Gransnet forums

News & politics

This sounds awful … Elderly lady euthanised against her will in Canada

(100 Posts)
BlueBelle Tue 22-Sept-26 15:11:33

*Brigitte Stegemann, an 83-year-old Ontario resident with Stage IV stomach cancer, is currently the focus of widespread international media attention, including major coverage circulating on MSN Canada following her death through Canada's Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) program.Her family, led by her granddaughter and legal power of attorney Brigitte Kranendonk, has publicly alleged that Stegemann was euthanized against her will and without proper consent on July 10, 2026, at a care home in Cannifton, Ontario.Summary of the ControversyPrior Refusal: The family states that Stegemann, a devout Christian, had explicitly rejected the MAiD procedure two months prior to her death because it conflicted with her religious faith, stating she wanted to pass away naturally.The Assessment: While her granddaughter and primary advocate was away on a 10-day trip, care facility staff allegedly restarted MAiD discussions with Stegemann privately. During her medical assessments, the family claims she showed severe cognitive decline and disorientation—such as failing to remember how many siblings she had.Lack of Final Consent: On the day of the procedure, her family alleges she was crying, disoriented, and offered no final verbal confirmation or consent. Instead, she stayed silent with her hands clasped in prayer as the lethal injection was administered.The Belleville Police Criminal Investigations Division and Ontario authorities are currently investigating the case to determine if legal safeguards and consent protocols were violated.

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 15:20:18

Sounds horrific. I’ll like to hear more detail before commenting further.

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 15:25:09

www.foxnews.com/media/family-sounds-alarm-83-year-old-woman-dies-canadas-assisted-death-program.amp

Fallingstar Tue 22-Sept-26 15:26:50

Yes it does sound horrific. I do worry about any possible abuse of assisted dying. Like Cossy will wait until more information on this is available.

Cossy Tue 22-Sept-26 15:30:36

My DGM had stomach cancer in the mid 70’s.

She was sent home to die when it spread.

I would have been about 14 or so. I recall visiting her in her bedroom. She was very calm and clearly very medicated, but awake. Her bedroom window was a large bay and it looked out onto a shrubbery with a very large, green, leafy tree. She could see the canopy of the tree very clearly.

She said to me, “look, can you see the fairies dancing”

She passed away very shortly afterwards, immediately after a visit from our family doctor.

Fallingstar Tue 22-Sept-26 15:31:54

Thanks for the link Cossy, it does sound as though the elderly woman was not in sound mind which means surely that this kind of procedure cannot take place.
The assisted dying bill insists that the person being euthanised must be of sound mind. But there will be abuses imho.

Esmay Tue 22-Sept-26 15:33:49

This is horrendous and actually she has been murdered.
Poor lady
RIP .Brigitte .

CarrotTop Tue 22-Sept-26 15:42:17

If it was really against her will and she was crying because she wanted the process to stop, then it was murder, not euthanasia. A lot of people seem to have difficulty seeing the difference. If she shed tears simply because she was sad to leave the world, or a bit afraid (I certainly would be), then it wasn't murder, it was some poor beggar performing the unenviable task of carrying out her wishes. If, if, if... Cossy's right - without all the relevant details, our imaginations are in danger of running riot. And some people do seem to enjoy starting a riot.

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sept-26 15:57:22

It appears she was afraid and crying that she did not want to die
CarrotTop why are you inferring I want to start a riot I simple passed on some news that I think should be talked about Why would you have a problem with that ?

BlueBelle Tue 22-Sept-26 15:58:58

Maybe you missed the link that Cossy kindly posted

Maremia Tue 22-Sept-26 16:25:26

This is concerning, and very sad.
Doesn't say much for the much vaulted 'safe guards' that are promised .

AGAA4 Tue 22-Sept-26 16:28:03

How cruel to do this when her family weren't there to be with her at the end.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Sept-26 16:31:36

I read the link from Cossy I'm still dubious on the detail.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Sept-26 17:02:32

The one thing that stood out for me in the link provided by cossy was that since 2016 I in every 20 deaths in Canada is through MAiD.

Sorry to those who are pro assisted suicide/euthanasia but this has made me feel even more against this ever being law in England.

butterandjam Tue 22-Sept-26 17:18:32

AGAA4

How cruel to do this when her family weren't there to be with her at the end.

Family were present with her when she died. . It's in the OP; and also in the link later.

rafichagran Tue 22-Sept-26 17:29:13

"Sorry to those who are pro assisted suicide/euthanasia but this has made me feel even more against this ever being law in England"

I agree I feel very uncomfortable about assisted dying.

Emeraldforest Tue 22-Sept-26 17:51:38

Oh my god! I'm not pro assisted dying, I know it's easy to say when I'm healthy.
My husband died young of stomach cancer, his pain was managed very well in a hospice. He remained positive to the end, he was a man of strong faith.

Fallingstar Tue 22-Sept-26 17:56:05

I am conflicted about assisted dying because of this very scenario, either overbearing care/medical staff bullying a vulnerable person into doing this, or u scrupulous family members.
Esther Rantzen is a very wealthy and strong minded woman who, if she had been able to go to dignitas, would have been fully in control of her own death. Others may not be so fortunate.

eazybee Tue 22-Sept-26 18:12:29

This is precisely why many people are not happy about the prospect of Assisted dying. The process is open to abuse.

Maremia Tue 22-Sept-26 18:22:23

If the Family was there, could they not have stopped the procedure?

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 18:24:50

That is disgusting.
I believe it’s up to the individual if they want end their life, but to battles against euthanasia, that is terrible! That poor, poor woman.

MT62 Tue 22-Sept-26 18:25:34

Is that murder?

M0nica Tue 22-Sept-26 18:44:58

This is an example of exactly why I am opposed to assisted dying. I am sure when the act went through their parliament the Canadian legislators were confident that nothing like this case could ever be possible, but this is the problem with this type of legislation - slippage. It has happened with abortion where if parents decide not to abort a child they know will be born disabled, medical staff have been known to pressurise and shame them to make them change their minds.

TerriBull Tue 22-Sept-26 19:09:59

Some dreadful stories surrounding euthanasia have come out of Canada and The Netherlands. Euthanasia suggested to disabled people for example. How did they get so far down that road. This particular story sounds horrific and cruel. Again, one wonders how far removed such an unethical killing would have strayed from the original safeguarding legislation. I think elderly people and the disabled could be encouraged to be sent on their way once a state sees the benefit of not having to maintain people who are dependent on expensive medical care. I remember reading a story from Canada about a disabled woman who asked for ramps to her home to be put in outside her home and she had it suggested to her maybe she'd consider euthanasia instead. The stuff of a dark dystopian society but then there has been other stuff associated with Canada which I've also found cold hearted and very undemocratic.

TerriBull Tue 22-Sept-26 19:19:16

To be precise on the woman I referred to in my post. Paralympian and army veteran Christine Gauthier, Canada offered to euthanise her when she asked for a wheelchair stairlift to be installed in her home.