Gransnet forums

Relationships

Words of wisdom from literary gransnetters

(19 Posts)
Sillymoo Thu 08-Oct-26 16:47:47

Lots more here...
www.rockmywedding.co.uk/wedding-planning/wedding-readings-ideas

Enid101 Thu 08-Oct-26 16:34:02

Another vote here for The Alchemist. Paulo Coelho has also written some beautiful poems which might suit too.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 08-Oct-26 16:23:22

A little late to the party, I'd like to add the Apache wedding wishes to your list of potentials. I love it.

granbabies123 Thu 08-Oct-26 14:44:09

I read He's not perfect by Bob Marley and ourson and daughter in laws wedding. It brought a little laughter and a little thought to everyone.

Grannyjacq1 Thu 08-Oct-26 10:54:29

Thank you for all your inspirational suggestions. I knew I could rely on you to come up with ideas. Now to decide which to use .... in consultation with the happy couple, of course! Thank you all.

Gmax3 Thu 08-Oct-26 03:40:59

I adore Sago's excerpt from The Alchemist.

WithNobsOnIt Wed 07-Oct-26 18:32:28

Although this poem became a bit of a cliche years back due to American students.

I still think it is a wonderful poem about love

E.E. Cummings
I carry your heart with me.

I carry your heart with me (I carry it in my heart)
I am never without it (anywhere
I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

I fear no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet)
I want no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

Here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

I carry your heart (I carry it in my heart)

DamaskRose Wed 07-Oct-26 17:52:23

I read Shakespeare’s sonnet 116. It has proved so apt during their marriage which has not been without its challenges.

JamesandJon33 Wed 07-Oct-26 17:25:12

One of my favourite sayings is ‘ A storm always runs out of rain eventually ‘.

Applegran Wed 07-Oct-26 16:59:31

I read The Cloths of Heaven at my son's wedding and struggled not to cry - but was successful! A beautiful and moving poem.

Coconut Wed 07-Oct-26 14:41:30

That’s not very legible. If you go on Pinterest you can find lots of variations of this if you put “once in a lifetime” in the search bar

Coconut Wed 07-Oct-26 14:29:13

I read this at my eldest son’s wedding, hope you can read my writing ! It’s called “once in a lifetime”

Sago Wed 07-Oct-26 09:00:18

I read this at our sons wedding, it is from our sons favourite book, he reads it every year.

The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho

When he looked into her eyes, he learned the most important part of the language that all the world spoke — the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love. Something older than humanity, more ancient than the desert. What the boy felt at that moment was that he was in the presence of the only woman in his life, and that, with no need for words, she recognized the same thing. Because when you know the language, it’s easy to understand that someone in the world awaits you, whether it’s in the middle of the desert or in some great city. And when two such people encounter each other, the past and the future become unimportant. There is only that moment, and the incredible certainty that everything under the sun has been written by one hand only. It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world. Without such love, one’s dreams would have no meaning.

nanna8 Wed 07-Oct-26 01:06:44

I love ‘The Cloths of Heaven’,too but it does make me feel sad for some reason . I suppose I tend to think of Irish suffering in the past.

NotSpaghetti Wed 07-Oct-26 00:34:15

www.clearwell-castle.co.uk/blog/readings-long-term-couples/?hl=en-GB

Just found this whilst looking for something I remembered from Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
It is in this link but I think when I read it once before it was perhaps cut a little.

OldFrill Wed 07-Oct-26 00:06:46

Sheena Blackhall "A Wedding Toast" especially if there's a Scottish connection.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 06-Oct-26 23:57:21

There is the Pam Ayers poem. I Do yes I Do. That’s if you want a really funny one.
Or there is the W.B Yeats poem The Cloths of Heaven. I love it and it not too long.

Franski Tue 06-Oct-26 22:30:47

Leo Marks, "the life that I have"..?

Grannyjacq1 Tue 06-Oct-26 19:32:43

Can anyone come up with any non-cheesy, non-religious readings - poetry or prose -to be read at the wedding of son and partner - together for over 20 years and with 2 children? I've looked at various internet sites, but so far nothing that fits the situation.