Gransnet forums

News & politics

Bravery of Israeli passengers on plane

(67 Posts)
Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 07:47:37

Am so impressed by the actions of the Israeli air passengers that stormed the cockpit and incapacitated the Omani co-pilot even as the plane was plummeting downwards, and the passenger who altered the controls before the two pilots travelling on the plane took over.
How frightening for everyone as the plane dropped so far in a minute or so!
Glad the Indian pilot who was stabbed is now described to be in a stable condition.

Sarnia Thu 01-Oct-26 07:54:36

Thank goodness 2 pilots were amongst the passengers.
I have been on a plane that hit a wind pocket and that was scary but to plummet almost vertically, as the BBC News showed, must have been terrifying.
Very pleased everyone has survived, physically anyway.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:09:31

Very brave people who acted selflessly.

nanna8 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:12:00

So lucky with the other pilots on board. Must have been terrifying!

Primrose53 Thu 01-Oct-26 08:43:13

Fantastic stroke of luck those other 2 pilots were on board. Must have been terrifying.

Sago Thu 01-Oct-26 08:56:44

It was a miracle.

Lots of questions now, how are airlines going to vet pilots?

Will all flights have to have air marshalls?

Muslim extremism again making everyone’s lives difficult and changing the way we live.

Basgetti Thu 01-Oct-26 09:02:13

I wonder whether the fact that many of the Israeli passengers would have had military training meant that just kicked in and they acted without thinking?

Remarkable people. Dread to think what could have happened.
So glad the passengers are all safely back home with their families now.

merlotgran Thu 01-Oct-26 09:21:29

Such a terrifying incident. So glad the passengers arrived safely thanks to the courage of those who intervened.

PamelaJ1 Thu 01-Oct-26 09:53:38

Basgetti

I wonder whether the fact that many of the Israeli passengers would have had military training meant that just kicked in and they acted without thinking?

Remarkable people. Dread to think what could have happened.
So glad the passengers are all safely back home with their families now.

The article I read seemed to think that was the case. Quite a high proportion of the passengers would have had military training.
Thank goodness the pilot managed to unlock the door.

Galaxy Thu 01-Oct-26 09:55:17

It was astounding, a different outcome would have had in my view a similar impact to 9/11. I cant imagine the terror. I am always in awe of courage.

JenniRen Thu 01-Oct-26 10:17:47

That must have been terrifying for all on board. Thank goodness for those brave passengers and the fact that two other pilots were travelling on that flight.

How did the co-pilot manage to carry a knife on to the plane? Are air crew not subjected to the same security checks as passengers?

Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 11:29:33

Basgetti

I wonder whether the fact that many of the Israeli passengers would have had military training meant that just kicked in and they acted without thinking?

Remarkable people. Dread to think what could have happened.
So glad the passengers are all safely back home with their families now.

Yes, it’s what I thought, as most men would have perhaps stayed in their seats with their families.Israelis have had a more heightened awareness of danger generally than most people too.
Am also surprised that the pilots were not checked for knives!

Fallingstar Thu 01-Oct-26 11:43:00

Horrifying, just horrifying!!
I imagine Israelis will now be extremely fearful of flying anywhere.
Thoughts are with those who must have been traumatised by this horrible incident.

B9exchange Thu 01-Oct-26 11:55:47

If the stabbed pilot hadn't managed to unlock the door they would all have perished. Surely there needs to be a way found for the door to be easily unlocked from inside, perhaps a panic button on the steering column.

Humbertbear Thu 01-Oct-26 11:56:39

Fallingstar

Horrifying, just horrifying!!
I imagine Israelis will now be extremely fearful of flying anywhere.
Thoughts are with those who must have been traumatised by this horrible incident.

I’m afraid you underestimate Israelis. They all grow up knowing they will have to serve in the IDF in one capacity or another. The young men I know of started fitness training in their early teens so they would be super fit and could get into the elite divisions. It will take more than this incident to stop any Israeli from getting on a plane.

Fallingstar Thu 01-Oct-26 11:58:10

@Oreo
I am also very surprised the pilots were not checked for knives, I mean passengers go through very stringent checks, are we to assume that pilots and cabin staff don’t??

Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 15:37:24

Looks that way Fallingstar or maybe they only get cursory checks, I bet they will be much stricter after this.
It isn’t unknown for a pilot to take a plane down so am very surprised he managed to get a knife on board.
Thank God the passengers foiled this attack and so lucky other pilots were on board.

eazybee Thu 01-Oct-26 15:41:42

What happened to the pilot who did the stabbing?

Oreo Thu 01-Oct-26 15:44:09

The passengers tied him up ‘with his own zip ties’ so maybe he was going to tie up the Indian pilot after stabbing him.
He’s under arrest in Saudi Arabia now I think.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Thu 01-Oct-26 15:48:09

Yaniv Hayun’s actions were extraordinary. Faced with a bloodied cockpit and a plunging aircraft, he did not wait for someone else to solve the problem; he got on with it. That is what courage looks like.

AGAA4 Thu 01-Oct-26 16:33:40

The news is saying too early to say if Iran were involved.
The stabbed pilot has been commended for fighting back and getting the door open to get help.

Terrifying for the passengers but so much bravery from those who prevented a dreadful tragedy.

AGAA4 Thu 01-Oct-26 16:34:39

was involved

Sago Thu 01-Oct-26 18:36:43

It’s surprising such a topical thread hasn’t gained more traffic.

Casdon Thu 01-Oct-26 18:56:29

Very well done to the pilot for having the presence of mind to open the cockpit doors even as he was being stabbed, that was amazing. So lucky that there were other pilots on board, they all saved the lives of everybody due to their bravery. .

Jaxjacky Thu 01-Oct-26 19:38:02

Sago I think there are some with an air of ‘what now’, so much going on in the world.
However, how remarkably brave were those who acted in such a selfless manner.