Alison 24/7. My heart goes out to you. I have been estranged from my DIL for seven months. She tried to discredit DH and me to our son by telling him malicious lies (e.g we 'bullied and intimidated' her etc - I could go on and on......). DH and I are quiet, mild mannered people in our 70's and there is no way we would ever have put the relationship with our gorgeous only GC in jeopardy by doing the things we have been accused of. Fortunately, our son does not believe our DIL but of course that has put a strain on their relationship. I am very fortunate (and indeed very very grateful) that DS brings our DGC to visit us. Because she was angry with DS for not believing her lies, DIL decided to cut herself off from us. If I'm honest, DH and I can never trust her again and feel it better for our health (and sanity!) if the estrangement continues - strange as that may seem to some people!
It seems to me that there is now a generation of young women out there who feel it's perfectly OK to sideline their inlaws on a whim, insult and lie about them. I have had a great relationship with My MIL for over 40 years. Yes, there has been the odd tense moment and the odd cross word but she is my children's grandmother and I would be mortified if I ever thought I had upset her. Nowadays, it's apparently OK to be a complete bitch and get away with it without a backward glance. Sad. Alyson, could you try little by little, to get your son to understand just how much you are hurting, how much you miss your little granddaughter and that you would love it if he could bring her to visit for an hour or two one weekend. That really isn't too much to ask. Failing that, perhaps you could write a note (not email) to your DIL saying you miss your grandaughter and ask if you can 'pop over' for a short visit at a time convenient tomthe family.
Just wonder what the hell is going on with these DIL's...