Gransnet forums

News & politics

EU debate 12th October

(22 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 11:05:45

I have mentioned this on the Canada EU thread, but I think it is important enough to warrant its own thread.

I have contacted my MP via European Movement U.K., and the letter is posted below (I can’t do links).

Please everyone this is so important for our children’s and grandchildrens future.

You can be absolutely certain that the £74 million gifted toto Reform and Farage will go towards bombarding the country with propaganda - and if last time is anything to go by - many falsehoods.

Don’t let him get away with it again.

Cossy Fri 18-Sept-26 11:07:16

I’ve already contacted my MP with my concerns in a normal email, but quite happy to add my voice to this too.

Thank you thanks

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 11:09:15

The letter

Dear recipient's full name will go here,

I am writing as your constituent to ask you to attend the parliamentary debate on 12 October about the United Kingdom's relationship with the European Union and our economic future.

I believe, along with The European Movement, that it is time for our country to have a more ambitious conversation about Europe.

The decisions we make about Europe now will help determine what kind of economy and country we have in five, ten and twenty years' time.

The world is changing quickly.

Artificial intelligence, global trade, climate change, European security and the race for new industries and investment will shape the next decade. The United Kingdom needs to decide what role we want to play in it.

I want to see a confident United Kingdom with a stronger economy, more opportunities for young people and businesses, and a stronger voice in shaping the decisions that affect our continent.

That means we need politicians who are prepared to think beyond the next election and talk seriously about where our relationship with Europe should ultimately lead.

The debate on 12 October is an opportunity to start that conversation.

Please, as your constituent, will you attend the debate and make the case for an ambitious European future for the United Kingdom?

I would also be interested to know where you believe the United Kingdom's relationship with Europe should be in ten years' time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Graphite Fri 18-Sept-26 11:09:59

See the thread I have just started WWM2.

It seems some of the money is earmarked for a new YouTube TV channel poaching staff from GB News.

silverlining48 Fri 18-Sept-26 11:10:13

I can’t see the letter you mention WWM but agree entirely.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Sept-26 11:15:06

silverlining48

I can’t see the letter you mention WWM but agree entirely.

My post 11.09😊

silverlining48 Fri 18-Sept-26 12:38:32

I meant so that I can copy it to my MP too, but have signed the petition. I will write separately to him.

Cruiselover Fri 18-Sept-26 18:05:45

@cossy
We voted to leave.

Have a look at what's been going on in European parliament and the leaders who finally are making a stand against VDL, evil women that she is. They are all finally waking up to the absolute disaster un controlled immigration has been, some leaders, Greece, Spain, Germany, are calling for the EU to end, saying exactly what it is a controlling group of people trying to control all the countries, which is the Agenda 30, KALARGI PLAN, George Soros plan. In other words communism, which is exactly the path Burnham is taking, they are all following the same agenda. The further we are away from EU the better. I can't wait for the day I see it fall.

ReturningFromExile Fri 18-Sept-26 20:29:29

I should imagine that Putin is looking forward to the EU's collapse as well....1

Norah Fri 18-Sept-26 21:02:10

Whitewavemark2

The letter

Dear recipient's full name will go here,

I am writing as your constituent to ask you to attend the parliamentary debate on 12 October about the United Kingdom's relationship with the European Union and our economic future.

I believe, along with The European Movement, that it is time for our country to have a more ambitious conversation about Europe.

The decisions we make about Europe now will help determine what kind of economy and country we have in five, ten and twenty years' time.

The world is changing quickly.

Artificial intelligence, global trade, climate change, European security and the race for new industries and investment will shape the next decade. The United Kingdom needs to decide what role we want to play in it.

I want to see a confident United Kingdom with a stronger economy, more opportunities for young people and businesses, and a stronger voice in shaping the decisions that affect our continent.

That means we need politicians who are prepared to think beyond the next election and talk seriously about where our relationship with Europe should ultimately lead.

The debate on 12 October is an opportunity to start that conversation.

Please, as your constituent, will you attend the debate and make the case for an ambitious European future for the United Kingdom?

I would also be interested to know where you believe the United Kingdom's relationship with Europe should be in ten years' time.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Thank you for posting this.

LemonJam Sat 19-Sept-26 12:01:36

Cruuiselover 18.05. You're not a fan of either Ursula or the EU that's clear. But you are in the minority on both.

Ursula von der Leyon was first elected 2028 as President of EU then democratically re- elected in 2024 with an absolute majority. That majority clearly does not consider her "evil".

We can all see the adverse impact the UK has experienced since leaving the EU. Further the polls indicate the majority of the population wishes we had never voted leave and left the EU. That's democracy.

Thanks for the letter template WWM- most helpful.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Sept-26 08:31:49

BBC news reported the other day that following a recent national poll, only 20% of those questioned still supported Brexit, while 80% wanted closer ties to Europe.
No one asked me but I am with the 80%.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sept-26 08:35:14

Canada minister, putting out feelers to see if the U.K. would join up with Canada in closer working with the EU.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Sept-26 09:27:20

I have no problem with having a close working relationship with the EU or any other democratic country.

Not a fan of rejoining at the moment.

AGAA4 Mon 21-Sept-26 10:24:54

Whitewavemark2

Canada minister, putting out feelers to see if the U.K. would join up with Canada in closer working with the EU.

I would like to see this happen.

Fallingstar Mon 21-Sept-26 10:27:13

Am sending that letter today.
Thanks Whitewavemark.

Fallingstar Mon 21-Sept-26 10:29:20

Whitewavemark2

Canada minister, putting out feelers to see if the U.K. would join up with Canada in closer working with the EU.

Yes, is a bloody good idea 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽
And anyone who bangs on about increased immigration should think so too because closer ties with Europe on this issue is much more likely to yield results than remaining isolated.

TerriBull Mon 21-Sept-26 10:39:15

Whilst I didn't vote to leave and I can see the benefits of a close working relationship with the EU, they are of course geographically our closest neighbours. Nevertheless, swathes of Europe are moving to the right and increasingly various countries seem to be pulling in different directions. Ideologically parts of Europe appear disunited, perhaps they always were. The rise of the AFD in Germany, I think they are far right as opposed to just right leaning, we do need to make that distinction between right and far right, is of concern particularly as they appear to want a close relationship with Russia which is truly baffling confused

Whitewavemark2 Mon 21-Sept-26 14:41:58

Just watching the Canadian Minister - all sounds very positive.

David49 Mon 21-Sept-26 15:35:28

silverlining48

BBC news reported the other day that following a recent national poll, only 20% of those questioned still supported Brexit, while 80% wanted closer ties to Europe.
No one asked me but I am with the 80%.

We can have closer ties with EU anytime we want, all we have to do is accept their rules including Schengen, until then was suffer on the outside.
There was never any cherry picking, their way or the highway

silverlining48 Tue 22-Sept-26 08:28:08

It goes without saying that joining a club means paying the fees and agreeing to the rules.
There was cherry picking the first time but unlikely to be offered a second time. Europe is our neighbour, not America or anywhere else. United we stand, divided we fall.

David49 Tue 22-Sept-26 09:04:34

The UK and EU will be cautious about stronger ties with Canada, with Trump rampant any big agreement could backfire badly. Even Canada is careful not to escalate the trade war with the US, we will do the same.
Of course if Trump gets emasculated in the mid term elections trade could get easier.