 26-Sept-26 13:37:43

I think there are several episodes…
It is uncomfortable viewing about the unstable situation and pending global events

Doodledog Sun 27-Sept-26 21:25:39

It's chilling, but it did seem like a propaganda exercise to soften us up for more taxes to pay for defence. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing, but was less than subtle in its message.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sept-26 03:08:51

Yes I agree, but it is a conversation that the nation needs to have.

It is generally agreed that the world is in a much more precarious position, than the time of Cuba, and thst prompted a massive amount of interest from the general population right through to the end of the Cold War.

I find myself that my position has changed though. I was a supporter of CND and unilateral disarmament, but now I think that mad saved us from war over the years. Not st all sure where we are heading now though.

Doodledog Mon 28-Sept-26 06:25:31

Yes, me too, WWM.

I’m not arguing against upping the defence budget, or against trying to increase the ‘resilience’ of the population, whether that takes the form of a return to values of collective responsibility (financial or practical), or of a willingness to accept that feeling scared or sad is not a reason to expect to be excused duties that others have to undertake.

I suspect that those things may have been deliberately undermined to weaken our position, and they should be restored anyway. Look at the cynicism about preparing for an unspecified emergency. So many people expect that others will do the work and they will somehow be provided for if the shops are closed and there’s no power. We have become very entitled as a society, which weakens us massively.

All I am saying is that I found the programme rather didactic in its approach. I haven’t seen all of the final episode, as I’m away and my internet connection isn’t great, so keeps cutting out, but yes, we need to have the discussion - about finance, ‘resilience’ and disinformation. I have banged on for ages about the way so many people trot out media-initiated phrases and sound bites. We have, as a society, become very easily led, and I find that as scary as our military unpreparedness. I am pleased the PM is setting up a unit to countermand it.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 28-Sept-26 07:37:03

Well, maybe part of the programmes’ aim was to inform? Rather like those programmes we watched like Threads? Tbh there was quite a lot of information I learned from it. Mostly how unprepared we are.

Bea65 Mon 28-Sept-26 14:46:48

Whitewavemark2

Well, maybe part of the programmes’ aim was to inform? Rather like those programmes we watched like Threads? Tbh there was quite a lot of information I learned from it. Mostly how unprepared we are.

Yes WWM believe we are totally unprepared….

Apparently we have more migrants coming in than we have military…that’s very scary…