I think it's allright to put broken pottery in landfill. DD1 lives near an old dump that has been transformed into woodland. She has great fun finding old bits of broken pottery.
Similarly, I had an allotment on the edge of Port Meadow in Oxford. It was a municipal tip in Victorian times, I believe. People were always digging up old glass and pottery, some of it quite valuable in historical terms.
It takes patience as well - I usually can't be bothered to clean out things like baked bean tins, empty oil bottles, mayonnaise jars etc so just put them in the non-recyclable bin. I once asked the man at the local refuse place what happens to non-recyc stuff and he said it gets burnt at a giant incineration place. So that causes air pollution. Does anyone know what to do with broken china and pottery?
I wish there were some projects that could make use of things like plastic bottles I know some people knit mats with plastic bags I m just not very clever at thinking things up
It's complicated, isn't it, and made worse by the fact that different councils can/can't recycle different things.
I think it is high time there was more standardisation, and more legislation to reduce non-recyclable packaging. Then manufacturers could make it quite clear on their packaging if it was recyclable, knowing that it applied a cross the country.
An article in the Times the other week made me realise that I put things in the recycling bin that I shouldn't and threw away other things that are recyclable. I still can't work out which plastic items I should leave the caps on; which plastic bags can be recycled [some bread bags eg] I wish manufacturers would make it much clearer. Our favourite fish and chip shop is switching from polystyrene boxes to cardboard ones. I've always tried to recycle as much as possible but I'm going to try even harder in future.