Jaxjacky
Primrose53
It’s all gone quiet now but originally students were saying they were fed up with overcrowded classes due to the large number of immigrant kids in French schools.
Whete was this please? Can’t find the info in any French news or papers. Thanks
I guess it's possible to see a connection because the protests started in a run down, immigrant heavy area of Paris. I think the population of Créteil is over 25% immigrant.
Inevitably, these districts have a chronic shortage of experienced teachers. The inexperienced, newly qualified teachers are often plonked in difficult schools, then go sick or leave due to stress, so class sizes rise.
It's very difficult to become a teacher in a lycée in France, due to the point system. You have to spend 5 years training after which time the pay is poor too. You cannot freely choose the exact public lycée where you work in France, so it's very tough as you can be placed anywhere. In Créteil, for example, a lot of the staff are temporary contract teachers. I'm not saying they are worse teachers, but they themselves are often foreigners and haven't been through the rigorous French selection.
The whole thing is a bit of a tinderbox situation where a small trigger can set off these massive protests, and I'm sure the fire is then stoked by different politicians with their own agenda.