Gransnet forums

Site stuff

Listening to Gransnet Posts

(12 Posts)
OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 09:29:35

On my android phone, if l highlight the posted text l get a tab which gives me various options, one is "Read Aloud" and the post read to me.

Phone sound can also be set to send directly to your hearing aids should that be helpful.

Just thought this may be useful for some with sight challenges.

Graphite Thu 01-Oct-26 09:34:13

I was having a grumble on another thread about how this site fails miserably on accessibility standards for web design so it's good to know that there is adaptive technology that can assist.

OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 09:40:01

Screenshot showing "Read Aloud" tab

OldFrill Thu 01-Oct-26 09:41:33

I think there is a lot of adaptive technology available, it's finding it that's the problem. I tend to stumble across it.

Graphite Thu 01-Oct-26 09:51:30

I use a Mac which has in-built Read & Speak which you switch on through the System Settings.

There's also Voice Over - Command + F5.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 01-Oct-26 11:28:26

I have an android phone but don't know how to highlight text

Graphite Thu 01-Oct-26 11:37:01

You should be able to touch, hold and drag. Or tap shift and drag the keyboard key. Does that work?

teabagwoman Thu 01-Oct-26 11:56:14

Thanks for the info OldFrill like you I tend to stumble across things or someone like you is kind enough to point it out.

Cossy Thu 01-Oct-26 11:57:16

Thank you thanks

AskAlice Thu 01-Oct-26 13:27:57

It works on the desktop site as well, I've just discovered. On my Chromebook I can highlight the text, right click on my mouse and a "listen" option will come up. Thank you Old Frill!

MiniMoon Thu 01-Oct-26 13:39:17

Elusivebutterfly, to highlight text, place your finger on the first word and drag it along the line of text. It should show up blue. A list will appear either above or below your highlighted text, with cut copy etc. Select the one you want, and Bob's your uncle.

Elusivebutterfly Fri 02-Oct-26 11:40:27

Thank you Minimoon but that does not work for me.
Graphite sorry but I have no idea how to do that.
Luckily I have no reason to want to listen to Gransnet. I am not bad at things on the laptop, but find the phone much more difficult.