You're right there, willow, I bought an illuminated magnifying mirror on line but once I'd recovered from the shock thought better of it I returned it and bought one with no light on it. But even so I only use it when I feel strong really need to
I have a Boots one too which swivels - one side is normal the other quite high magnification. I find it fine for anything requiring pulling out or seeing hairs in my eyes when my lenses hurt although I try not to look in it too often
I have a very good dressing table mirror ( but not lighted) however the reverse side magnifies by zillions ( you have to be careful looking into it, the shock you know.)
Not helpful to you, I know, but I have a bathroom mirror with a row of light bulbs either side, like a Hollywood dressing room. A friend of mine once called it "the suicide mirror" because of the shock it gave her when she stayed with me!
A beauty therapist once told me that the worst thing you can do is look at your skin through a magnifier and it is best to use as natural a light as possible.
I'm watching this thread as I want one too - - I saw one in a hotel recently with a magnified ( zillions of times) circle at the bottom of the mirror and I had a shock at what my skin really looked like after the dark bedroom and bathroom in my cottage.
Can any of you lovely ladies recommend a decent illuminated make-up mirror to go on my dressing table please? The one I've had for years, which I bought in the USA when we were on holiday, has just died on me and I'm lost without it! I need a bright light, preferably LED, as the light in our bedroom is so bad, and strong magnification (x10?) so I can see to make up without my glasses! Any suggestions would be gratefully received.