Great thread as I’m due to stay in a cottage in Eyam for a few days soon 😀 looking forward to it
Hegseth wants to livestream execution !
Sign up to Gransnet Daily
Our free daily newsletter full of hot threads, competitions and discounts
Subscribe
DH and I have just returned from a week in the Peak District. The scenery was just as breathtaking as I hoped it would be. We made the most of our trip: Chester Zoo (cutest baby chimp), heart-attack inducing climb up Mam Tor, beautiful walk through Padley Gorge, a visit to Poole's Cavern (waste of £40), and incredible views from Soloman's Temple. But I had to chuckle (and resist myself) when, on a visit to Chatsworth House, I saw a bust of Mr Darcy (played by Matthew McFadyen) with a sign that read "Please do not kiss" 🙂
Great thread as I’m due to stay in a cottage in Eyam for a few days soon 😀 looking forward to it
I am lucky enough live in the city that borders the Dark Peak National Park. Many of the journeys I make every week have such beautiful views of distant moorland that you just want to forget where you’re going and keep on driving until you get there! Most of the places you mention - the Longshaw Estate, Padley, Mam Tor, Chatsworth - are a half hour drive at most. It has been my stamping ground since childhood and I hope to go on enjoying it for a while yet, though the glorious gritstone edges, Mam Tor and the Great Ridge are beyond me now. I fly fished at Ladybower for years and still enjoy a walk along its banks. You can’t put a price on it.
We had a flat in Tideswell for few years and loved it but we didn't use it enough so sold it.
I have lived in the Peak District since 1966.I taught for many years in the plague village of Eyam.It’s a lovely area to live and bring up a family.We have been very lucky.
WithNobsOnIt** we went for 6 days so we tried to see/do as much as possible. Still feel like we missed loads. But definitely not fit! The ascent up Mam Tor nearly killed us (we're in our early 60's)
I loved the Speedwell Caverns as a child. (Flood caverns with low tunnels that you go round in a boat). Has anyone been recently? Are they still good?
Oh this is getting weird…. Warmglovesandsocks I lived all my childhood in Codnor, then Heanor until we moved up here in 1968.
You sound like an advert for the local tourism office. And you must be very healthy, fit and energetic to have seen and done all you did
But glad you enjoyed it. This area is often overlooked because of the popularity of the Lake District. The two areas are quite different in character.
I live in a City not too far from the Peak district. So a visit to the Peak District is really just an afternoon out for us.
If you visit again try and see the Blue John Mines with it's famous jewellery stones. Although technically just outside the Peak District Chesterfield with it's crooked spire is worth a visit and Hardwick Hall is a gem. Beautiful building and Bess of Hardwick
GrandmaKT
Ooh, reading these posts with interest! My DS and his family are visiting from New Zealand next May. I have booked a house in Ashover, near Matlock, where we can have a few days with them and with my other DS and his family. Any recommendations of places to go with 4 GC aged 5-13? I know my Kiwi DIL will love to see Chatsworth!
If they like cycling there are several cycling trails where you can hire bikes.
There are lots of activities and interesting places to visit for children and adults alike.
peakdistrictkids.co.uk/days-out-peak-district/
The National Trust Museum of Childhood is nearby as are the Heights of Abraham.
Usedtobeblonde
KnittyNannie I am in Hazel Grove. Just near Torkington Park.
I walk my dog most days in Torkington park - it’s beautiful 😍
Me too Used To Be Blond. I lived in Ripley Derbyshire for about 40 years.
Ooh, reading these posts with interest! My DS and his family are visiting from New Zealand next May. I have booked a house in Ashover, near Matlock, where we can have a few days with them and with my other DS and his family. Any recommendations of places to go with 4 GC aged 5-13? I know my Kiwi DIL will love to see Chatsworth!
Orangutans at Chester Zoo fascinated me. The Peak District never failed to offer pleasure and beauty over the many times DH and I visited.
Gaping Gill is in Yorkshire though
Just a little tip if you’re thinking of seeing the area.
Stay in the Novotel Hotel in Sheffield, just a stones throw from the train station.
It has a gym and a pool. The staff are brilliant and so are the rooms.
Then get a bus for a day trip to Matlock which costs nothing with a bus pass.
Plenty of other interesting places on the bus route too.
We did this back in August. Absolutely brilliant.
Two weeks ago we stayed in Bakewell which we love and visits, the plague village plus walked the Monsal Trail ! One of our favourite areas after Northumberland 👍
Ok Dr Watson, I missed out the word ‘for’ the lads as with your thx!
Actually, I still enjoy hills as I was on the top of a hill when I typed the last message.
As we had to move from Kent to Manchester it was while exploring the region we found Style Park on a day it was deep with snow. I will never forget my horror when watching our oldest son, then aged 5yrs of age, tearing down a slope in the park head first on a toboggan. The following year we found a better area for tobogganing off the road to Sheffield where the snow used to be up to my thighs.
KnittyNannie I am in Hazel Grove. Just near Torkington Park.
Cath9
Reminds me of the amount of walks we enjoyed in the Peak District.
I loved the walk along a small stream then up a waterfall before reaching a huge open land near to the cave called Gaping Gil where there were friendly sheep. The scenery was fantastic and where even an ice cream can managed to drive into some of the open land ready our lads when on our return to the car.
Eh up duck, them ship's friendly cos they're after yer icecream! They enna daft.
If anyone is thinking of going, the Original Bakewell Pudding Shop is worth a visit.
Usedtobeblonde: I used to live close to Lyme Park, in High Lane. Your post brings back memories!
Thx to the OP, though Chester Zoo is quite a trek from the 'Peak District' (& Chester is great on its own!).
We had a short break in Buxton, years ago, it was Easter . . .and it snowed! But given a bit of luck with weather - as ever in the UK -- it's great, very scenic.
Thx Cath, I got the gist, but the "ice crean can . . . . .ready our lads . . ." was a tough last sentence?!
Reminds me of the amount of walks we enjoyed in the Peak District.
I loved the walk along a small stream then up a waterfall before reaching a huge open land near to the cave called Gaping Gil where there were friendly sheep. The scenery was fantastic and where even an ice cream can managed to drive into some of the open land ready our lads when on our return to the car.
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join the discussion, watch threads and lots more.
Register now »Already registered? Log in with:
Gransnet »Get our top conversations, latest advice, fantastic competitions, and more, straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.